[FIXED] HUD: A picture is worth a thousand words?

randomTOTEN

Just been on the Hoggit server. The seating position seems different to me, higher up, like in Wags Warthog II videos. The HUD seems a lot clearer to me too, closer/bigger font. I am in VR though and not 2D but it seems much easier to read than before.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I can confirm that there has been a significant change in the last open beta. I use TrackIR, and if I set normal zoom and recenter my TrackIR, this is my sight picture:

2FbhFUf.png

It appears that the head position is directly over the front edge of the seat cushion, about 2 inches aft of the stick... makes a TON of sense.... /s

It seems like the HUD has been scaled up as well. If I move my head back to a sane position, using the "normal" zoom level, the HUD becomes all but unusable:

EUzfuwB.png

Lastly, a bit of an aside: On top of the FOV issues, this is the second update I've seen in the past few months that has been released with significant (and arguably breaking) changes to the A-10C that were completely omitted from the changelog. In this update alone I've seen that a) a bunch of the switch positions and mouse bindings have changed (right/left click have been swapped) b) the warning siren is limited to the gear extension (a fix from the A-10c II iirc), and the seat position and hud has been changed, as we have been just discussing. I only found those within about 10 minutes of flying the warthog. I get that these aren't all bug fixes per say, but why don't these make it into the change log? It would definitely give us a better picture into what's happening in development...

Edited by acceleraptor
Fixed image links.

Comparing Stable to the current Open Beta, I can see in Views.lua for the A-10C that the default head position has indeed been changed:

Old:

[13] = makeSnapView({xyz = {0.157, -0.008,  0.000},ypr = { 0.000,  -19.000, 0.000},FOV = 75}),--default view
[14] = makeSnapView({xyz = {0.2,   -0.025,  0.000},ypr = { 0.000,  -19.000, 0.000},FOV = 75}),--VR 

New:

[13] = makeSnapView({xyz = {0.298,  -0.041,  0.000},ypr = { 0.000,  -19.000, 0.000},FOV = 73}),--default view
[14] = makeSnapView({xyz = {0.298,  -0.041,  0.000},ypr = { 0.000,  -19.000, 0.000},FOV = 73}),--VR 

I don't know how the coordinate axes are laid out here... can anyone shed some light on this?

ok so after reading these contradictory messages I went back in DCS and messed around with few settings:

indeed the new view point and other updates made it to this build even if they're not reported in the changelog.

the reason why the first time I didn't see any difference is because if you have set a custom snap view point like many of us in the saved files folder it overrides the default (new) one in DCS

So I went ahead and removed the snapviews.lua in Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Config/View and bang! the new viewpoint is now available in game

I really don't understand why ED didn't include this in the changelog together with a note about deleting your existing snapviews.lua to enable the "fix"... would have made a lot of good publicity and definitely avoid much confusion in many of us!

Other fixes that made it in this build that I've noticed so far are:

- new viewpoint

- left/right click logic changed in many switches

- master caution aural warning logic updated

- possibily new G-tollerance to buffet onset but have to do more testing

- stby ADÌ cage/uncage bug fixed

Below 2 screenshot of the "old" vs "new" view, both same OB build without touching any zoom/view point, just had to delete the snapview.lua

hope this helps whoever was struggling with this

1399007774_A10Cnewview.thumb.jpg.a860197a5300f1db54a76ba53f076239.jpg

1844842681_A10Coldview.thumb.jpg.0ed42ecea1a19a3bb559e952100b6a1e.jpg

Edited by Snakedoc
Added fix to list

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

In this update alone I've seen that a) a bunch of the switch positions and mouse bindings have changed (right/left click have been swapped)

This seems to be happening to random controls in many modules. They need to stick to their own conventions. Left click clicks down (or toggles a two position switch to the other position). Right click clicks up (ditto). And left/right dials/switches are turned in the direction of the click. (Not the indicator, the knob. You don't grab the indicator.)

