Damage model - tail ripped off and still "flying"...

Anatoli-Kagari9

Yesterday while flying one of the included missions, I was chasing a 109 and I heard a guy on my tail shooting... I heard some impacts, but nothing really special, although my Spitfire started feeling "strange", and less responsive...

It happened not to have any tail at all, it had been ripped off !

Well, I certainly didn't have yaw or pitch authority, and my Spitfire was entering a shallow dive, and varying power affected control, but it was still somehow "flyable"...

I assume losing the tail would not only be quite noticeable to the pilot, and I would expect for sure a much more pronounced effect in pitch, and due to prop effects...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I haven't had it personally but have had some of the people I fly with complain about shooting a spit's tail off and they grow them back sometimes. Happened multiple times.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I could fly it with the entire right wing off the other day :D

I couldn't land it though, it's already difficult enough with both wings on ;)

Note, one day I had the stabilizer completely ripped off the F-86 and it had been possible to get it back to the airport and even land it without too much problems. It probably depends where the center of gravity is when it happens, and the attitude envelope is certainly much restrained, but some authority may remain by playing with the throttle and the rudder.

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 9 months later...