Bullet traces (smokes) do not match bullet flight path - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
Terzi

Default Bullet traces (smokes) do not match bullet flight path

While going very fast and low, try shoothing the guns. The smokes go straight but the bullets fall down just under it, hitting the ground. You can clearly see that the bullets will fall down in front of you while the traces seem like the bullets are going forward. It is more than just cosmetic issue, it is deception. Better to test it with unlimited ammo.

Terzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terzi View Post
While going very fast and low, try shoothing the guns. The smokes go straight but the bullets fall down just under it, hitting the ground. You can clearly see that the bullets will fall down in front of you while the traces seem like the bullets are going forward. It is more than just cosmetic issue, it is deception. Better to test it with unlimited ammo.

Maybe it is because bullets don't produce smoke. Guns do though. On air to ground shooting ranges you can't see smoke traces till the bullets hit the ground.
Tom Kazansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
Terzi

I do not mean gunpowder smoke, the smoke or trails or humidity (whatever it is), that the bullets create while on its path.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #4
Tom Kazansky

Quote:
I do not mean gunpowder smoke, the smoke or trails or humidity (whatever it is), that the bullets create while on its path.

just checked with the MiG-15 and I see the traces you mean. But when I hit the pause key after an "endless" burst, I can see that they are just a few hundreds of feet in length and then they fade out. So it seems to be comprehensible for me, that the bullets fall down from that axis the more they are further away from the end of the traces.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
Terzi

I think this bug is due to the fact that the smoke (as a software object) is tied to the aircraft itself but not to the bullet or the atmosphere. The pattern of the smoke travels through the air together with the aircraft instead of hanging where they are.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #6
Tom Kazansky

well i just compared the very short smoke traces of the MiG-15bis to the tracer ammunition of the FA-18C which glows very much longer, and i experienced, that the bullets of the Hornet are by far further away from the firing plane before they start to drop noticably, much further away than the length of the MiG's traces are.

i still don't know what kind of ballistic curve one should expect within the first 300ft.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #7
Tom Kazansky

Quote:
I think this bug is due to the fact that the smoke (as a software object) is tied to the aircraft itself but not to the bullet or the atmosphere. The pattern of the smoke travels through the air together with the aircraft instead of hanging where they are.

here the smoke traces don't really travel with the aircraft. my MiG-15bis "overtakes" the starting points of the traces. but firing while turning lets the startpoints "move" towards the center of the circle i fly (upwards from the pilot's pov) . shouldn't they "travel" to the outside (further away from the center of the circle)?

have a very short track (DCS v2.5.6.52437, NTTR map) that shows this from the cockpit view and external too.
Attached Files
File Type: trk MiG-15bis gun traces.trk (53.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #8
Rick50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
well i just compared the very short smoke traces of the MiG-15bis to the tracer ammunition of the FA-18C which glows very much longer, and i experienced, that the bullets of the Hornet are by far further away from the firing plane before they start to drop noticably, much further away than the length of the MiG's traces are.

i still don't know what kind of ballistic curve one should expect within the first 300ft.
in 300 ft you should not be able to see anything with the eye. The amount of drop is likely less than 5 centimeters or 2 inch, considering we are talking about 100m. It's really not far for hunting rifles, and for 20mm cannons and such it's more like point blank range.

But in a very long burst at ground level, sure, you'll see rounds that have gone a long way, now having a trajectory that strikes the ground, and because you are going fast, the impacts will be viewable.

Basically this seems correct to me.
Rick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:49 PM   #9
Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick50 View Post
in 300 ft you should not be able to see anything with the eye. The amount of drop is likely less than 5 centimeters or 2 inch, considering we are talking about 100m. It's really not far for hunting rifles, and for 20mm cannons and such it's more like point blank range.

But in a very long burst at ground level, sure, you'll see rounds that have gone a long way, now having a trajectory that strikes the ground, and because you are going fast, the impacts will be viewable.

Basically this seems correct to me.

That's what i thought too. And i was ok with the smoke traces of the MiG. but then I started testing while turning and there is definitely something wrong when traces climb above the canopy while turning and firing at the same time.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:10 PM   #10
Flagrum
Veteran

Isn't the gun canted upwards a bit, i.e. not parallel to aircrafts center line? To counter a bit of bullet drop and/or help in turning into the enemy.

That could explain what you see: if you shoot exact parallel to the ground, your aircraft attitude would actually be a bit nose-down - i.e. you dive under the traces/bullet path. Or the other way around: if you fly straight an level, you would shoot slightly upward.
Flagrum is online now   Reply With Quote