This seems to be happening to random controls in many modules. They need to stick to their own conventions. Left click clicks down (or toggles a two position switch to the other position). Right click clicks up (ditto). And left/right dials/switches are turned in the direction of the click. (Not the indicator, the knob. You don't grab the indicator.)

I think this may be part of some kind of standardization to be more consistent. I have no issue with the changes, but I kind of wish they were communicated ahead of time.

Also why is this marked as fixed? I remember reading several posts earlier on in this thread indicating that everything was visible on the HUD from a normal head position. And yet, in the plugin's current state, to see the entire HUD, you have to be so far forward that your eyes are practically over the control stick. Just to give everyone an idea, here's where in the cockpit my eyes are, laterally, in game:

Ibkh7YB.png

This is nowhere close to the external model, which places the pilots head about 8-10 in aft of the current point in the cockpit.

Anybody tried 5mil or 3/9 consent release modes?

Yes, the aiming reticle is completely rendered on the bottom of the HUD.

Also the IFFCC menu has been adjusted and is now visible.

My initial impression was the the HUD font got smaller as well (or perhaps it is now correctly sized), and will need to experiment with the eyepoint to learn more.

Feels like the seat was moved 6-8” closer to the instrument panel but I feel like I’m now 6” shorter sitting in the pit.

I thought our eyeline was supposed to make the two bolts on the upper right of the HUD align?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I believe it's also supposed to reveal the top row buttons on the MFD's.

I think it needs to be farther back, but need to look at how that works with the HUD projection.

I agree. I think the line of the "pilot's" spine needs to be moved back a virtual 6" or so.

I did run the seat up a little higher which helped with the heading tape, but as mentioned above, the top row of the MFCDs wasn't able to be seen without leaning forward and down so I had to lower the seat back down a bit and settle for having the heading tape just barely behind the HUD camera.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Trying to fly the A10 this morning and it’s so hard to use the HUD. Maybe it’s fixed in the new A10 but it’s no good in the current one. I don’t use VR but on a monitor with Track IR I’m constantly having to move head positions to see all the info at one.

Trying to fly the A10 this morning and it’s so hard to use the HUD. Maybe it’s fixed in the new A10 but it’s no good in the current one. I don’t use VR but on a monitor with Track IR I’m constantly having to move head positions to see all the info at one.

Did you delete your snapviews.lua from saved games folder? If its still there you might have the old view saved as default and you won't get the new one

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4498984&postcount=234

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

So in real Hogs the heading tape is just useless because it is just behind the HUD camera all the time?

Fun I guess...

In real Hogs it's like in DCS VR : pilots have 2 eyes so the Hud camera is not an issue. Center of heading tape is perfectly visible with both eyes, and Hud stuff that is masked on 1 eye because camera is visible on the other eye and vice-versa.

A10cVRhud.jpg.c1834dd6f9816a6b630eb2ed1d602db3.jpg

In real Hogs it's like in DCS VR : pilots have 2 eyes so the Hud camera is not an issue. Center of heading tape is perfectly visible with both eyes, and Hud stuff that is masked on 1 eye because camera is visible on the other eye and vice-versa.

[ATTACH]248285[/ATTACH]

in your pics the STPT info in the bottom right and bottom left are both masked partially by the frame of the hud and the image projector, one in the left eye view and one with the right eye view.. how could you be reading those info even in your stereoscopic vision?

I get the heading tape which is viewed correctly, but those info above seems to be masked anyway partially

Hard to tell because you are in MAN REL mode. Would you try 5mil?
I wanted to show that release mode but couldnt figure out how to switch it in game. I'll try to post a pic later. I didn't see a difference with new FOV when I updated but knowing I editted my default view before figured that was it. Deleted the whole a10 part from the snapview LUA and it now showed new FOV. With new FOV azimuth/fall line dont go to top of sightglass and info on right and left are higher up and moved inward. Maybe its just difference in monitors but your pic looks like old view to me.