F-15C Nose whell SHIMMY BUG

303_Vins

• ED Team

Hi

if you think there is a bug please include a short track replay showing the issue.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

if you think there is a bug please include a short track replay showing the issue.

thanks

rgr. on my way

1- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-v5DcK0o5chSe19IQHAaX_EopO5fUuGX/view?usp=sharing

2- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yl9VFetxsZA7FvRriIuniIq-foqPElF5/view?usp=sharing

50 kts is anough to start big amplitude Shimmy effect. This is a BUG. Normally Shimmy vibrations of nose wheel is well known by decades and is solved by every aircraft construction bureau long time ago...

I recommend to check all FC-3 aircraft and MiG-21 fot this issue.

Edited by 303_Vins

Your tracks are locked.

Btw, tried to reproduce, it doesn't work. NWS (LALT + Q by default) does nothing in my F-15.

Pretty sure its holding the S key for NWS in the F-15 unless I changed my default bindings (which I do occasionally).

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Pretty sure its holding the S key for NWS in the F-15 unless I changed my default bindings (which I do occasionally).

S key is NWS Gain.

Anyway, you need to hold LALT + Q to turn off NWS. In the past, it unlocked nose wheel so it would caster freely. Now it has some shimmy effect.

Not a big deal since no one really use the feature.

This is how it worked in 2014:

Edited by =4c=Nikola

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

Not a big deal since no one really use the feature.

There are some corners in taxi ways that have to use the higher gain of NWS.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 2 months later...

AFAIK, when on the ground, there is a certain range of speed in which the nose wheel should be kept free to steer like a wheel of a shopping cart because in that range the aerodynamic control surfaces are effective and so there could be a mismatch between the direction that the aircraft would follow according to the nose wheel and the one it would follow according to the rudder.

For an aircraft like the F15, this range could possibly be something like from 70 kts to takeoff, I think.

So when you takeoff at the beginning you supposedly keep the aircraft straight using the nose wheel up to say 70 kts and then you disengage NWS and use the rudders only; vice versa, when you land you initially use the rudders and then turn on NWS at 70 kts and use it until you stop.

In DCS, the NWS disengagement in the F15 works by keeping a button pressed: it's not an on/of toggle. If you disengage NWS either during takeoffs and landing you will blow a tyre; unless I'm doing something wrong, it must be a bug. I've attached a track file.

NWS.trk

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

After lock NWS, when faster than 60 kts nose wheel going shimmy vibrations.

Amplitude of vibration growing until tire damage, After that, nose gear breaks.

all situations: taxing, tKOFF, landing.

-----It's true. I found and got sick of it as a beginner. Then I never disengage the NWS during taking off or landing, all work well especially if your stick has a axis wheel brake like the VKB's.

I might have missed it the first time at post #7 but of course the NWS locking (LAlt+Q) in the F-15C is not used for normal operations. Described behavior is nevertheless a bug. Here is a track.

F-15C NWS lock.trk

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria