F-5E update (Wags AMA) - Page 11 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #101
TOViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
will not too much drag be your personal perception?
If I understand your question right: of course, it is!

Just to clarify things regarding my posting:
As I don't fly the real aircraft I can't say it is fact that we have too much drag, thus I did not, and thus I intentionally wrote a "maybe". Some of the guys in the forum seem to notice too much drag on other modules; seems I am not alone with that feeling on my beloved module (AJS).

For me the drag for the F-5 "feels" appropriate, despite some other saying it is too much.
If a guy called Mover had the impression that the F-18 module had too much drag during his flights (I don't know the video, just looking for it, maybe someone can provide me a link with time code), OK, that is another story. He obviously has the experience and can judge this far better. As a programmer (or responsible person for the code) I would instantly take a look into the code, maybe just a number is missing, or there is something simple broken. Sometimes failures are hidden since other failures work in the opposite direction, but not in all situations of course. Everything is complex, so "bugs will happen".

25 years of experience in aviation and a time in aviation maintenance makes me re-asking things more than one time, by looking at the problem from another perspective. If ED would eventually take a look into the libraries of functions calculating drag, fine. If not and they are sure what is going on in the code since it was tested enough, ... I (we) have to live with that I guess. Easy task. A point which we shouldn't forget about perception:
Personal perceptions are sometimes the one and only happenings in finding failures/mistakes/bugs, which needs attitude to accept them; different from the attitude "Im not doing failures/mistakes/bugs because I am professional". But this difference in attitude is "just" human factors.

I have no problem to dig deeper, since the fun for me starts here.
Tiger-II: which videos have you seen and which situations in DCS have you tried? Can you bring us to the same level of knowledge? E.g. can you make a comparison video, like https://youtu.be/DpFIHZJbTtY?t=438 ? Ralfi's video is a good example of how to compare DCS with reality, indeed he had not all date required for a in-depth break-down, but with some good assumptions regarding the situation he most probably made it as good as possible ...
| CSL | i7 6700 @ 4.4 GHz | Asus STRIX GTX 1070 8GB | 32GB 2800 MHz DDR4 | 256 GB SDD SYS + 500 GB SSD DCS + 1 TB HDD | A-10 Warthog Throttle + Stick | Win10 Professional | using Oculus Rift CV1 all the time

Last edited by TOViper; 01-09-2020 at 04:58 PM.
TOViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:21 AM   #102
bbrz

Don't have DCS presently installed, but it's easy to find out if the F-5 has the correct basic drag.

With both engines shut down and at 13300lbs, flaps up and at 250kias, the ROD should be ~3750ft/min, with pylons and/or wingtip missiles or without.

With both engines at idle, DI 0 and at 270kts the ROD should be approximately the same as above but since too high basic drag can be conceiled by increased idle thrust, the idle descent result is naturally less meaningful.

Last edited by bbrz; 01-10-2020 at 03:34 AM.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #103
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOViper View Post
...Personal perceptions are sometimes the one and only happenings in finding failures/mistakes/bugs, which needs attitude to accept them....
True but we need data to be sure of our perceptions
The Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #104
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Don't have DCS presently installed, but it's easy to find out if the F-5 has the correct basic drag.

With both engines shut down and at 13300lbs, flaps up and at 250kias, the ROD should be ~3750ft/min, with pylons and/or wingtip missiles or without.

With both engines at idle, DI 0 and at 270kts the ROD should be approximately the same as above but since too high basic drag can be conceiled by increased idle thrust, the idle descent result is naturally less meaningful.
Exactly such things
The Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #105
ThorBrasil

I hope that after the A-10C v2 and Ka-50 v3 the ED will update the F-5E Tiger II.
|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,
|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,
|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,
|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,
|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,
|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,
|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,
|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,
|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,
|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.
ThorBrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #106
GumidekCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post
Aerobraking requires Pitch input to keep nose up until there is no more lift, then it falls
This is true only as your speed is decreasing. Initialy after touchdown, there should be ground/cushion effect present. As far as Im aware of most of DCS modules, no one simulates this effect and if, than incorectly (example Hornets inverted ground effect which will drag you down into ground).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground..._(aerodynamics)
Quote:
Fixed wing aircraft ground effect
When an aircraft flies at a ground level approximately at or below the half length of the aircraft's wingspan there occurs, depending on airfoil and aircraft design, an often noticeable ground effect. This is caused primarily by the ground interrupting the wingtip vortices and downwash behind the wing. When a wing is flown very close to the ground, wingtip vortices are unable to form effectively due to the obstruction of the ground. The result is lower induced drag, which increases the speed and lift of the aircraft. A wing generates lift by deflecting the oncoming airmass (relative wind) downward. The deflected or "turned" flow of air creates a resultant force on the wing in the opposite direction (Newton's 3rd law). The resultant force is identified as lift. Flying close to a surface increases air pressure on the lower wing surface, nicknamed the "ram" or "cushion" effect, and thereby improves the aircraft lift-to-drag ratio. The lower/nearer the wing is with regards to the ground, the more pronounced the ground effect becomes. While in the ground effect, the wing requires a lower angle of attack to produce the same amount of lift. If the angle of attack and velocity remain constant, an increase in the lift coefficient ensues, which accounts for the "floating" effect. Ground effect also alters thrust versus velocity, where reduced induced drag requires less thrust in order to maintain the same velocity.
Low winged aircraft are more affected by ground effect than high wing aircraft. Due to the change in up-wash, down-wash, and wingtip vortices there may be errors in the airspeed system while in ground effect due to changes in the local pressure at the static source.
GumidekCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #107
ngreenaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorBrasil View Post
I hope that after the A-10C v2 and Ka-50 v3 the ED will update the F-5E Tiger II.
I certainly hope not,

Modules: All of them
System:
Spoiler:
I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE
ngreenaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:27 AM   #108
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorBrasil View Post
I'd be happy if they just fixed the English manual. It's full of typos, mistranslations and just plain sections written in Russian.
Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #109
launchedsquid

have you ever reported them? I've found most devs are happy to receive those reports and make the changes fairly quickly.
launchedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #110
ThorBrasil

Quote:
Originally Posted by panton41 View Post
I'd be happy if they just fixed the English manual. It's full of typos, mistranslations and just plain sections written in Russian.
What is missing in the manual is the launch parameters for the Mk 82 Snakeye.
|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,
|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,
|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,
|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,
|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,
|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,
|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,
|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,
|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,
|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.
ThorBrasil is offline   Reply With Quote