Imperial airspeed indicator accuracy

1.5.4.x (latest open beta at the time of posting)

L-39C, not tested with ZA yet

I have my units under gameplay options set to imperial and was surprised to see the ASI switch to knots. I like it a lot, but it seems to be very inaccurate.

Full power at sea level grants an indicated airspeed of about 400 kts according to the F2 IAS. The gauge reads between 430 and 450. It's like that through the entire speed range, as far as I can tell. I have yet to test the metric airspeed indicator, but I have a feeling I'm missing something and there's no issue.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

1.5.4.x (latest open beta at the time of posting)

L-39C, not tested with ZA yet

I have my units under gameplay options set to imperial and was surprised to see the ASI switch to knots. I like it a lot, but it seems to be very inaccurate.

Full power at sea level grants an indicated airspeed of about 400 kts according to the F2 IAS. The gauge reads between 430 and 450. It's like that through the entire speed range, as far as I can tell. I have yet to test the metric airspeed indicator, but I have a feeling I'm missing something and there's no issue.

Hey Pocket,

You're talking about it giving you a true airspeed in the 430-450 range, when indicating 400? That sounds about right for the altitude...

Hey Pocket,

You're talking about it giving you a true airspeed in the 430-450 range, when indicating 400? That sounds about right for the altitude...

Other way around. Actual IAS (according to info bar in external view) is about 400 while the gauge reads ~450. The gauge has a large needle for IAS and smaller one for TAS, they overlap at sea level.

Other way around. Actual IAS (according to info bar in external view) is about 400 while the gauge reads ~450. The gauge has a large needle for IAS and smaller one for TAS, they overlap at sea level.

Gotcha... Maybe it shows ground speed in the external view?

I actually did some measurements a few days ago (allow for some error). Gauge background is spot on, they would need to recalibrate the needle.

Both tables were measured separately (not converted), rows between the tables thus do not corelate with each other.

attachment.php?attachmentid=143557&stc=1&d=1467714739

Gotcha... Maybe it shows ground speed in the external view?

It shows IAS. Put your aircraft on the ground against the wind.

table.PNG.49169636ceb1282aecef1ff0c35e2b7c.PNG

Edited by GeorgeLKMT

I actually did some measurements a few days ago (allow for some error). Gauge background is spot on, they would need to recalibrate the needle.

Both tables were measured separately (not converted), rows between the tables thus do not corelate with each other.

attachment.php?attachmentid=143557&stc=1&d=1467714739

It shows IAS. Put your aircraft on the ground against the wind.

What do you mean by put it on the ground against the wind? Sorry I don't understand.

What do you mean by put it on the ground against the wind? Sorry I don't understand.

I mean that you can tell the info bar doesn't show GS, but really IAS (when it says IAS), by being stationary with the headwind blowing. If the wind is 20kt, it reads 20kt, even though you're not moving. GS is 0 in that case.

I mean that you can tell the info bar doesn't show GS, but really IAS (when it says IAS), by being stationary with the headwind blowing. If the wind is 20kt, it reads 20kt, even though you're not moving. GS is 0 in that case.

Ok gotcha... But on the ground with a wind or not, you'll never read ground speed because you're not in the air...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to have the metric data for speed and other gauges ?

By the past all these informations was in metric but know thy are imperial, is possible to have a metric measures ?

In advance a great thanks, Skull.

you can go to settings, gameplay tab and change "units" from imperial to metric. It'll unfortunately also change the units everywhere else in game, but there are already topics asking ED to move it to special tab.

Hello George how are you my friend, happy to have news of you.

Yes I've tested you solution but its good just for L-39 because for all the module everything work fine.

So we must a fix from ED...

Thanks again and best regards.

• 1 month later...
Pitot dyn slowdown speed calculation fix

From today's changelog. I wonder if this means the airspeed indicator will be accurate? Can't wait to test it when I get home.