Need guru help with motherboard

My current board in specs .

(SIGH) . Just got my 1070 in , and tried to install . DISASTER ! Black screen , not even bios showing . NO signal on the monitor . Tried DVI (how its been running) and HDMI (with the monitor I used to run) . WORSE , the working 1060 I took out is now black-screen as well ! And EVEN worse , the on-board video is black screen . Tried resetting bios , nada as well , on all 6 options . DVI , HDMI , 2 cards , and on-board video outputs . O , and tried PCI

-4 slot too .

I think i broke my MB . I was a little ham-handed getting the 1060 out (didn't realise latch slid instead of flip) , but was careful not to put too much force on the board , being formerly proffesionally experienced with 486 and Win 95 era machines . Made sure i was grounded , too . I also had to re-route a couple of cables (SATA data and remote USB) to make room for the longer 1070 . PS is 750W , btw , PCI-E 6+2 cable . So I'm thinking that brand new 1070 may have smoked my MB . Suggestions welcome if you think i haven't covered all the bases .

So... it's new MB time . Thing is , I love my old board , and can't replace new . Info I have on its replacement , (Asrock H270M Pro4) is that its chipset will support my CPU . Wish a Guru to confirm before I make a bad situation worse !

NOT looking for a Z-series board . I really appreciated the stability of my H-series .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

No . Thanks for the suggestion though .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

ok. this happens to me all the time when I have to shoehorn a new component into my box. Just happened with a liquid cooler. You probably jiggled a plug loose or bumped a RAM module.

Your new 1070 *DID NOT* smoke your MB -- UNLESS you actually physically broke something.

1. remove every peripheral on your MB except your main system drive and RAM.

2. Re-seat every plug into the MB. Also re-seat drive cables.

3. Pull your RAM and re-seat them.

4. Plug your monitor into the onboard video.

5. Power on

Do you get a BIOS power-up? Do you get any status LEDs or warning beeps? Are fans coming on? How about your power supply fan and LEDs? If that's not coming on, then you may have a fried power supply. Again, happens all the time

Edited by dmatsch

ok. this happens to me all the time when I have to shoehorn a new component into my box. Just happened with a liquid cooler. You probably jiggled a plug loose or bumped a RAM module.

Your new 1070 *DID NOT* smoke your MB -- UNLESS you actually physically broke something.

1. remove every peripheral on your MB except your main system drive and RAM.

2. Re-seat every plug into the MB. Also re-seat drive cables.

3. Pull your RAM and re-seat them.

4. Plug your monitor into the onboard video.

5. Power on

Do you get a BIOS power-up? Do you get any status LEDs or warning beeps? Are fans coming on? How about your power supply fan and LEDs? If that's not coming on, then you may have a fried power supply. Again, happens all the time

Thanks ! Will try . Fans , usb power , pci power to gpu , atx power all there , 24-pin connector can't be checked without an extender , don't think my probes can get into peripheral power connector . Indicator light on DVD biinking and i think i can hear hard drive cycling on power-up . No "press F2 for bios" display .

Edited by Svsmokey

HOw hamfisted did you get? How hard did you pull and did you hear any cracking before you realized the pci-e slot had a lock?

Looking at a pic of your board, you might be able to get cable that lets you plug your gpu into the bottom pci-e slot as it doesn't look like a 1070 would fit down there. It should be capable of running x16. You'd have to figure out a solution for mounting the graphics card if by chance you damaged the top pci-e slot but it should work.

Something like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812183053&Description=pci%20express%20cable&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=pci_express_cable-_-12-183-053-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAGYY7NN9127&Description=vertical%20gpu&cm_re=vertical_gpu-_-9SIAGYY7NN9127-_-Product

Perhaps not those specific items.. they were just the first i stumbled upon. And if you do determine the PCI-e slot is damaged, if you purchased some kind of protection plan from the retailer they might cover it, or if still under warranty by chance asrock might overlook it if you don't tell the whole truth or if your conscience demands, they might be cool with you about it but no guarantee there.

Also just to be sure, you only have one monitor or display plugged into the thing right now right? it could be confused on which is primary if more than one. I can't even get into bios while my VR headset is plugged in. I'm doubtful this is your reason given if it were another monitor it would provide a picture.

Provided your motherboard and fans and everything else are powering on as per normal and posting.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Thanks for the reply . Not THAT ham-fisted ! No visible or audible cracking . Tried re-installing the1060 into lower pci (x4). No change . Yes , only one monitor plugged in at a time . Don't mind purchasing a new board . H270s are not that expensive . But i'll prolly have a pro install . This has been a traumatic experience ! :) I've been doing my own PC maintenance/repair/upgrades for 30 years , (never put a 'putor in a shop) and have never had so disastrous a problem-or any problem , really , beyond the occasional driver , interrupt or communications issue relatively easily resolved .

Edited by Svsmokey

Problem Solved ! My fervent Thanks to everyone who responded . @dmatsch . First thing i saw when i opened the cover was a displaced ram module adjacent to the remote usb cable i re-routed . @Headwarp - your taking the time to look at a pic of my motherboard , and researching cables - wow , much appreciated .

Again , many thanks to everyone . I'm feeling Much better now :)

Edited by Svsmokey

Eya yei yei.... wow...that was close but happened to all of us I guess.

Just in case, you can start the board with ZERO attached, even CPU out, that might help in certain sceanrios. Just the plain board and the power plugs ( 24 + 8 ), no cpu no ram no nothing....then boot it, reset it, cklear cmos...all w/o any devices.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Eya yei yei.... wow...that was close but happened to all of us I guess.

Just in case, you can start the board with ZERO attached, even CPU out, that might help in certain sceanrios. Just the plain board and the power plugs ( 24 + 8 ), no cpu no ram no nothing....then boot it, reset it, cklear cmos...all w/o any devices.

Thanks for the tip . Hope i never have to use it :) Now to deal with bios .