Ground power - what is it good for?

VsetciPokapu

It's hard to find real practical use of GP in sim apart of planes that require it for startup due to unscientific battery current or lack of APU.

Can be used to power up A-10C systems without running generators (APU or engines).

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Hi, I´think the title says it all. My question is: Are there any possible situations in DCS where the ground power is necessary, since I´m able to start the engine without it? Same for L-39, MiG-21 and Mi-8 (haven´t played the other planes yet).

Thanks!

Of course!

At first: The Sabre (F-86) and Mig-15 needs ground power to start the engine. The F-5 needs ground air to start the left engine.

In the case of the A-10 and Mirage you can use the ground power to align the INS systems (saving fuel) or to keep the systems aligned during repair.

If you have your first time in a new module you can use ground power to get familiar with the systems without depleting the battery or having the APU or engines running the whole time.

Edited by AnnaNass
Adding facts from other vpilots

It is also required by MiG-15. Both Sabre and MiG-15 (and some other older planes) don't have APU nor their batteries are able to supply sufficient current to start up the engines.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Another use is if you take some battle damage, land and need repair. I use it on the A-10C and the Ka-50 all the time. You can shut down the engines and request repair without having to restart all the systems and go through alignment again. I know that this is in the L-39 section but I'm guessing that the same situation would apply.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

without having to restart all the systems and go through alignment again

This. But other than that, I never use it in the L-39(ZA).

Flying the Mi-8, however, is a different story altogether. If I'm, say, on a FARP waiting for stuff to happen before continuing with the mission, I always dial in GP and put my engines on idle, because the chopper will then definitely stay put without my supervision - meaning I can go out for a ciggie and/or have a leak and/or get a brewski from the fridge and/or whatever; and all this without the bugger turning into the wind and/or drifting off the plate and/or running into a building and/or whatever in the meantime ;)

So yeah, it has its uses!

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Even if a plane can start with it's own battery, In real life they(most of the time) connect ground power to preserve battery as starting is a power intensive process.Not that it matters in DCS as you get fresh aircraft every flight.

Intel i5-9600k - Asus TUF Z390 - 32GB DDR4 corsair - Gigabyte RTX 2070 - Seasonic 620W - SSD Crucial, HDD Seagate