Harrier worth half off?

Gwalker99

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look in this sub-forum, take a look at bug reports, how they are handled and since when they are reported and how long the Harrier is already in EA. Build your own opinion about the devs and then make a decision.

Everything else will always be subjective and not objective.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

If you're expecting a perfect module, you shouldn't consider buying it. There are still many more or less important bugs. But after all, it's still "early access" even if that is already for a long time. If you can live with those bugs and just want to fly around with the Harrier, without every system working accurately, it's a lot of fun. VTOL alone already is fun. I personally don't regret that I have bought it. But most of the time I'm flying the A-10C and the Harrier is a welcome alternative. What other VTOL alternative do we have? I suppose the F-35B won't be available in DCS during the next few decades, so there's not much of an alternative if you want to try a VTOL airplane.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I bought the Harrier at the start of this sale and have been having a blast with it. I rarely if ever touch Air to Air in DCS, always mud moving, and I think the Harrier is perfect for me:

• The V/STOL capabilities and operating from the Tarawa is unique and challenging.
  • The built in DMT (targeting sensor thingy) is cool and gives you options if you want to skip a targeting pod for various scenarios.
  • Unique (for DCS) weapons like the Sidearm anti radiation missile and laser guided Echo maverick. The echo maverick is really interesting to use as a stand off weapon.
  • High quality 3D meshes and textures.
  • Other unique features like FLIR overlay on the HUD for night operations (I know it's slightly misaligned due ta bug or otherwise, but it's still cool and useful for target aquisition).

Great fun. And I haven't ran into any showstopper bugs. My other go to aircraft is the Mirage, so I'd say I'm very happy with Razbam overall.

Being a 3rd party developer to DCS is basically operating in a niche within a niche within a niche, and given that development of these modules often take place parallell to another, full time job, I'm very happy with the results.

But as mentioned above, you might still want to check the bug report forum just to see if there is some specific aspect of the aircraft that you plan on using a lot that has issues.

I also recommend Red Kite's videos on the Harrier on YouTube for getting a feel for the systems:

thanks for opinion...

"[is the] Harrier worth half off?"

Yes.

It has a better than expected flight model and is fairly accurate to the available NATOPS manuals, when you get into system details i.e. MFD sub pages, AWLS, etc. there's some differences and compromises for DCS that may make you switch to the detailed A-10C for it's more advanced features, however I've no regrets buying the AV-8B.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

DMT is cool but can't be used with a ministick (bug).

F-18 (and F-16) also have Harms an echo Mavericks.

FLIR will also come to F-16 & 18. Function to align it is missing since ever...

There are a lot "showstopper" bugs, if you haven't run into one, you are not flying it long enough.

Steam user - Youtube

It is worth half off, yes. There are issues and room for improvement, but its not as doomsday as some people like to make it look. There are postive things about it aswell, which twicedead has summed up very nicely.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

• ED Team

Harrier is a lot of fun, had many hours enjoying it.

Worth it full price in my opinion, but you will get many opinions here some more out spoken than others.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

At full price? Yes but with the caveat that you should research the difficulties the module has had. Bugs and at times slow progress. I feel its at an "Almost there" state now.

At half off? Absolutely.

The Vtol/stol is a lot of fun and it pretty capable while being so much fast than the A-10.

Yes - it's quite interesting to fly. Will be a while before you start bumping into the bugs, even for Harrier... That said almost no product is perfect here and even the Viggen is considered somehow beta/EA.

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

I really enjoy flying mine, and have done since launch.

Sure, it would be better if the niggly bits were finished (e.g. point-track still not functioning as expected), but for all of that, it's one of my favourite modules, and I do own most of them.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

We have been flying the Harrier since release here at UK Navalops and we think it's a fantastic plane. Sure there are a few features still missing but SHOW STOPPING BUGS?????? Just don't listen to these people as they are the same people who moan all the time and frankly probably don't know their elbow from their ass so just don't listen to them...The harrier is great at no matter what price

Don't expect A-10C quality. It has more than a few bugs, some inaccuracies when it comes to systems etc. So if you like truly "study sim" level you might be dissapointed. However, if you want vtol fun and you are not too picky about issues, it is a pretty good module at half-off.

At half price it is good value but being still in early access around two years on there are things being worked on by Razbam albeit from the outside it appears that the progress has slowed down considerably. But it is in my opinion the most fun CAS aircraft in DCS and I think that when it is completed it could rank as one of the top handful of fixed wing modules. The question though is how far away are Razbam from completing I?. Bottom line you have to determine are you happy to accept it in it's current early access state, with the baggage that accompanies an early access experience.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Hi, just bought the harrier yesterday, its great to fly (played Av8b as a kid in the 90's!) but have no idea how to actually work it!!

where are the training missions or operational manual?

thanks

Click on TRAINING on the start-screen of DCS and then choose the AV8BNA. There's a lot of training missions for the Harrier.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

DMT is cool but can't be used with a ministick (bug).

Should read "is difficult to use with a ministick, currently", well at least I use it and though it is a bit jumpy and seems to only get input from one axis at a time, I can make it work. Alternative is to use a Hat-switch on the Warthog.

...still no Sidearm and a lot of things are currently planned in DCS for the future not only for the F-16 and F/A-18. What's that to do with the current armament options of the Harrier.

The new FLIR/IR system in DCS is "missing" aka in development since forever, as well. Likely the reason, why Razbam builds it's current on the limitations of the a available DCS engine?

There are a lot "showstopper" bugs, if you haven't run into one, you are not flying it long enough.

Yes, we understand you have a personal gripe with Razbam, as they don't treat you with the attention you deserve, but it is interesting that so many, many people still are able to work around the "showstoppers" for quite a while and not only that, but have tremendous fun and fly successful sorties in the AV-8B N/A Harrier II, especially after Razbam released all these updates and new implementations over the last year.

As for "not flying it long enough" statement: You will find bugs/issues/inaccuracies even in the Ka-50, A-10C or any other Module, if you fly it long enough and test thoroughly, until you notice... That's nothing special to the Harrier.

In my personal opinion, the AV-8B N/A Harrier II is a unique aircraft that is well represented in DCS and though still in EA and not everything is bugfree or 100% implemented, it is a good choice if you love ground attack/CAS operations. With the addition of JDAM planned by Razbam in the near future (look for the dev videos) the Harrier will be a great module combining the CAS aspects of the A-10 with unique USMC Carrier ops from the Tarawa in the only VSTOL airplane in DCS.

Worth the price? Definitely! :)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Should read "is difficult to use with a ministick, currently", well at least I use it and though it is a bit jumpy and seems to only get input from one axis at a time, I can make it work. Alternative is to use a Hat-switch on the Warthog.

...still no Sidearm and a lot of things are currently planned in DCS for the future not only for the F-16 and F/A-18. What's that to do with the current armament options of the Harrier.

The new FLIR/IR system in DCS is "missing" aka in development since forever, as well. Likely the reason, why Razbam builds it's current on the limitations of the a available DCS engine?

Yes, we understand you have a personal gripe with Razbam, as they don't treat you with the attention you deserve, but it is interesting that so many, many people still are able to work around the "showstoppers" for quite a while and not only that, but have tremendous fun and fly successful sorties in the AV-8B N/A Harrier II, especially after Razbam released all these updates and new implementations over the last year.

As for "not flying it long enough" statement: You will find bugs/issues/inaccuracies even in the Ka-50, A-10C or any other Module, if you fly it long enough and test thoroughly, until you notice... That's nothing special to the Harrier.

In my personal opinion, the AV-8B N/A Harrier II is a unique aircraft that is well represented in DCS and though still in EA and not everything is bugfree or 100% implemented, it is a good choice if you love ground attack/CAS operations. With the addition of JDAM planned by Razbam in the near future (look for the dev videos) the Harrier will be a great module combining the CAS aspects of the A-10 with unique USMC Carrier ops from the Tarawa in the only VSTOL airplane in DCS.

Worth the price? Definitely! :)

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbup:

Yes, we understand you have a personal gripe with Razbam,

[...]

No, it's not usable. Maybe only, if you're a Fanboy/Whiteknight. Then you suffer with joy. But normal customers just want it to work.

I wouldn't buy it again the way it goes at the moment and for a long time. I would be really mad if I had paid the full price

What's that to do with the current armament options of the Harrier.

I just wanted to correct this statement:

• Unique (for DCS) weapons like the Sidearm anti radiation missile and laser guided Echo maverick. The echo maverick is really interesting to use as a stand off weapon.
  • Other unique features like FLIR overlay on the HUD for night operations (I know it's slightly misaligned due ta bug or otherwise, but it's still cool and useful for target aquisition).

Its just not true that those features are unique.

Nothing more I said:

I wrote no personal opinon in that thread. On the contrary, I even adviced the OP to build his own opinon.

Build your own opinion about the devs and then make a decision.

Everything else will always be subjective and not objective.

You can have a personal opinion from me if you like, but that has nothing to do with anything like that I would get not enough personal attention as you are saying:

The Harrier is longer in EA then most other modules.

The Harrier has more show stopping bugs then all other modules together. (Take a look in the bug sections, maybe you need some reminder if you haven't flown it a longer time...)

Bug reports are ignored over years.

A complete other module was developed and released in between.

Since July (4 months) there are no updates on the Harrier.

I would strongly advice to not buy it until all bugs are fixed and it is complete.

Not because its a bad aircraft, I have hundreds of hours in it and a lot of fun.

But because of the points written above.

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube