Introducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

rrohde

A very popular mistake but still a mistake. :noexpression:

Well if you are designing your base to be 10mm thick I guess it is...

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to point out that it is really trivial for an engineer to design the throttle to use the same mounting holes as another device like the tmwh. You only need to make holes with the proper internal support in the right locations, the holes don't need to be at the extremities of the device. This is even easier if it bolts on from the bottom only as it doesn't affect the appearance.

Standardizing attachment methods and dimensions is never a bad thing, and makes life much easier for the end user. I've got a mount for the x-55 and while if/when I get a VKB I will drill the required holes in the plate, it would be much less hassle if it were just a simple swap.

It is the same principle as the development of their new sticks which are intended to swap out of all bases. It's even the same principle as DCS World in so far as all modules and aircraft are intended to work within the same framework so that netcode, graphics updates, weapon changes and multiplayer communities are all tied together regardless of which product you buy (if they ever merge the damn version). Imagine if the A-10 guys couldn't play with the su-27 guys or the upcoming f-18 as they were all different games. Compatibility makes purchases more likely.

I could rant for hours about lack of standardization.

I totally get standards, as I could rant about it too. But Thrusmaster holes ain't standard and there ain't benefit to use its throttle base <size> that is now question. As that limits amount of space used for buttons and switches on top plate. One can always say "put them to side!" But that ain't answer for everyone.

If we want to go for an standard when we don't have any, we should adapt a Saitek throttle base size as Saitek X65 etc has definitely been sold more than Thrusmaster line in total.

The thing is that to make a two (no more needed) holes for mounting is trivial.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Fair.

Opera resume: everyone want a throttle/joy/pedal.. that fit "PnP" in their actual personal "cockpit", not adapt their "cockpit" for new hardware design's. :D

I go function over design.

I modify the cockpit if needed, but to limit throttle function so I don't need to modify cockpit is just wrong.

If someone makes such cockpit that doesn't allow modifications and locks himself to proprietary style by decision, then that is it....

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I could rant for hours about lack of standardization.

Rant on.

But here is no reason for TMWH to set the standard.

As opposed to CH Pro, Logitech, Saitek, Microsoft, or any other gazillion controllers that people might have, or even the TM TWCS?? Except that this happens to be a historical baggage that some might want to see personally supported because? Which is great, but, honestly, who cares?

And as we are all expressing personal idiosyncratic needs as industry standards demands ...

(a) I don't give a rat's butt about meeting some arbitrary (from my POV) criteria as contrived universal standard .

(b) Standards are great, but in places where they are not needed they become a stupid constraint. And I don't give a crap about controller base dimension standards any more than we care about having standardized keyboard dimensions or standardized cereal bowl size or standardized beer label colors or standardized thickness of butter on toast in the morning.

© I think VKB should let form follow function in the design/dimensions

(d) The TMWH (which, incidentally, I own, use, and love, and is my current throttle) can be relegated to the quaint historical curiosity pile and never more considered as a useful guide for any other future throttles (frankly. the Saitek X-55/56, which I also used to have, is a much better design, just a poor/cheap/crappy implementation).

And now this: obligatory XKCD on standards ...

But here is no reason for TMWH to set the standard.

Oh don't get me wrong. I by no means think that Thrustmaster is the standard. But the TMWH has been out for years and as such there are some products that already use it's dimensions for mounting which allows a greater range of compatibility for a new product if it uses said dimensions. I think the high end sim community is probably very small and there is no sense in making the amount of choices for the consumer even smaller. And I don't think there are as many people with Logitech 3d pros and X-52s that intend to mount them.

As far as sim cockpits go... I mean, you built a cockpit. I don't think a single one of those people care if they have to drill new holes. It's about the other 90% that can't build a cockpit or don't have the time/resources to do so.

And really, mounting holes don't have to have any impact at all on the button placement or aesthetics of the top. Like not whatsoever.

Edited by Sideslip

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

Things still on track for a december release?

So far, yes. (fingers cross)

No, seriously.

