Finally flying but can't land

True but I never said that, I was referring to the relationship of VSI to puckering especially when VSI suddenly increases. :D

Yup. In this case, you need to *immediately* move the cyclic forward or to the side before you've lost too much altitude to recover.

--gos

Yup. In this case, you need to *immediately* move the cyclic forward or to the side before you've lost too much altitude to recover.

--gos

Or this seems to be the latest for VRS recovery.

makes for interesting reading

Frag :thumbup:

Edited by FragBum
<typo>

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, great thread for me to read, as I'm just starting out on this beast. It seems a heck of a challenge to fly this, and one I would like to accept. I had a few a few quick questions about 'airframe shake' and 'generator failure' that have more or less been addressed here. Just one other is about the 'corrector'? ...can anyone shed some light on the correct operation of that? (..also this is mapped to my TM HOTAS slide control, which I normally like for my 'Zoom-in'. Any alternative recommended?)

Thanks for any advice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:pilotfly:

Peronally I avoid hover landings when possible. First you need to hover, and then keep an eye on doppler velocity indicator (better than VSI which feels a bit slow) while going down slowly.

So for landing, such as on helipads first lose the alt and then worry about the speed. By the time you are close to pad, it should be less than 100 km/hr. The rest is easy.

But of course, other pilots have their own approaches which works fine for them.

This space is available for your advertisement

Hi all, great thread for me to read, as I'm just starting out on this beast. It seems a heck of a challenge to fly this, and one I would like to accept. I had a few a few quick questions about 'airframe shake' and 'generator failure' that have more or less been addressed here. Just one other is about the 'corrector'? ...can anyone shed some light on the correct operation of that? (..also this is mapped to my TM HOTAS slide control, which I normally like for my 'Zoom-in'. Any alternative recommended?)

Thanks for any advice.

Sorry i missed this how is the Mi8 going?

Corrector do you mean collective, would make sense I guess mapped to throttle just as a control input. You don't normally adjust actual throttle unless your doing startup/shutdown.

My thinking here is that it's the analogue of a throttle for a plane or the amount of power you are applying.

Air frame shake.

Firstly translational lift is an effect when there is a relative air flow towards the rotor AKA forward flight although it doesn't matter in which direction it's just a relative air flow into the rotor. That relative airflow could also be from wind too.

Translational Lift (Effective Translational Lift ETL) Starts to occur in a region of relative air speed between 16 and 24knots* and provides more lift from the rotor disc, whilst going through the region (it's not a sudden on/off effect) of the aircraft will tend to shake sometime fairly violently when transitioning through the onset of translational lift then after that the aircraft will be fairly stable. This also occurs when slowing down and is something to watch out for as the reverse occurs and you need to use more collective to maintain height to compensate for reduced lift of the rotor disc.

Translation Lift continues to increase with increasing speed until other factors take over.

Probably a better explanation here.

* Design factors of the aircraft can effect the speed range.

When I said relative air speed it doesn't matter which way you fly the helicopter, I can fly sideways backwards any direction and the effect on the aircraft is the same as you transition through that region and it's good to get a feel for it as IAS doesn't work unless your going forward. :thumbup:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Once you get used to the position of the instruments, where the dials are in comparison to the instruments Hash marks. Then it is time to zoom out and observe a wide field of view on your surroundings whilst being able to check your dials position with the flick of an eye.

When you drive a car, with your elbow leaning out of the window and with your eye on the car in front of you. believe me you will see your elbow out the window, legs below the steering wheel and hand on gear stick in you periphery vision.

Do your self a favour when landing.... take it all in.... zoom out.... its just more natural.

Fine scale Doppler drop instruments are not required.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

When you drive a car, with your elbow leaning out of the window and with your eye on the car in front of you. believe me you will see your elbow out the window, legs below the steering wheel and hand on gear stick in you periphery vision.

Do your self a favour when landing.... take it all in.... zoom out.... its just more natural.

Fine scale Doppler drop instruments are not required.

That's about how it feels, not so sure about the "elbow out the window" thing. :thumbup:

Without smashing off the tail boom.

It seems like the helo does not like to lose altitude and airspeed.

Anyway, if anyone has advice for mastering this, I appreciate it.

If you are below 40 kilometers per hour, don't descend with a vertical speed exceeding 3 meters per second or there is a good chance you will fall like a rock. I know, because I mastered falling like a rock with the MI-8 long before learning how to land it. :prop:

Edited by mjmorrow

mmmmph I'd keep any OGE and/or out of ETL sink rates to around 1 to 2 MPS :)

landing can be a bi ach :lol:

Edited by FragBum
<typo>