Is the L-39 VFR only? How do you navigate?

Bahger

I'm back into DCS after a three year break and am using the L-39 as a "re-entry-level" jet, if you will. I'm loving it; it's a true analogue aircraft and flies just like it does IRL; you have to manage its lack of grunt and turbine lag very carefully.

My question is this: What is the best way to navigate in what seems to be essentially a VFR-only aircraft? Can anyone tell me if the VOR works and if it has an ILS? I haven't looked into setting any radios yet. I don't want to fight this aircraft but just tour around Nevada in it and master a few of the relatively mild aerobatics that it's capable of doing (with enough downhill airspeed).

Also, it's been so long since I last flew in DCS that I don't know how the VFR-style kneepad function works. And I am embarrassed to say that I cannot figure out how to get out of the big theater map once I've accessed it from in-cockpit.

Thank you!

My question is this: What is the best way to navigate in what seems to be essentially a VFR-only aircraft? Can anyone tell me if the VOR works and if it has an ILS?

The L-39 is a trainer for Western aircrafts, like the MiG-21, so it uses the russian version of ILS, the PRMG; it also uses the russian version of TACAN, the RSBN. These Navaids require ground stations, and as far as I know, those exists only on the Caucasus Map.

The L-39 also includes an ADF receiver, which you can use to tune into NDB stations, and that type of beacon is available on any map ... you can use that to Navigate on IFR conditions.

For a Western style trainer, it is better to look into the C-101, that is equiped with VOR receiver and ILS.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The L-39 is a trainer for Western aircrafts, like the MiG-21, so it uses the russian version of ILS, the PRMG; it also uses the russian version of TACAN, the RSBN. These Navaids require ground stations, and as far as I know, those exists only on the Caucasus Map.

The L-39 also includes an ADF receiver, which you can use to tune into NDB stations, and that type of beacon is available on any map ... you can use that to Navigate on IFR conditions.

For a Western style trainer, it is better to look into the C-101, that is equiped with VOR receiver and ILS.

Thank you! If I can find reliable documentation about how to use these Russian nav systems I might learn them, otherwise I will treat it as VFR-only and attempt to use the map and/or kneeboard once I've figured them out. It's amazing how much of an adjustment it is to go from HUD-based navigation, or INS to pure analogue.

Thank you! If I can find reliable documentation about how to use these Russian nav systems I might learn them

Chuck explains how to use them on its Guide, also YouTube has many tutorials on the subject, I like those of xxJohn:

cOz2Ue6U680

qUVslmJ57Vw

... otherwise I will treat it as VFR-only and attempt to use the map and/or kneeboard once I've figured them out.

The ADF receiver is very useful and can be used on any Map, no need to restrict to VFR .. I use it a lot and it isnt hard to learn.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

This is great, guys, thank you so much. I will definitely study all this and then do a little light IFR in the L-39. I need to get my TrackIR working first so I can peer at those small analogue gauges without too much fiddling about with view commands. Thanks again; I really like this jet.

Er, sorry to ask such a basic question but can anyone advise whether the L-39 manual comes with the jet? Is it accessible within DCS World? I can't find it in my DCS install files. Many thanks.

Yes, you have the manual - ED is not very good about showing this aspect of their products... it's located here:

X:\...\DCS World( OpenBeta)\Mods\aircraft\L-39C\Doc

This is your main DCS install, not the one in your User\Saved Games\ folder.

Good luck!

Yes, you have the manual - ED is not very good about showing this aspect of their products... it's located here:

X:\...\DCS World( OpenBeta)\Mods\aircraft\L-39C\Doc

This is your main DCS install, not the one in your User\Saved Games\ folder.

Good luck!

Thanks! I'm glad it's not that stupid a question!

With RSBN you can use it for LNAV purposes even with no RSBN ground facilities. If you update your position regularly with NDB flyovers (or NDB intersections, laugh).

It's not designed to integrate with Western VOR, TACN, ILS radio aids. It's supposed to use RSBN, PRMG. Thankfully NDB is shared and there should be enough of them in NTTR. I'm pretty sure I could fly a full cross country on NTTR in IMC in L-39 given enough planning.

F1 key for resume normal view.

With RSBN you can use it for LNAV purposes even with no RSBN ground facilities. If you update your position regularly with NDB flyovers (or NDB intersections, laugh).

It's not designed to integrate with Western VOR, TACN, ILS radio aids. It's supposed to use RSBN, PRMG. Thankfully NDB is shared and there should be enough of them in NTTR. I'm pretty sure I could fly a full cross country on NTTR in IMC in L-39 given enough planning.

F1 key for resume normal view.

Interesting. I am going to teach myself L-39 navigation by using both systems in the Caucasus map but I've looked closely at the Nevada map and some supporting documentation and I think there's only one NDB (at Creech). Is that correct?

Interesting. I am going to teach myself L-39 navigation by using both systems in the Caucasus map but I've looked closely at the Nevada map and some supporting documentation and I think there's only one NDB (at Creech). Is that correct?

You may find this helpful for Rnav in the Caucasus .

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/de/files/585582/

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

This i find helpful both for VFR and for SA in IFR

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3133796/

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Handy topo map . Zoom for a treat . I have mine on a tablet .

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/274488/

And if you have an Android tablet , Google Play Store has an app called "DCS Manager" . (Free , i think) It has VAD charts for Caucasus airports . I use them for IFR approaches 'cause i don't have IAD's .

Edited by Svsmokey

And downloadable Caucasus airport diagrams . Again , i have mine on a tablet .

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/Georgia/Russia_Airport_Charts_and_Frequencies

That should do you for a while :)

Yes, thats correct. But in the Mod-subforum is a mod, which adds more ndb-stations to the nevada map. This ndb-stations are older real station in the nevada area, which today not more used or active

Yes, thats correct. But in the Mod-subforum is a mod, which adds more ndb-stations to the nevada map. This ndb-stations are older real station in the nevada area, which today not more used or active

This is really helpful, many thanks.

This is really helpful, many thanks.

I didnt knew about the Mod suggested by Sauerkraut ... looked for it and this is the link:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160590

Just tested it and works fine on 2.5.4

Quick follow-up re L-39 navigation: I am wondering how to dial in ATC frequencies when the L-39 command radio interface seems to involve two-digit numerics rather than frequencies. So far I have been unable to get a response from ATC AI in the L-39 either in Nellis or Caucasus but I can communicate just fine in the radio menu with ground crew. As always, I would be grateful for advice, many thanks.

L-39 has channel numbers rather than direct frequency input . Channel number cross-reference should be in one of the documents i earlier linked in this thread . If not , i'll dig them up .

Lino's Caucasus map gives L-39 channel for airports/airbases

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=162198