What DCS Modules are needed for a Server?

Hello,

I've seen several threads dedicated to the hardware side of setting up a Server, but none to the software side ... so I hope someone can clarify this for me:

I've setup a separate DCS account for my (future) Server, and taking advantage of the current sale, have purchased both Nevada and Persian Gulf Maps.

My question is: Do I need Combined Arms too?

I do currently have CA on my main DCS account but have used it very little as I play mostly SP at the moment .. would I need to use it more once I'm starting to play in MP, taking into consideration that I would be the Admin of the MP Server and using missions of my own design?

In essence, I want to know if it would be worthwhile to ask ED to transfer my CA license to my Server account, or it is best to just purchase a second CA license?

Thanks a lot for any help on this :)

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

No need for combined arms, however, the WWII Assets Pack is another story if you want to use them in a mission. You also need maps for the mission. There has been no word about the need for maps changing with the release of the dedicated server software, however most people seem to be of the opinion that purchasing the maps would not be necessary once the dedicated server software is available.

No need for combined arms, however, the WWII Assets Pack is another story if you want to use them in a mission. You also need maps for the mission.

Thanks for the answer .. I already purchased (on a separate DCS account) both Nevada and the Persian Gulf.

My budget isnt great, so I leaved out Normandy and the Assets Pack, tough I will probably purchase it on the future, depending on the tastes of my virtual squadron mates.

As I've never before administered a DCS Server, I'm not sure about the real use of Combined Arms and that's what I wanted to get opinions about, as I still have a couple of days of Sale time left.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

There has been no word about the need for maps changing with the release of the dedicated server software, however most people seem to be of the opinion that purchasing the maps would not be necessary once the dedicated server software is available.

Would think requiring the maps would be a wrong move commercially... and good luck starting a WW2 MP scene if that is implemented.

CA seems a bit of use in some MP scenarios so if you want a "full package" then you'd go for it. For most players it's not in the core and if there isn't already a demand for it from your community you could easily wait for the next sale.

Hopefully it will get good upgrades in the next few years but it seems ED thinks the improvements will come in other features.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Would think requiring the maps would be a wrong move commercially... and good luck starting a WW2 MP scene if that is implemented.

What do you mean "if"? that is the way it is currently implemented. There are few WWII servers and some of them stick to the Caucuses map with no WWII Assets because if it.

Rudel,

To be clear, for my server I had to buy the Normandy Map and WWII Assets Pack for the server account as well as for my own account so I could fly on my own server.

The server needs to have the map but does not need all of the modules in the mission to host a mission.

For example I have built a mission on my Gaming computer. It is on the Normandy Map and uses WWII Assets. I can include any a/c even if I don't own them when I build the mission. If I use Mods developed by the community I need to have them installed, like the B-29 Mod by DoL.

When I run that mission on my server I need to have a second copy of the Normandy Map, the WWII Assets Pack and any Mods like the B-29 and skins that were included in the mission installed on the server computer as well.

PM me if you want any clarification.

Would think requiring the maps would be a wrong move commercially...

I have no problem paying for what I use and I can understand the "one machine - one license" concept. I will never understand how the same people who spend hundreds or even thousands of dollar in hardware to run DCS, hesitate when asked 50 bucks for a Map.

and good luck starting a WW2 MP scene if that is implemented.

My Server will not be a public one, so it will depend on how much interest in WW2 there is within my fellow members of the squadron. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Rudel

... for my server I had to buy the Normandy Map and WWII Assets Pack for the server account as well as for my own account so I could fly on my own server.

Yes, I know .. right now I have licenses for Nevada and Persian Gulf, in addition of course to the free Caucasus. I realize that Normandy is still at 50% off, but as I dont yet know if my fellows group will have enough pilots interested on WW2, I left its purchase for a future sale.

The server needs to have the map but does not need all of the modules in the mission to host a mission.

For example I have built a mission on my Gaming computer. It is on the Normandy Map and uses WWII Assets. I can include any a/c even if I don't own them when I build the mission. If I use Mods developed by the community I need to have them installed, like the B-29 Mod by DoL.

When I run that mission on my server I need to have a second copy of the Normandy Map, the WWII Assets Pack and any Mods like the B-29 and skins that were included in the mission installed on the server computer as well.

thanks a lot, it confirms what I supposed ... my great doubt is how needed is Combined Arms on a Multiplayer environment, both on the server and on the client. For example, I have CA on my gaming computer, if I dont have it on the Server computer, can I still join the Mission as JTAC? or do I need CA on the Server for that?

PM me if you want any clarification.

If you dont mind, I prefer to state my doubts in the open, as the answer may then benefit not only myself, but also anyone that is thinking on seting up a DCS Server .. with the upcoming of the dedicated Server, I'm pretty sure that there are other thinking of doing the same :)

Best regards,

I have no problem paying for what I use and I can understand the "one machine - one license" concept. I will never understand how the same people who spend hundreds or even thousands of dollar in hardware to run DCS, hesitate when asked 50 bucks for a Map.

Rudel

Yes agree. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

thanks a lot, it confirms what I supposed ... my great doubt is how needed is Combined Arms on a Multiplayer environment, both on the server and on the client. For example, I have CA on my gaming computer, if I dont have it on the Server computer, can I still join the Mission as JTAC? or do I need CA on the Server for that?

No need for Combined Arms on the server. You also do not need it to create a mission using Combined Arms. Only the Clients in MP who wish to use Combined Arms, ie they wish to be the JTAC on the ground, need to have Combined Arms.

So, you could make a mission that takes advantage of Combined Arms and run it on your server without having Combined Arms on the server or your game machine and fly the mission. Your friend who has Combined Arms could act as the JTAC from their own game machine and guide you to the target, smoke the target or lase it fog LGBs that you attack it with.

No need for Combined Arms on the server. You also do not need it to create a mission using Combined Arms. Only the Clients in MP who wish to use Combined Arms, ie they wish to be the JTAC on the ground, need to have Combined Arms.

THANKS A LOT .. .that's just what I wanted to know :) ... so, I'm good, as I have CA on my normal account, and I didnt purchase it on my Server Account

... seems that the only software that I've missing on the Server would be Normandy and WW2 Assets .. mmm .. still one day of 50% off Sale .. I'm so tempted :D

Now, just lets hope that the Dedicated Server gets released soon.

Cheers and Best regards.

• 3 years later...

So do I understand that the DSC terrains like marrianas and caucases are free to use in my server as they were included but others need to be purchased. I also noticed that if I dont have a license for the aircraft, I cannot use it in multiplayer but I can add whatever I modules i want to my server build. I am setting up a Windows 10 custom gaming PC as a server and I'm pretty lost. All of the tutorials assume that you're not starting from sctratch. They start with "ok, we'll select this build" which sucks if you have no bloody idea how to build one

On 8/6/2022 at 5:44 AM, Fishfly31st said:

So do I understand that the DSC terrains like marrianas and caucases are free to use in my server as they were included but others need to be purchased. I also noticed that if I dont have a license for the aircraft, I cannot use it in multiplayer but I can add whatever I modules i want to my server build. I am setting up a Windows 10 custom gaming PC as a server and I'm pretty lost. All of the tutorials assume that you're not starting from sctratch. They start with "ok, we'll select this build" which sucks if you have no bloody idea how to build one

If you plan to have a separate machine to host your server, I suggest to create a separate account just for your server, and within that account you don't need to buy any module, not even terrains, supercarrier, combined arms or plane to run a dedicated server. Only the clients that will connect to that server must have the terrain to join that server, and of course an available mission plane to be used on their respective account.

image.png

Edited by Maverick87Shaka

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2022 at 11:44 PM, Fishfly31st said:

So do I understand that the DSC terrains like marrianas and caucases are free to use in my server as they were included but others need to be purchased.

Take note that this is a 4-years old thread … nowadays ED provides all the maps and assets packs for free with each DCS Dedicated Server, so no need to purchase anything … this was not always the case.

• Like 1