ASP Glass Questions and Comments

corn322

Viewing the images of photos and renders of the ASP from this thread https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=216478 I had some thoughts and questions:

Is it just me or is the aspect ratio of the glass different in the game?

attachment.php?attachmentid=190721&stc=1&d=1532565232

The sight reticles bleed past the end of the glass lower edge and over the range scale marks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=190725&stc=1&d=1532565327

Shouldn't the reflection of the combiner lens appear on the same plane as the reticles, and not attached to the surface of the glass?

attachment.php?attachmentid=190724&stc=1&d=1532565327

275256800_ratiomontage.thumb.jpg.728dc7114b5f51067c3fe7195861af98.jpg

17836914_angleshot.thumb.jpg.4c3a8725bb9ca03864298bb3eaa19147.jpg

734476908_gunsightbleed.thumb.jpg.2ed90cd9fc769200d84e8719ee4f2a9e.jpg

No, the image of the equipment as viewed through the reflection should appear the same as if you replaced the angled glass with a ordinary mirror. The reflection is at an optical distance of a meter or two, whatever the path distance is from eye to equipment. The reticle is optically hundreds if not thousands of meters away. The image of the equipment reflected in the glass should be of the portion left of center per the natural geometry of the reflected ray in the same way that moving your head to the right shows more of the left image as reflected in a mirror. Essentially the image should be in the vertical plane beyond the angled glass maybe 10-20cm, whatever is the distance downward from the angled glass to the horizontal equipment surface. This distance is more for the upper portion of the glass than the lower and the image would appear to skew more at the top than bottom.

The draw order is wrong on the reticle relative to the range scale.

The aspect ratio looks weird because of the rectilinear mapping and the compression of the view port hFOV to the natural hFOV of your monitor.

That is exactly what I wrote in the other thread. © Bogey Jammer

Anyway all the optical effects can't be rendered realistically and the cockpit maker apparently had to make compromises.

Edited by Bogey Jammer

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

anyway, shouldn't the image be not visible in the last picture?

since the reflection cannot go beyond the lense borders ?

The reflection of the equipment can because it's just a reflection. The columnated image should be constrained to the footprint of the columnated image onto the combiner glass which is not the same as the reflected image of the lens equipment.