Looking for advice.

So, I'm pretty new here, and I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed ad naseum already. I searched but found nothing specific to my issue (as far as I know).

I am trying to figure out why it is I seem to have such horrific performance issues...specifically on the Normandy Map, but also occasionally on Nevada too.

I am pretty much a tech noob, but though my system is older, I believe it should still have fairly good performance.

I am running an Intel i7 960 3.2 mhz with h110i corsair cooler, gtx 1080 and 18 gb ram and have placed most of the settings on medium and reduced the visibility range, and I am getting about 30 fps on the ground and occasionally higher in the air but as soon as I close to gun range on another plane...slide show. I am at like 5 fps.

What could be causing that sudden drop and what could be causing the general lack of performance I am seeing others with similar rigs consistently getting?

Sorry for my general noobiness.

• ED Team

Hi

take a screenshot of your settings ingame and attach it here we might be able to suggest a tweak.

also are you using a SSD or HDD?

Make sure your windows is up to date and all drivers are the latest ones

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

You should. Put it on your list. I was made a believer when I tried it.

+1

Should be at the VERY top of your shopping list.

You may also be able to overclock your CPU, depending on the CPU cooler and your skills, it would be well worth it with your GPU.

edit:

My tip would a Samsung 850 Pro 2.5" SSD, 256GB or larger. They have 10-year warranty on the Pro models and you can use the SSD with your future Board as well once you upgrade the mobo/cpu/ram section:smartass:

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks. I will get one today and try that. Been thinking about it for a while.

Sadly, my CPU cannot be overclocked, at least not in a way I am comfortable trying, which is a shame, because it seems (other than the hard drives) that it is the only part of my system really showing its age.

Your problem will be linked to the game settings and not SSD disk.

Mainly, turn shadows to flat ones and do not use AA combined with Deffered lightning. That will solve many performance issues people have.

In what resolution do you play?

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Thanks. I will get one today and try that. Been thinking about it for a while.

Sadly, my CPU cannot be overclocked, at least not in a way I am comfortable trying, which is a shame, because it seems (other than the hard drives) that it is the only part of my system really showing its age.

Gimme full specs of your CPU and I will link you to an OC page for your model.

I still have an i7-920 that only overclocks by FSB, 1st gen i7's that is. YOu will need to calculate a bit and may have to sacrifice a few MHz or overclock a few MHZ on the RAM to match the divider.

Once you read a little you willsee, it an't that hard and can bring good results, especially if you are still below 4GHZ. DCS loves GHz ! Up to a certain number you see direct results if your GPU is no bottleneck.

edit: you have an odd RAM value, please list the modules with theor specs too as this is crucial for 1st-Gen i7 overclocking ! Use Aida64 or CPUZ to get the info..or any other app that reads your system

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hi Whirlaway, it could be also nice to know what output you use to understand the performance problem, do you use 3 x 4K display ? (bit joking but 5fps is.....weird with a 1080gtx)

Would also be nice to post Afterburner graphs of a DCS flight to see usages and clocks value accorded to fps graph.

Okay. I will try that. I noticed some better performance taking water to med (I thought it was, but it was on high).

It's still pretty bad though...especially when getting close to other planes.

I will post my settings and detailed specs this weekend.