DCS Mi-8 is 7 years now, time for an update ? - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-14-2020, 05:13 AM   #71
Art-J
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobie View Post
So, perhaps a CRUDE modelling of wing icing (rotary or stuck wing) could be considered?
As for the engines... I'm puzzled with what you wrote! I always try to be a good boy and when depressed Natasha complains about icing I immediately switch all the de-ice gear on. This way I've never had a chance to experience what happens when you ignore the gloomy girl. Would you mind elaborating a bit on what effects on the engines one may expect? If there's any, I'm in heaven as otherwise it feels so strange/fake/childish to operate a non-functioning system.
It's been 3 or so years since I last flew the Hip in ice-inducing conditions, but I vaguely remember engine pressures/temps/RPMs drops and fluctuations being the result, decreasing power output I presume. I was flying empty at that time so I could continue, but I imagine it could be a problem when flying heavily loaded or trying to hover at high density altitude conditions.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:07 AM   #72
Hueyman

It's really one of the most detailed and in-depth system simulation ever made around, really under rated ..

I believe I saw somewhere they have a slightly different version directly used for FTD Level 3 Mi-8/17 simulators for real crews Type Rating ..

It looks very advanced and feature complete system wise, maybe only a cosmetic overhaul, to be on par with incoming Mil Mi-24 ( looking STELLAR ) would be welcommed !

I'd be ready to financially support this, like Black Shark 2,3 .. and A-10 II ..

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)
Hueyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #73
Rogue Trooper

cosmetic is all that is required with this girl, multicrew also perhaps.

It was done top notch in the beginning and upgraded over years to where this superb module stands now.

I never find anything to moan about with this module... Belsimtek at their very best.

HP pro Reverb.

Current settings:
Windows VR setting: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, 90Hz refresh rate.
Steam: VR SS set to 100%, motionReprojectionMode set to "motionreproduction" and Locked in at 45 Hz display,
DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 2 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA.
My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed.
VR Driver system:
I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and 2080ti graphics card, 32 gigs Ram 3200 Hz. No OC at the mo.
Rogue Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:26 AM   #74
Pikey
Veteran

mi8 is the best chopper module and close to the best module DCS ever had. Whilst I'd support paid updates with something on a feature list, it does raise the question very well, how do you stop people expecting updates when modules have well outlasted their playing timeline? So how many people in 2020 are asking for updates to Far Cry 4? This is a clear disadvantage to the free core, paid DLC model.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #75
slowmover

An update would be great and even better an Mi-17
Old 09-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #76
Mr_sukebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Trooper View Post
cosmetic is all that is required with this girl, multicrew also perhaps.

It was done top notch in the beginning and upgraded over years to where this superb module stands now.

I never find anything to moan about with this module... Belsimtek at their very best.
+1. IMO the best chopper currently available in any sim I’ve tried, and though I’d very much like it to get a visual overhaul and multicrew
Old 09-20-2020, 04:58 AM   #77
|DUSTY|

Yeah I love this thing. Multicrew would be amazing or even an implementation like 'jester' for the Tomcat. The load master is quite basic and it would be great to have your crew guys calling out height to ground like they do RL on any off airport landing. Also going into combat it would be great for them to call out threats.

I don't think they have it RL but a RWR and CMWS would make it a lot more survivable in high threat environments.

I think that's where the only aircraft I'd prefer to the Hip would be a MH-60 variant that has all the bells and whistles plus perhaps some AGM-114 for when you feel like blowin stuff up!

i7 4770 (3.9GHz) - 32GB DDR3(1600MHz) - GeForece GTX 1050TI - 1TB 860 EVO SSD
|DUSTY| is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #78
nessuno0505

I do not own the mi-8 but I think it will be my next purchase when we'll have discounts (october maybe?), despite it's 7 years old. So my personal playing timeline is still up to date.
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:13 PM   #79
Hueyman

It's a very complete and realistic module indeed.

Quite confusing but the Mi-17 is basically the very same Mi-8, but export version. Only Russian operated A/C are designated Mi-8.

The full designation philosophy is quite complex, but saying Mi-17 is an upgraded Mi-8 with tail rotor on the other side is a big simplification. Some Mi-8s ( MTV-5 for instance ) are more performant and younger than older Mi-17-1V.

I agree that this module would only need a 3D/4K/PBR overhaul, maybe a bit regarding the sounds ( the whisling sound of the swashplate driver "scissor" is louder IRL ) but overall a true masterpiece.

Still it is quite limited for serious IFR operations, a VOR/ILS/CDI and a DME would be more than welcome.. but it wouldn't be an Mi-8 MTV2 anymore but civilian MTV1 retrofited with " modern " avionics ( like all current civilian ones around .. )

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)
Hueyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:04 AM   #80
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

Kazan:
Mi-8MT = Mi-17
Mi-8MTV-1 = Mi-17-1V
Mi-8MTV-5 = Mi-17V-5

Ulan-Ude:
Mi-8AMT = Mi-171
Mi-8AMTSh = Mi-171Sh