Graphic Issue, Shimmering Ground Structures, Linear Edges - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
gary palmer

Default Graphic Issue, Shimmering Ground Structures, Linear Edges

Was wondering if someone knows how to sort out either a Nvidia graphic setting or a setting within DCS2.5 that causes a shimmering effect with:
*ground structures such as a cluster of buildings in the distance,
*vertical street lighting poles,
*vertical power transmission poles,
*on the profile border line of larger buildings
With the street lighting poles and power transmission poles it is almost like a pulsing
effect up and down the height of these structures.
*Also occurs slightly on linear edges of aircraft
*Also occurs on water of ocean in distance...makes things look jagged...

running w7/64 and using a MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Duke OC 11GB

Attached are pics of nvidia settings and game settings am using.

Any ideas appreciated....Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCS system options settings.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	197272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nvidia setting changes from default in red.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	197273  
gary palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
Len62

In the game settings try out the SSAA options. It was a tremendous help to me on the Normandy map.
Len62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
gary palmer

Have found the following settings have greatly improved the shimmering issue but not eliminated it. I do not use the Supersampling Anti-aliasing SSAA within the game settings as I find it is very resource hungry and causes stuttering within the game. This is with a powerful GPU (MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Duke OC 11GB). Have found that the with Nvidia Control Panel ... Antialiasing-Transparency set to max setting of 8x (supersample) reduced the problem considerably. Attached are my settings adjusted that gave the best results. Running w7/64.

Also is worth mentioning that if you look at promotional videos done by DCS you do not see this problem. These videos are done on super computers and at super high resolutions, so seems to me the more powerful your PC setup the less the problem. Have only just recently gone from a GTX1060 to my current GPU and just doing that alone reduced the problem.

A Google search on this issue produces results that span quite a few years ... this is obviously a long standing problem that has a very core issue within design of game itself...but can be minimised. Hope this helps... GaRY.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCS system settings NEW .JPG
Views:	71
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	197363   Click image for larger version

Name:	NV control panel settings NEW .JPG
Views:	95
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	197364  

Last edited by gary palmer; 11-08-2018 at 01:11 PM. Reason: add information
Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Len62

Yes, the shimmering issue has been around for quite a while. Glad you found settings that work for you.
Len62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
petsild

I don't want to disappoint you, but AA it in the drivers 8 x supersample can't work.
Valid from version DCS 2.0 only works internal antialiasing plus SSAA, external Nvidia only FXAA or MFAA.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #6
Mustang
Veteran

Maximum pre-rendered frames of 4? you do realize that actually makes the sim more sluggish and less resource efficient, 1 pre-rendered frame is preferable.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #7
gary palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsild View Post
I don't want to disappoint you, but AA it in the drivers 8 x supersample can't work.
Valid from version DCS 2.0 only works internal antialiasing plus SSAA, external Nvidia only FXAA or MFAA.
Within NV Control Panel...Antialiasing -Setting is greyed out and not selectable...however Antialiasing - Transparency is not and available for selection. If I turn it off shimmering increases noticeably if I turn it on shimmering does the opposite so not sure if what you have indicated is true. Am just reporting what I observe here.

Mustang regarding use of Maximum pre-rendered frames of 4 does not in my case make game slow or sluggish on my rig. I tried all the possibilities for this component of NV CP and 4 gave me the best result.

Thanks all for input is very helpful...gary

Last edited by gary palmer; 11-09-2018 at 04:41 AM. Reason: correction of information
Old 11-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
petsild

The Pilot of the Mustang just highlights that the value of 4 will extremely increase the inpu lag, then you will worsen the response during the maneuver.
When you are sure that SS works, you can to compare make two pictures,thank you.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
BuzzU

Try turning off shadows and turn AF to 16x in game. I keep everything application controlled in Nvidia panel.

I have almost no shimmering with a 1060 6g card. Never any stutters.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
BuzzU is offline   Reply With Quote