Gun Port Whistle

Slazi

Watching a video about an emergency landing in a P-51, the pilot explains the gun ports whistle at high AOA.

Do we have this sound in game?

Are there any similar touches that be seen on any modules?

I found that really interesting.

yes

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

yes, but last time i checked this whistle is not present at low speeds, so at landing speed you will not hear that sound, it is missing or very quiet.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

It's quite prominent in external camera views, much less in cockpit with canopy closed. Haven't landed with canopy open in a looong time, though - something interesting to check next time.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

yes, but last time i checked this whistle is not present at low speeds, so at landing speed you will not hear that sound, it is missing or very quiet.
IIRC it happens at high AoA manoeuvring so landing speed and configuration might not be the best suited for hearing the owl.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

IIRC it happens at high AoA manoeuvring so landing speed and configuration might not be the best suited for hearing the owl.

S!

I would call landing high AoA manoeuvering

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Yes, but the amplitude of the noise depends on two factors; AoA and airspeed; doing a 10 degree AoA pitch up at 350+ indicated is going to produce a far louder sound than at 150.

However, as outlined in the crash video, with low power setting and canopy open you should be able to hear it - even with a modern helmet on - during the approach phase.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

Yes, but the amplitude of the noise depends on two factors; AoA and airspeed; doing a 10 degree AoA pitch up at 350+ indicated is going to produce a far louder sound than at 150.

However, as outlined in the crash video, with low power setting and canopy open you should be able to hear it - even with a modern helmet on - during the approach phase.

Ofc, i agree.

If it comes to my opinion about new p-51 sound. here it is.

Inside sounds are great both samples and dynamic of the sound.

But outside sounds got better in sound samples departament but in dynamic got worse,

For example

1. sound volume of the engine/prop is binded to engine rpm only, from my observations it does not matter if you are running 60' or 10' as long as 3000 rpm can be maintained sound is exact the same in flyby view, you can turn off you magnetos but still sound level and sound it self don't change a bit, in previous iteration i could hear the MP level is it running low or high.

2. when you cut throttle at the end of landing approach with open canopy engine sound will slowly go down with rpm + no engine splutter. I found 2 clips showing this one from out side one from inside p-51 when pilot cut throttle engine goes quiet instantly and the engine splutter is very pronuanced and much higher volume then prop.

Edited by grafspee