2.5.6 30 seconds quick vr performanced test

fab.13

Hello,

Here is the way i have been using to tune my VR Settings since 2 years :

- Start Windows

- Start Oculus Home

- Plug Occulus Headset only ( hand controlers not needed )

- BUT don't put it on your head, leave it on your desk ...

- Check Oculus Home detect your headset

- Start DCS World in VR Mode

- Stay on Main Menu, don't play ;-)

- Display FPS counter ( CTRL + ALT + Pause )

Results :

- Open Beta 2.5.6 : 127 fps

- Stable 2.5.5 : 175 fps

Graphics settings are the same

Every well known tips have been done as usual ( "saved folder" deleted and graphics settings redone )

We shouldn't care about fps and so on

We need smooth, playable, and nice VR experience.

Stable 2.5.5 is very good in VR now in my point of view.

Open Beta 2.5.6 is not so good for now, but everybody is working hard to get it better ;-)

What are your results ?

Thanks.

Interesting idea, but no good for my Pimax, it's capped at 82fps which is the refresh rate of the headset and shows as such in both Stable and Open Beta in the menu

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Open Beta 2.5.6

For me the fps problem its a new water in this 2.5.6. Over water I noticed fps drop / stutter. Over ground is near the same.

I had MSAA x2 but with 2.5.6 I must turn it off to have acceptable FPS.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Same difference between stable 2.5.5 and the 2.5.6 released today.

What could make the main menu downgrade about VR performances ?

The current 2.5.6 rendering has performances downgrade for some VR people.

Even in the main menu itself on my machine

And it is a very simple gauge, no need to fly.

And we can feel this differences when flying too.

Please Occulus CV1 owners coud do the test ?

Thanks

HP reverb is the same thing. It even doesn't hold 90fps on the main screen, it will dip into the 70's and 80's with the same settings I had in 2.5.5 that were solidly 90s. The main screen.... I have no idea whats going on with that.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

HP reverb is the same thing. It even doesn't hold 90fps on the main screen, it will dip into the 70's and 80's with the same settings I had in 2.5.5 that were solidly 90s. The main screen.... I have no idea whats going on with that.

Lights :D.

Old hangar was darkner ;).

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

True !

Main menu looks very nice now indeed.

New light system is nice in VR

But it seems to need much more GPU calculation at this time in 2.5.6

So i decided to redo DCS graphics settings from scratch and all well known combination with nvidia control panel

In order to retrieve a good VR experience in 2.5.6,

I lowered 'quality filter textures' in nvidia control panel to 'High Performances'

So It is not as good as in Stable 2.5.5 about textures, but it is playable.

Wait and see about ED team about tuning, i thrust them.

If 2.5.6 goes to stable in this way, i should have to buy a more powerful graphic card ( planned for me in anyway )

PS:

I found a fps killer : Terrain Shadow ( Flat )

If you look at shadow itself when on ground : fps are divided by 2

That's a proof that light has been rebuild ;-)

Edited by fab.13

If you look at shadow itself when on ground : fps are divided by 2

That's a proof that light has been rebuild ;-)

I'll try it. I have Shadows FLAT turn on.

I notice stutter in 2.5.6 :( what wasnt in 2.5.5. All settings are the same.

Stutter its a case of not stable FPS (with motionreprojection as auto). Not stable 45 but now the sim has a problem to stay with the same level of FPS. I have not 45 but somethng like 41-53 what its a big downgrade of FPS, especially on the PG map near water and the feeling of smoothing what wee see on VR picture.

Only when I look to the sky I have stable 45 or 90 (refresh rate 90).

2.5.6 doesnt improve any VR promised performence announced for a year, pity ...

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

About the main menu, reducing the PD from 1.2 to 1.0 is the only way to get same fps between 2.5.6 and 2.5.5 on my machine

I have now to test that in cockpit

Perhaps the new ligth system allow us to reduce PD ?

Edited by fab.13

I checked it, no any issue if its turn on or off. The same.

But something is wrong with MSAA now. Before in 2.5.5 I used x2. Now I see not stable FPS with this (so no 45 or 90).

