Interesting fact about the F-16 Side Stick Controller - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
Deano87

Default Interesting fact about the F-16 Side Stick Controller

Hey all.

I'm sure I'm way late to the party on this but this is something I just stumbled upon while researching how/where I should mount my FSSB stick in preparation for the F-16, I didn't know about it so I thought I'd post it here just incase its new info for anybody else.

Apparently the force axises on the F-16 stick are rotated 12 degrees to the right. So to pull full up elevator with no roll input you actually have to pull the stick slightly towards you as well, this makes sense from an ergonomic point of view.

I found a thread about it on F-16.net with the attached picture and John Will (Structural flight test engineer for General Dynamics on the YF-16 and F-16 programs from 1973 until 1985) replied and confirmed that it is indeed correct. He also went on to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill @ F-16.net
The original YF-16 stick, in addition to being rigid, was aligned with the airplane axis system. It was found that pilots had a tendency to input some small roll command while trying to do a pure pitch pull up. Not sure when the change was made, but production airplanes have a stick with a small amount of motion in addition to the 12 degree rotated axis.

So, yes, if you pull straight back on the stick (airplane axis) you will get a small right roll command.
Really interesting!

I should point out that the Stick top itself is still aligned with the for/aft aircraft axis but its just the force sensors in the stick base that are rotated. Because Of this fact I'm going to mount my FSSB straight and then use the supplied software to rotate the output as thats possible.

Anyway, like I said I guess lots of people already knew this but I found interesting anyhow.

Here is the link to the F-16.net thread about it.
http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24779

DCS F-16C REALLY IS A THING! - BLOCK 50 BABY!!!

My Screenshots - Excited About = PointCTRL VR
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
Der Hirte

Good to know for setting up the controls as realistic as possible. Good one.
Der Hirte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #3
r4y30n

Man, this reminds me of going to Magic Edge in the '90s, they had full motion simulator cockpits based off the F-16 (including force-sensing side sticks) despite the game putting you in a Hornet.

https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=832
r4y30n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #4
Harker

Good find! If I convert my setup to a side-stick one, I'll rotate it like that.
Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700k @4.9GHz, RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra @2130MHz, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 @3000CL15, Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB, 970 Evo Plus 1TB, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Acer Predator XB271HK|Warthog w/extension, TPR pedals, 3 Cougar MFDs, MT desk mounts, TrackIR w/Pro clip, Win10 x64 Home|
F/A-18C, F-16C, AV-8B, A-10C, M-2000C, F-14, P-51D, Sptifire, BS2, FC3, Caucasus, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf
Harker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #5
pngflyer

Here's another interesting fact. A side stick could be considered a liability in combat. When the Israelis were designing the Lavi, they decided to go with a center stick so that the pilot could still control the aircraft even with a damaged right arm... Sure, the odds are pretty low, but in certain instances a center stick could make the difference between an injured pilot getting the aircraft home or not.
pngflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 AM   #6
CYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngflyer View Post
Here's another interesting fact. A side stick could be considered a liability in combat. When the Israelis were designing the Lavi, they decided to go with a center stick so that the pilot could still control the aircraft even with a damaged right arm... Sure, the odds are pretty low, but in certain instances a center stick could make the difference between an injured pilot getting the aircraft home or not.
Yea not being able to use your left hand at all to control the stick is a disaster waiting to happen. The issue isn't just getting injured in battle and not being able to use your right arm, there's bound to be some sort of medical situation with someone flying jets with side sticks one day. Whether it's a cardiovascular event, first symptoms of a brain tumor or ms, something is going to end badly because of that control setup.

I've flown aircraft IRL with the center stick in my left hand and the throttle on the right hand side. Even though I'm right handed, I had no issues flying the aircraft with my left hand at all.

I wonder what the wrist strain is like for F-16/F-22/F-35 pilots? Mounting and using a joystick on the right hand side for DCS is more uncomfortable for my wrist than it was using a center mounted stick in real life while pulling 6+ G's doing aerobatic routines.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:17 AM   #7
Paganus

The stick barely moves at all. It's just a big pressure switch.
Paganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:39 AM   #8
Deano87

It might not move much but it still requires 25lb of force to demand full pitch command and 17lb in roll, so there’s still a bit of force there. Although the people that I know personally who’ve flown the F-16 mainly complain about neck problems related to the seat recline angle more than anything else, nice problem to have I suppose lol.

DCS F-16C REALLY IS A THING! - BLOCK 50 BABY!!!

My Screenshots - Excited About = PointCTRL VR
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:23 AM   #9
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano87 View Post
It might not move much but it still requires 25lb of force to demand full pitch command and 17lb in roll, so there’s still a bit of force there. Although the people that I know personally who’ve flown the F-16 mainly complain about neck problems related to the seat recline angle more than anything else, nice problem to have I suppose lol.
Although the F-16 is my favourite airplane and I've got many books etc. about heir, I didn't know about sidestick axis or the neck problems.
Very interesting info, thanx
bbrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:00 AM   #10
WildWeasel303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano87 View Post
I don't think it's the seat position they're primarily talking about. At least in our case and a few of my buddies in other units, it's the HMIT system for the helmet that's causing the neck issues because the helmet isn't weighted correctly. There's a lot of squadrons that are transitioning to a new system to correct that.

Having messed with the stick during flight control ops checks and rigs more than my fair share, I can confirm on Block 30's that it takes a good amount of force on the stick to get full deflection from a control surface. Block 40's and up aren't quite the same since everything was upgraded to newer shit. Haven't personally messed with any directly, but I've got a few former Block 40 guys working with me from other units that talk about how much better/easier they are to work on vs Block 30's.
System: Fractal Meshify C / Ryzen 2600x @ 4.1gHz / 16gb Trident Z 3000mHz / ROG Strix B-450F / Corsair H110i Pro / MSi Ventus OC RTX2060 / 1TB SSD / Corsair RM1000x / TrackIR 5 / Logitech X56 Rhino / Astro A40 TR+Mixamp
WildWeasel303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f-16, f-16 stick, fssb, ssc, stick