Hornet Sound

JABO2009

EF-18M performing at sunset - BIAS 2016 (Bucharest International Air Show)

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I'd gladly test fly the Hornet and report back how good the sounds are. :)

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 month later...

Starting right engine, R-Cntr Home. Bass generator's attached to flight chair on the left and right. Soz if I'm wrong for posting here but i think immersion is important and what you hear should be felt in certain situations.

Intel PC, 32gig ram, Geforce GTX1080 ti, 34" G34Q

TM Cougar U2nxt / Cubby Hall Sensors . MFG Pedals . TM MFD / 8" lcd's . Basic Flight Chair . TIR5 or Oculus

Please update start engine sound like in this movie....

.. i mean this lovely sound from 0:32 - 0:52... in startup wags video its too short :( i love this sound!

i7 6700k / Gtx 1070 / 32GB DDR4 / SSD / Warthog / 2 MFD / Saitek Rudders / RiftCV1 / Rift S...

A10C / F5 / F14 / F16 / F18 / M2000 / HARRIER / FC3 / HUEY / GAZELLE / MI-8 / MI-24 / KA-50 / KIOWA / CB ARMS / SUPER CARRIER / PERSIAN GULF / NEVADA

Somebody mentioned "feel" Vs "hear" and it's so true. I've been fortunate to be "Shooter Close" to both legacy and super Hornets departing El Centro in full blower and the pressure wave that accompanies the mega-broad spectrum sound is a truly visceral experience. I really don't know how they do 12 hour shifts on the boat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

• ED Team
.. i mean this lovely sound from 0:32 - 0:52... in startup wags video its too short :( i love this sound!

Well in fairness, the video posted was from a pilots point of view, in the cockpit with helmet on. Not sure this is a decent comparison.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I doubt the audio was the primary aim of the video. Besides, we are talking about an early look at an early access product.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Somebody mentioned "feel" Vs "hear" and it's so true. I've been fortunate to be "Shooter Close" to both legacy and super Hornets departing El Centro in full blower and the pressure wave that accompanies the mega-broad spectrum sound is a truly visceral experience. I really don't know how they do 12 hour shifts on the boat.

This is due to infrasonic bass frequencies, I have mentioned it several times...usually, human hear goes as deep as 20hz, below that, at enough SPL, you will literally FEEL rather than heard anything. In real life you can be blown away by 130db of pure ultra deep bass (down to as much as physics goes) and that's what makes planes sound so "especial".

..problem is you will need a real quality subwoofer in order to achieve good spl at those frequencies (90db at least I'd say),clean output (no armonic distortion) as well as probably some good calibration of your room. In my PC I have a sub that goes as low as 20hz and with the new sounds there are several bass notes that are not very audible but make my whole room to ratle, just like you would expect irl.

Also, the bass is very clean (low distortion) which is great to make it feel real if your sub can handle it.

The new sounds seem to be coming very well and are a great improvement over the old ones in terms of REALISM. There are some things I would like to get improved for the Hornet (or every plane in fact) like much more roar (cracking sound) and higher sound level far away. I literally, want to get blown away with the sound :D ...let's see what they are preparing for us in future patches. :thumbup:

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

Maybe you'll get lucky and Wags will do a startup video where there is no talking just a static external view of the jet starting up and then taxiing away.

This is due to infrasonic bass frequencies, I have mentioned it several times...usually, human hear goes as deep as 20hz, below that, at enough SPL, you will literally FEEL rather than heard anything. In real life you can be blown away by 130db of pure ultra deep bass (down to as much as physics goes) and that's what makes planes sound so "especial".

..problem is you will need a real quality subwoofer in order to achieve good spl at those frequencies (90db at least I'd say),clean output (no armonic distortion) as well as probably some good calibration of your room. In my PC I have a sub that goes as low as 20hz and with the new sounds there are several bass notes that are not very audible but make my whole room to ratle, just like you would expect irl.

Also, the bass is very clean (low distortion) which is great to make it feel real if your sub can handle it.

