About those IRIS-T missiles... - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-11-2020, 01:41 AM   #1
r4y30n

Default About those IRIS-T missiles...

It's pretty widely advertised that the IRIS-T is capable of "interception of opponents' missiles," as Diehl puts it. Is it pretty reliable in that role or is it more of a theoretical capability? On paper it sounds like Star Trek shields when coupled with the Praetorian DASS. Until you run out of missiles, anyway...

https://www.diehl.com/defence/en/pro...ssiles/#iris-t
r4y30n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:13 AM   #2
Southernbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4y30n View Post
It's pretty widely advertised that the IRIS-T is capable of "interception of opponents' missiles," as Diehl puts it. Is it pretty reliable in that role or is it more of a theoretical capability? On paper it sounds like Star Trek shields when coupled with the Praetorian DASS. Until you run out of missiles, anyway...

I mean there is a Grim Reaper video (despite what you or others may think of them) which Cap shoots down SA-10 missiles and SA-6 missiles using (I want to say?) R-73s from a Sukoi or Mig? So the concept is in the game.

Plus you can shoot down cruise missiles with the AIM-54s and shoot down SCUD missiles in flight with AIM-120s before they reach max speed.

Hell in the F-14 I shot down my own AIM-9M by locking the second on onto it's smoke trail

So yes, it probably will have that ability but nothing about it is automatic so you will still need to see, identify and fire before it hits you....hell I'm willing to bet you could do it with an AIM-9X its just because its not known for this ability people don't try it.
Southernbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:53 AM   #3
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:

This is already possible in DCS with pretty much all of the modern missiles. I have seen it happening multiple times in multiplayer, that players defended themselves against incomming AMRAAMs by shooting them down with their Heatseekers.

The IRIS-T is a very advanced missile nonetheless. It has over the shoulder capability, meaning the Eurofighter pilot can use its RWR to lock on a bandit at his 6 o'clock and launch a missile at him.

Another interesting random little detail about the IRIS-T is, that the missile contains a data base with pictures of the most common adversary aircraft, taken from various angles. The missiles uses this database to aim for the most vulnerable parts of the aircraft, of which up to 8 of them are stored in that data base.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
r4y30n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbear View Post
So yes, it probably will have that ability but nothing about it is automatic so you will still need to see, identify and fire before it hits you....
Why wouldn't it be automatic? Praetorian can see incoming missiles and presumably tell the WCS where to shoot.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #5
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Why wouldn't it be automatic? Praetorian can see incoming missiles and presumably tell the WCS where to shoot.
Because responsibility to employ weapons (and potentially kill someone) lies with the pilot.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:51 AM   #6
r4y30n

Sure, the pilot has to pull the trigger. All I’m asking is if the Typhoon was designed to use the IRIS-T as a defense against incoming missiles.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
hi41000

Quote:
Sure, the pilot has to pull the trigger. All I’m asking is if the Typhoon was designed to use the IRIS-T as a defense against incoming missiles.
Yes it is advertised as such, although i doubt its usefulness in a fight with Fox 2s, should be pretty good against larger missiles that are designed for bvr, ie s-300s, sa-6s r-33s etc.
although i assume the pilot has to target the missile manually and tell it to fire, especially since the thing carries like 300+ chaff for defeating missiles, and the plane can and will tell you to turn at a certain amount of g's inorder to defeat the missile.
it may have a use if you somehow go through your 320 chaff and there is another missile inbound or if there is a missile that is added that has no notch and nearly perfect countermeasure resistance

Last edited by hi41000; 08-12-2020 at 04:50 PM.
hi41000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi41000 View Post
although i assume the pilot has to target the missile manually and tell it to fire, especially since the thing carries like 300+ chaff for defeating missiles,
And a towed decoy!

Old 08-14-2020, 07:22 AM   #9
r4y30n

Here I am living in the analog world of the F-14 while the kids are raving about newfangled contraptions like towed decoys and computers that tell you how to defeat missiles lol.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #10
Spectre11

Long story cut short there is no automatism to cue any heatseeker on an incoming threat missile. The DASS isn't used for targeting either. These are myths.
Spectre11 is offline   Reply With Quote