SteamVR crashing a lot lately - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
sirrah

Unhappy SteamVR crashing a lot lately

Anyone else experiencing this? (If not, I'll have to further investigate what's going on here)

Since last SteamVR update, SteamVR seems to crash at about 15mins after first startup. After restarting SteamVR (and DCS) it keeps working.
System specs: i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- HP Reverb v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat
sirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
sirrah

I suppose I'm the only one having these issues then.

Does anyone have any idea where I could start investigating what's going on? Or is there a way to see a crash log somewhere?

(all I get is this critical error, without any further explanation )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_08_11_18_20_52_Window.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	244588  
System specs: i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- HP Reverb v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat
Old 08-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
speed-of-heat

i had this once today, the only thin g i can think of is make sure you have WMR for steam on the beta as well...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 1080ti FTW 11Gb, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb Pro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView, CombatFlite

VR Stuff: My 2.5.5 DCS VR Settings, My 2.5.6. DCS VR Settings, Shaders MOD for VR My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & Stable
speed-of-heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
VitS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrah View Post
I suppose I'm the only one having these issues then.

Does anyone have any idea where I could start investigating what's going on? Or is there a way to see a crash log somewhere?

(all I get is this critical error, without any further explanation )
Is it extremely hot at your location just like rest of Europe? Maybe this is just caused by PC overheating?
VitS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
sirrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitS View Post
Is it extremely hot at your location just like rest of Europe? Maybe this is just caused by PC overheating?
It is indeed. However, it would surprise me if SteamVR would crash because of this. Only SteamVR crashes, not my entire pc.

Then again, maybe someone with more knowledge of these kind of things could jump in and correct me
Old 08-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #6
Maggot

Exact same thing happened to me a few days ago. Has never happened before.
I can’t offer any help as to the cause, but at least you’re not alone...
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:13 PM   #7
eaglecash867

Your Steam installation may just be corrupted. I had that problem with mine several weeks ago, where SteamVR would randomly crash, lockup, or not want to shut down. While that was going on, any time I was playing a VR game and wanted to stop playing that one and start playing another, I couldn't ever get the new game to start in VR. I would actually have to restart my PC each time I wanted to switch the game I was playing. Tried everything I could think of, and nothing fixed it. Then I decided to uninstall the whole Steam application and start over with that. Just had to tell the new installation where to find my library, and I was back in business with no more issues. It was actually fairly painless to do that.
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1. Partridge and pear tree pending.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
Werewolf_fs

I had problems with SteamVR stability when customizing steam options for dcs and using reprojection from steamVR and not from default.vrsettings.

So disable it in Steam and enable it in the default.vrsettings file improved stability with my Reverb
Werewolf_fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
CobaltUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrah View Post
Anyone else experiencing this? (If not, I'll have to further investigate what's going on here)

Since last SteamVR update, SteamVR seems to crash at about 15mins after first startup. After restarting SteamVR (and DCS) it keeps working.
+1
CobaltUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #10
coduster

having similar problems here, too.

Steam VR Beta had been automagically disabled, presumably by the update. Re-enabling didn't fix. Going to go for the Steam re-install.
coduster is offline   Reply With Quote