The new sounds seem to be coming very well and are a great improvement over the old ones in terms of REALISM. There are some things I would like to get improved for the Hornet (or every plane in fact) like much more roar (cracking sound) and higher sound level far away. I literally, want to get blown away with the sound :D ...let's see what they are preparing for us in future patches. :thumbup:

A big factor in “feeling” the sound is that the human chest is resonant in the 50-80hz range at high SPL.

Guys, thanks alot to all! I did it!

Мой youtube канал Группа в VK 

IBM x3200 Tower, i7 9700k, Asus Z390-P, HyperX Fury DDR4 2x16Gb 3466 Mhz, HyperX Savage 480Gb SSD, Asus RTX3070 Dual OC 8G, 32" Asus PG329Q, Creative Sound Blaster AE-5, HyperX Cloud Alpha + Pulsefire FPS Pro + Alloy FPS brown, Track IR 4 PRO + Clip Pro, Warhog HOTAS + CH Pro Pedal + есть руль Logitech G25

A big factor in “feeling” the sound is that the human chest is resonant in the 50-80hz range at high SPL.

True but, believe me, chest bass is nothing compared to infrasonic bass :thumbup:...there is a HUGE difference between chest kick and what "bass heads", like me :D, call "trousers flapping" ultra deep bass ;). I have felt 10Hz at 100db and my eyeballs were about to explode and world felt like reaching its end, a mental experience :)...thats a critical factor to realistically make fighter aircrafts to sound REAL, but obviously not the only one (but the most hardware demanding)...in fact, I would prefer having more air distortion sound, cracking/popping sounds and randomness than actually pure bass output as it would definitilly sound closer to what you can hear in videos, for instance, which don't have the quality nor the high dynamic range but sounds with the same "signature" as real life and at the end of the day thats whats really important imho.

In the Hornet sound test video I like how it seems to have more "grunt" once the plane has past ahead of the camera and there are some more evident "cracking" sounds, even when it looks like the plane is not at after burner power which is great as the difference between the mil power and afterburner in real life is just an "slightly" increased sound presure level (more/deeper bass, more cracking/grunt more kicking mid frequencies) but it doesn't mean that a fighter plane won't blown you out of the water in mil power. Also, you can't notice any kind of "seam" between AB and no AB nor any kind of "explosion" sound when engaging/disengaging AB.

I have heard many times spanish Hornets/Eurofighters/mirages F-1 and other planes like Mirage 2000/Tornado/F-15/F-5, etc. and at mil power it felt the same as when in afterburner just at lower SPL (but EXTREME SPL anyway).

Edited by watermanpc

True but, believe me, chest bass is nothing compared to infrasonic bass :thumbup:...there is a HUGE difference between chest kick and what "bass heads", like me :D, call "trousers flapping" ultra deep bass ;). I have felt 10Hz at 100db and my eyeballs were about to explode and world felt like reaching its end, a mental experience :)...thats a critical factor to realistically make fighter aircrafts to sound REAL, but obviously not the only one (but the most hardware demanding)...in fact, I would prefer having more air distortion sound, cracking/popping sounds and randomness than actually pure bass output as it would definitilly sound closer to what you can hear in videos, for instance, which don't have the quality nor the high dynamic range but sounds with the same "signature" as real life and at the end of the day thats whats really important imho.

In the Hornet sound test video I like how it seems to have more "grunt" once the plane has past ahead of the camera and there are some more evident "cracking" sounds, even when it looks like the plane is not at after burner power which is great as the difference between the mil power and afterburner in real life is just an "slightly" increased sound presure level (more/deeper bass, more cracking/grunt more kicking mid frequencies) but it doesn't mean that a fighter plane won't blown you out of the water in mil power. Also, you can't notice any kind of "seam" between AB and no AB nor any kind of "explosion" sound when engaging/disengaging AB.

I have heard many times spanish Hornets/Eurofighters/mirages F-1 and other planes like Mirage 2000/Tornado/F-15/F-5, etc. and at mil power it felt the same as when in afterburner just at lower SPL (but EXTREME SPL anyway).

I wasn’t disagreeing with you. I’ve felt infrasound at high SPL’s as well. It isn’t pleasant. I’ve also seen hornets, superhornets, F-16’s, F-22 and others take off in person at close range.

There is airframe generated and engine generated noise. Even at subsonic speeds local portions of the airframe are undergoing transonic and supersonic flow. A large portion of what you hear and feel is essentially the jet tearing a hole through the air. The F-22 out of AB is especially loud.

Regarding engine noise, check out this paper on measuring the F-22 jet plume noise. Afterburner in the tests increases SPL in a very specific region compared to mil power (roughly the 20 and 25 1/3 octave bands). Also notable is how SPL drastically peaks at about 30 ft. I imagine due to the distance required for long wavelengths to propagate.

http://www.sandv.com/downloads/1008jame.pdf

Edited by SinusoidDelta

Years ago I tried a woofer under my flight chair but it was no match for bass generators which were originally designed for boom boom car stereo setups but then spread to home theatre setups and sims. Originally pretty expensive but I think you can still buy the Aura's a lot cheaper now and theres also Buttkicker setup but I have no experience with that setup. I tune mine via a home amp that powers them.

AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker Tactile Transducer

1959893665_AuraBassGenerator1.thumb.jpg.075b9abcbbb3b79f1c14a51f1cb1d785.jpg

1740704073_AuraBassGenerator2.thumb.jpg.2728d663fbe8b2cf565b6df940505c78.jpg

Intel PC, 32gig ram, Geforce GTX1080 ti, 34" G34Q

TM Cougar U2nxt / Cubby Hall Sensors . MFG Pedals . TM MFD / 8" lcd's . Basic Flight Chair . TIR5 or Oculus

I wasn’t disagreeing with you. I’ve felt infrasound at high SPL’s as well. It isn’t pleasant. I’ve also seen hornets, superhornets, F-16’s, F-22 and others take off in person at close range.

There is airframe generated and engine generated noise. Even at subsonic speeds local portions of the airframe are undergoing transonic and supersonic flow. A large portion of what you hear and feel is essentially the jet tearing a hole through the air. The F-22 out of AB is especially loud.

Regarding engine noise, check out this paper on measuring the F-22 jet plume noise. Afterburner in the tests increases SPL in a very specific region compared to mil power (roughly the 20 and 25 1/3 octave bands). Also notable is how SPL drastically peaks at about 30 ft. I imagine due to the distance required for long wavelengths to propagate.

http://www.sandv.com/downloads/1008jame.pdf

Yeah, agree with all you said though,imo the sound generated by the frame is much lower than the one generated by the engine...in fact, except the plane is performing a high speed pass at idle power and very close to the listener, I dont think you would perceive any noticeable frame noise. Thats something I think should be improved in the new wip sounds, as the wind noise generated by the frame seems too loud imo, you can hear it a several hundreds meters and at mil/ab power which is not relistic...as soon as the engine is at anything more than idle, the spl of it is so high that it masks anything else (at least thats my general experience, especial cases appart).

The pdf you posted is VERY interesting, thanks for sharing!:thumbup:

Also nice to see that the experiment supports what I thought about AB sound behaviour respect mil power, and the band of frequencies altered, which I think would even be wider if the test could be done with the plane in the air, as other factors would alter response such as wind direction or sound reflections in buildings or terrain and especially ground plane gain which in that case should be very high (about 3db).

About the 30ft peak I guess it could be due to the speed of the flow coming from the nozzles altering sound waves propagation and the own isolation created for the plane/nozzles but its odd as sound propagates in all directions so maybe you are right about wavelegnth.

Great vids btw, I had already watched the first one myself :thumbup:

Years ago I tried a woofer under my flight chair but it was no match for bass generators which were originally designed for boom boom car stereo setups but then spread to home theatre setups and sims. Originally pretty expensive but I think you can still buy the Aura's a lot cheaper now and theres also Buttkicker setup but I have no experience with that setup. I tune mine via a home amp that powers them.

AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker Tactile Transducer

I have tested some butt kickers at home and in theaters but imho they are not even close to what real "room presurizing" bass can achieve...they felt like coach massaging device more than a proper high end audio gear but dont get me wrong, they have also good things like you dont need huge spl levels to achieve "tactile" effect nor also so huge amounts of power to drive large woofers.

Edited by watermanpc