If it will be turn off is better, now it stable and if SSAA will be ON is better also (stable). So maybe MSAA here is fps killer?

I dont know if SSAAx1.5 do something here, didnt noticed differences between off or on in the quality picture in VR.

XS47hJOl.jpg

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Hello,

We should have to rebuild all VR settings starting from minimum ( nvidia control panel included ),

did you take time to rebuild them ?

After an acceptable balance settings choosen in 2.5.6 ( not as good as in 2.5.5 as we know ) ,

i tried a flight at night,

the new light system is amazing !!

and very much smoother than in day light...

Question. Obviously nvidia and index settings stay the same, but if I have both stable and OB installs separately, will changing settings in the DCS settings area only effect the version I am in?

I am considering the upgrade to the newest beta but I have stable pretty well dialed in and don’t want to screw it up.

Thanks!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

I have always done the OP test with CV1 and now Rift S. 2.5.5 consistently 105 plus or minus a couple of FPS. 2.5.6 high 60’s to low 70’s with same settings. I was comfortable with 2.5.5 FPS and can live with the current rates but hope they can be tweaked.

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

Question. Obviously nvidia and index settings stay the same, but if I have both stable and OB installs separately, will changing settings in the DCS settings area only effect the version I am in?

I am considering the upgrade to the newest beta but I have stable pretty well dialed in and don’t want to screw it up.

Thanks!

Correct, they run independent of each other.

I checked it, no any issue if its turn on or off. The same.

But something is wrong with MSAA now. Before in 2.5.5 I used x2. Now I see not stable FPS with this (so no 45 or 90).

If it will be turn off is better, now it stable and if SSAA will be ON is better also (stable). So maybe MSAA here is fps killer?

I dont know if SSAAx1.5 do something here, didnt noticed differences between off or on in the quality picture in VR.

XS47hJOl.jpg

I turn off Chimney Smoke completely. It kills framerates for me when its on.

I tried 2.5.6 this past Sunday for the first time and so far I'm not seeing most of the problems that people are reporting. There was kind of strange behavior when switching my MFCDs in the A-10C to display video from the outside world. It was a brief moment where the picture froze, became scrambled, and then went right back to normal like nothing had happened. But, other than that, everything seems fine. A positive change I noticed is my ability to spot ground targets. I found that I was also able to practically eyeball a Maverick all the way to impact on a target 5 miles away, and I had never been able to do that before in VR. So far, I haven't seen a noticeable degradation of performance.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Hello eaglecash867,

Please could you do the VR main menu test with your CV1 as described at the beginning of the post ?

I suspect current 2.5.6 need much more GPU power in VR than 2.5.5

It's as simple as that.

And the main menu can show that.

You need 2.5.6 and 2.5.5 and same graphics settings.

Thanks

...my results:

2.5.5: 200 fps

2.5.5 + mod shaders: 300 fps

2.5.6: 170 fps

I see that it goes to me at 40 fps with drops (Rift S PD 1.2) Flat shadows and MSAA x2

We will try to see how it goes with the MOD and how much the graphics degrade - which by the way are really spectacular!

Greetings

Edited by CaptYosi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ryzen 3700X, RTX 2080, 32GB 3600MHz, W10 64 & Rift S

Whilst on the subject of performance, I also notice a drop in fps / smoothness going from Open Beta 2.5.5 to 2.5.6. I only have the Open Beta installed which, with all the extra modules takes up 174 Gb. If I also installed the stable version to get some performance back would it use another 174 Gb or would it share some folders?

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

Hello Terry,

Open beta and stable version cannot share files

But download is accelerated by coping from your drive

In order to test the main menu, you do not need all modules and all terrains you own

Edited by fab.13

Hello CaptYosi

Thank you for sharing

New light system is very beautiful yes

We are now interested about how it cost

Beauty is not free ;-)

Low power machine are very much impacted for now

PS:

Stutters are out of the scope, it is not the same problem

Power can do nothing about stutters i think

I’m curious how are you getting over 100 FPS in Vr... those have to be 2d numbers?! What are you using to measure it...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg