AMCPD

DAN

Bump

Also to compare it seems that even an older model F18C with MCPD ( pre AMPCD) already had different text colour than Dark Green like it does within DCS

look_down_real.jpg

Makes you wonder what a mock-up of this cockpit would look like in your "game" room....:thumbup:

The AMPCD as it is today is completly useless. I´m colorblind as 7-8% of all men. I have no problem with seeing colors but to distinguise different shades of almost the same color is just not possible. I do hope ED lay aside the "hardcore" correct way of showing the picture and text on the AMPCD and think of us with this problem.

I hope we stick to realistic. People that are color blind can't fly IRL, should be no different in DCS. lol

That was a joke btw

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Well, one thing I've noticed with the AMCPD at the moment is the brightness control. When you turn it down the heading bugs etc correspond with the brightness control but the compass rose and the indicators next to the buttons do not. They just stay bright, this makes it very difficult to read clearly in VR, at least for me anyway.

Anyone know if this function is correct, or intentional, or a bug/early access thing that will change as the Hornet progresses?

The top left and right tv tabs brightness controls work spot on and everything on the screen gets dimmer when you turn the control down.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

• 4 months later...
The AMPCD as it is today is completly useless. I´m colorblind as 7-8% of all men. I have no problem with seeing colors but to distinguise different shades of almost the same color is just not possible. I do hope ED lay aside the "hardcore" correct way of showing the picture and text on the AMPCD and think of us with this problem.

I'm also slightly colorblind. Not enough that I ever noticed it, but enough that I failed the colored dot test when I joined the Army. I'd love to have some options for setting the color in the special settings menu or something. For me, I think the most effective colors would be white text with a black outline around the characters, with the ability to tweak the thickness of the outline. I currently have to fly with the map off in order to be able to read the text. The map also doesn't convey a lot of info to me, as it seems to mush together with itself. Interestingly, I don't seem to have any issues with the TAD on the A-10.

If you disapprove of this post, please feel free to give me negative rep. If you approve of this post, please feel free to give me negative rep.

• 11 months later...

Hi chaps. Old thread, but I have a couple of related questions:

1) Can anyone confirm the resolution of the AMPCD unit? I *think* it is 800 x 800.

2) Ditto dimensions (or even just width)? I assume it is imperial but metric would be fine too.

The only remotely similar unit I can find in hobbyist land is from DAS-Tek in Shanghai who do this 4" 720 x 720 product, but whilst the resolution might be workable, it just looks too small to be of use. Maybe if it was set back in the case with a fresnel magnifier something is possible, but I don't really want to go there...

Thanks in advance.

Z

1) Can anyone confirm the resolution of the AMPCD unit? I *think* it is 800 x 800.

2) Ditto dimensions (or even just width)? I assume it is imperial but metric would be fine too.

The only remotely similar unit I can find in hobbyist land is from DAS-Tek in Shanghai who do this 4" 720 x 720 product, but whilst the resolution might be workable, it just looks too small to be of use. Maybe if it was set back in the case with a fresnel magnifier something is possible, but I don't really want to go there...

Thanks in advance.

Z

You're better off getting some a little bit larger and building a case around it. I have a blog going in my signature, take a look and hopefully be inspired.

Thanks in advance.

Z

Your better off exporting the ampcd to another screen, then you can make it any size you want..

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

• 1 year later...

New guy here and Im trying to understand a few of things from this old thread and in the game. 

1. Why are all the flicks that were supposed to be showing the lower ampcd in this thread not available for viewing?

2. Why am I watching tutorials on youtube explaining the use of the ampcd showing the screens as white with black letters.

3. How can I change my F18C ampcd to that same white and black?

After all people are using it in what appears to be those Lot20 F18's. The color screen that is currently in my jet is all but unreadable.

Thanks for any help someone might be able to provide.

Ren  

Edited by DamnedRen
spelling

1. Some videos contain copyrighted material that prevents the video from being embedded outside of YouTube. Some posts may have been made with old formatting. Some videos may just no longer be available.

2. Which videos? Some may also be using mods that change the color.

3. Mods can be used to change the text color on the displays. However, you can use the GAIN and CONT rockers on the MPCD to adjust the display.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Thanks for a quick response.

I would like to be able to use that lower center screen in color but it has so much yellow and blurry green in to I can't even see the 

HSI/info unless I use the black/green screen. 

I was looking at a training video on you tube made by the grim reapers. It was in their F18C Hornet multi lesson tutorial. I believe tutorial #2 shows the ampcd with color

but it's sharply defined with just a little bit of green. I spent a 1/2 hour just trying to adjust contrast, brightness etc just to get rid of the huge yellow blur. 

I use a quest 2 including snap in lenses for eye correction that gives me a clear view of the gauges except for that color screen.

Ren

5 hours ago, DamnedRen said:

I would like to be able to use that lower center screen in color but it has so much yellow and blurry green in to I can't even see the 

I was looking at a training video on you tube made by the grim reapers. It was in their F18C Hornet multi lesson tutorial. I believe tutorial #2 shows the ampcd with color

but it's sharply defined with just a little bit of green. I spent a 1/2 hour just trying to adjust contrast, brightness etc just to get rid of the huge yellow blur. 

I use a quest 2 including snap in lenses for eye correction that gives me a clear view of the gauges except for that color screen.

Ren

If you switch the AMPCD to Night mode, you can adjust GAIN, CON and SYM manually. I find that a low GAIN value, coupled with a CON of 4 gives me good enough results, but you're not wrong that it's not always clear. I usually lower GAIN and CON to the point where the map video is barely visible. I use a Reverb G2, for reference.
MDG_strokesDefs.lua
I also made a small mod to help highlight the AMPCD symbology better, by increasing the black border of the display elements. Give it a shot and see if it helps. Place it in DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\Common\indicator\ . You're going to have to replace the current file and replace it after every update/repair or better yet, use a mod manager, such as OVGME.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

13 hours ago, DamnedRen said:

Ren

I've got the same "issue" of not able to read AMPCD symbols well when enabling map in the background, even if I have turned up contrast to 9. BTW I'm flying with VR, the green color are too close to the map color. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]