Another FPAS question/observation

Eagle7907

Hey folks. I noticed something that I can’t really get an answer in the NATOPS. The FPAS page has the TACAN/Waypoint steering line below the current range and endurance fields. I understand that it shouldn’t display anything without WYPT or TCN selected on the HSI. It should when selected.

What bothers me is DCS shows when WYPT is selected it shows WYPT and the waypoint number navigating to. But when you switch to TCN, DCS for me says TCN 10. What’s the 10? I can’t find an illustration nor textual information on what that should be.

Anyone know? I “assume” it’s supposed to be the TACAN identifier, but I can’t be for certain. I tried 44X, 31X and same result yesterday (TCN 10). Waypoint selected before TCN was waypoint 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Right, but I’m still curious to know what is supposed to be there. The NATOPS bible doesn’t mention about it in the appropriate verse. Is it the identifier? Is it the selected channel? Is it nothing at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

On top of that, the times given for "TCN 10" are totally out of bounds and hardly ever change... usually around :05:55 - :05:58 in my Caucasus flights even though the station selected is just around the corner. Plus fuel remaining stays blank.

Also I wonder what "ADV- FPAS" wants to tell us...

252699160_DCS2018-11-1023-44-15-70.thumb.jpg.78a8007ed5dc4e0ca195505ec148e071.jpg

513286586_DCS2018-11-1105-44-44-45.thumb.jpg.06c67e7846a1e4b8728676641797d640.jpg

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Come to think of it, you're right. I don't recall the timer counting down. I imagine that's supposed to be an ETA timer. I believe that's supposed to be what's displayed on the HSI with the respective navigation.

On top of that, the times given for "TCN 10" are totally out of bounds and hardly ever change... usually around :05:55 - :05:58 in my Caucasus flights even though the station selected is just around the corner. Plus fuel remaining stays blank.

If FPAS can't calculate - time to waypoint, fuel remaining or if the TACAN is invalid, Xs should be displayed. If TAS exceeds Mach 0.9, the fuel remaining is blanked.

I haven't seen the X's in DCS, only the fuel remaining getting blanked. I think the other data stops updating ? Perhaps WIP.

Also I wonder what "ADV- FPAS" wants to tell us...

That FPAS can't calculate the HOME FUEL caution i.e. fuel remaining is blanked

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The time next to the station is not time to go but estimated time of arrival in zulu time. Switch your IFEI to Zulu time and you'll have a comparison.

Interesting. I must observe this. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If FPAS can't calculate - time to waypoint, fuel remaining or if the TACAN is invalid, Xs should be displayed. If TAS exceeds Mach 0.9, the fuel remaining is blanked.

I haven't seen the X's in DCS, only the fuel remaining getting blanked. I think the other data stops updating ? Perhaps WIP.

That FPAS can't calculate the HOME FUEL caution i.e. fuel remaining is blanked

Thanks... explains a lot. Was supersonic on both screenshots dealwithit.png

The time next to the station is not time to go but estimated time of arrival in zulu time. Switch your IFEI to Zulu time and you'll have a comparison.

Actually this is spot on then, on my 2nd screenshot it's 9:51 local which would be 5:51 Zulu, so ETA was somewhere around 6 minutes. Still a bit unintuitive fsgrin.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 5 months later...

The "TCN #" identifier is still here, I am looking up some real cockpit videos that I could quickly find on youtube althought the resolution is 1080p the quality in bitrate is not at all as these are portable cameras (GoPro likely) so it's not conclusive but I think I can say it doesn't show TCN 0 or TCN 4 ... it's still too hard to see whether it's WYP or TCN in the real video tho, but there's a larger gap and some 3-4 letters where the DCS shows the number.

I didn't look that much, I might when I have more time, found one with it in the first 3 minutes.

You know, because the pilot actually needs to have the FPAS page in view of the camera.

TCN 0 was BATUMI and TCN 4 was SENAKI in my case, some kind of internal DCS identifier, it should state the name of the station like BTM and TSK

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria