Mod for Radio Communication Commands [VR] - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #1
blunt_waco

Talking Mod for Radio Communication Commands [VR]

Does anyone know if I can bind radio communication commands to HOTAS (F1-F12)? I use VR and trying to find the correct F key while having the headset on is not practical/possible without taking the headset off. I searched but it does look like it was implemented in the control setting so any mods out there can do this?

I hope DCS would implement this in future releases.
Thanks.
blunt_waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
majapahit

use voice /VoiceAttack ("F1" or "1" might be too short voice commands and can be inadvertently triggered, so use longer ones for open mike commands)
| VR googles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 32GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 40" 1080p TV | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |
majapahit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
SL PAK
Veteran

or use mouse in radio menu
SL PAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
LeCuvier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt_waco View Post
Does anyone know if I can bind radio communication commands to HOTAS (F1-F12)? I use VR and trying to find the correct F key while having the headset on is not practical/possible without taking the headset off. I searched but it does look like it was implemented in the control setting so any mods out there can do this?

I hope DCS would implement this in future releases.
Thanks.
It would help if you stated which radio communication commands you are after.
If you want the commands that you select from the communication menu, I have to pass (you would very quickly run out of buttons anyway):
I have bound Comm Switch COMM 1 and COMM 2 to the Microphone 4-way hat on the TM WH throttle, UFC COMM 1 Channel CW/CCW and UFC COMM 2 Channel CW/CCW to up7down toggles on my button box, UFC COMM 1 Channel Selector PULL and UFC COMM 2 Channel Selector PULL to pushbuttons on my button box. That's all I need.
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5
LeCuvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
blunt_waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by majapahit View Post
use voice /VoiceAttack ("F1" or "1" might be too short voice commands and can be inadvertently triggered, so use longer ones for open mike commands)
I did not know about this, sounds brilliant. I will check it out....
Old 01-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
blunt_waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL PAK View Post
or use mouse in radio menu
How, I tried yesterday with LAlt+C but mouse has no affect on radio menu!
Old 01-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
blunt_waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCuvier View Post
It would help if you stated which radio communication commands you are after.
If you want the commands that you select from the communication menu, I have to pass (you would very quickly run out of buttons anyway):
I have bound Comm Switch COMM 1 and COMM 2 to the Microphone 4-way hat on the TM WH throttle, UFC COMM 1 Channel CW/CCW and UFC COMM 2 Channel CW/CCW to up7down toggles on my button box, UFC COMM 1 Channel Selector PULL and UFC COMM 2 Channel Selector PULL to pushbuttons on my button box. That's all I need.
the menu you get on the top right corner to communicate with: ground crew, ATC, Wingman, etc...
F1
F12

I don't want to look for the F keys on the keyboard when I have the VR headset on. I was hopping to bind them or scroll through them with HOTAS.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
Skeinon

isn't it easier to look at the radio menu, find the desired row and then press the joystick button associated with the mouse click?
Skeinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #9
Harker
DCS Ground Crew

Honestly, like majapahit says, just use Voice Attack. Go one step further with VAICOM Pro. Voice Attack costs 10$ and I just checked, VAICOM Pro costs 6.5€ for the core package (voice commands library and other related goodies that integrate really well with DCS) and has a bundle deal right now, 13.95€ for the core, the AI RIO (you can talk to Jester in the F-14) and the Chatter packs (it can play background radio comms, depending on which aircraft you're flying).

So for a combined cost of around 25$, you'll never have to use the mouse for comms ever again. I've spent several hundreds on equipment for DCS, but those few $ made a huge difference, at least for me.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #10
blunt_waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeinon View Post
isn't it easier to look at the radio menu, find the desired row and then press the joystick button associated with the mouse click?
You mean I can select a command using radio menu as shown in the attached file?
How would I select F5 on the radio menu?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio Menu.png
Views:	144
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	224605