All orders for all parts are sent to factories.

The final assembly and checking will be done by ourselves on our own premises, which is swept clean, washed and dried, and is now frighteningly quiet and empty.

Everyone is waiting :)

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

Deep in the secluded Russian wilderness at the VKB "Factory of Make Assembly for Controls of Flight" (loose translation) employees pass the time waiting for parts...

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Newsflash: VKB is listening, and after some back and forth with Ilya he agrees now to include that pinky switch that we all (including me) want for the MCG.

Due to the design of the MCG, it might have to move up and to the side, but you will get that extra button on the grip!

Stay tuned for some updated renders soon !

Who is Ilya?

Heyo VKB yah gonna make an F18 grip? There’s a gap in the market that needs to be filled. ; )

So far, yes. (fingers cross)

No, seriously.

All orders for all parts are sent to factories.

The final assembly and checking will be done by ourselves on our own premises, which is swept clean, washed and dried, and is now frighteningly quiet and empty.

Everyone is waiting :)

Is there gonna be more stock for us that didn’t preorder and just want to order one post production?

Edited by stryker7314

Is it the same guy

who took $100 000 for DCS WWII: Europe 1944: Kickstarter & disappeared ???

Well geeze, I wasn't going to put it that way. Now probably no answer to my discreet question.

More can be gained from moderation.

Notwithstanding the methodology of the follow up question, I am wondering if the Ilya mentioned is in fact Ilya Shevchenko (Luthier) from the very excellent IL2 series.

Edited by Catseye

Heyo VKB yah gonna make an F18 grip?.......... didn’t preorder

F14 yes, F18 not planned. TM are going to make F18, no need to repeat what others do.

Preorder - if you didn't preorder, you might get the grip from the 2nd shipment rather than 1st. But it is shipment, not batch. We will make enough MCGs to stock up our dealerships, so you will not have to wait for months till the 2nd batch rolls out. At most it will be a week or two till the 2nd shipment arrives. I said might because maybe you will be able to get it right away, it depends.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

Notwithstanding the methodology of the follow up question, I am wondering if the Ilya mentioned is in fact Ilya Shevchenko (Luthier) from the very excellent IL2 series.

Nope.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Does anyone know what brand or type of analogue hat they are using in the DCG pro? Are they magnetic or hall effect devices or simple potentiometers?

VKB uses MaRS (Magnetic Resonance Sensors) for all axes in the MCG/MCG PRO; for buttons and switches they use ALPS and OMRON.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

All axes? So the analogue hats are MaRS, too?

Yep.

Refer to this diagram for the features (the images are outdated, but the feature list is still current); everything referred to as 'contactless' is MaRS: https://vkbcontrollers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/MCG-Announce-Final-1.jpg

(Note: the TM variant does not use analog axes, as the Thrustmaster base does not support analog axes)

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

VKB uses MaRS (Magnetic Resonance Sensors) for all axes in the MCG/MCG PRO; for buttons and switches they use ALPS and OMRON.

(Note: the TM variant does not use analog axes, as the Thrustmaster base does not support analog axes)

So, you're saying that the MCG-TM doesn't have MaRS sensors, but uses simple buttons instead? That would go against the very VKB statements on this forum where (as far as I understood) it was said that the MCG-TM can be converted to an MCG-Pro (with what I presume is a PCB upgrade plus the mount).

I would thus presume that the sticks are the same, but the TM one has an adapter board which converts the analogue axis readings into the TM shift-register format.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

So, you're saying that the MCG-TM doesn't have MaRS sensors, but uses simple buttons instead? That would go against the very VKB statements on this forum where (as far as I understood) it was said that the MCG-TM can be converted to an MCG-Pro (with what I presume is a PCB upgrade plus the mount).

I would thus presume that the sticks are the same, but the TM one has an adapter board which converts the analogue axis readings into the TM shift-register format.

I don't remember seeing them saying the MCG-TM could be made into an MCG-Pro... the limit as far as I understand it is the amount of buttons that the warthog base can handle.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo