AMD Vega 56/64 Launched

Vega's much like Polaris, are having heat and bios inflicted throttling issues.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I did some more testing and got mostly nice 90 FPS by setting the visibility distance low. I didn't notice any impact on how far I could spot other aircrafts, but FPS did increase noticeably. I will try to do more tinkering on what pixel density is best for Vega-VR, 1.5 seemed to have some impact on FPS but it was still playable. I mostly used 1.0 PD and with it radar display was a little tough to read.Flying low and doing some M2000 BFM in missile instant action FPS was bouncing around 45 (Rifts ATW).

^ on SkateZilla's post I don't think the GPU is heat-throttling in my case, as temps are ~30-35 degrees and both core&memory clocks are mostly only 50% of maxed values. In full GPU load (other games) max temperature is ~45c on my watercooled loop.

I'm quite happy with this as now I can at least play the game and enjoy it. But I still wouldn't suggest getting a Vega for DCS unless you have other uses like Freesync-monitor. Also, I don't know anything about normal monitor-performance with the Vega since I'm only using VR.

I did some more testing and got mostly nice 90 FPS by setting the visibility distance low. I didn't notice any impact on how far I could spot other aircrafts, but FPS did increase noticeably. I will try to do more tinkering on what pixel density is best for Vega-VR, 1.5 seemed to have some impact on FPS but it was still playable. I mostly used 1.0 PD and with it radar display was a little tough to read.Flying low and doing some M2000 BFM in missile instant action FPS was bouncing around 45 (Rifts ATW).

^ on SkateZilla's post I don't think the GPU is heat-throttling in my case, as temps are ~30-35 degrees and both core&memory clocks are mostly only 50% of maxed values. In full GPU load (other games) max temperature is ~45c on my watercooled loop.

I'm quite happy with this as now I can at least play the game and enjoy it. But I still wouldn't suggest getting a Vega for DCS unless you have other uses like Freesync-monitor. Also, I don't know anything about normal monitor-performance with the Vega since I'm only using VR.

the BiOS can cause throttling for various reasons (temps, voltages, predicted load etc).

However, for VR, Visibility Distance should pretty much always be on low, as anything rendered in distances for High and Med you wont be able to clearly see due to Pixel Density of the displays.

The Higher the View Distance setting, the more objects are drawn within a view circle.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Slightly on topic: AMD released Crimson 17.9.2 with support for Vega multi x2 GPU

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-Edition-17.9.2-Release-Notes.aspx

Sure, now that Winter comes :cold:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Slightly on topic: AMD released Crimson 17.9.2 with support for Vega multi x2 GPU

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-Edition-17.9.2-Release-Notes.aspx

I heard it wasnt a good idea to do Vega mGPU yet.. too many problems.