April in the land of VEAO - Wall of text inc!

Hi Guys,

I thought that I would give you a bit of an update on the happens within our team and what is currently going on.

Its been a little while since I posted any king of lengthy update so I'll go through things that I have on my desk right now and what is coming next and a rough order, although as always these things are subject to change, but as of now this is how they stand.

First off lets talk Hawk, the taxi/wind/aoa bug has been haunting us for a little while and we had difficulty in both replication and identification of the bug. It would take longer than I have now to go into details of exactly what was causing the issue but the head line is that because of the methodology that we use for the FM on the Hawk there are several non scripted dependencies and one of these was returning a NaN, we have had these kind of problems before and have built in protection from such behavior, however a side effect was that because the redundancy was taking over there was a small error and it took us a while to track it down.

Long story short - we found it and we have fixed it, the fix will go out with the next patch from ED.

We have also been working on some of the external PBR textures and the internal cockpit PBR update, the external work has been completed and will, like the taxi fix, go out in the next patch. Chris and the guys are working hard on the PBR cockpit update and while it may go out in the next update it also may miss, depending on when the next patch hits I can't make promises on that one yet. There are other fixes included in the update as well and they will be detailed in brief in the patch notes.

Work is also underway on restructuring and coming to grips with Hawk 2.0 (note not Hawk T2) and we have been working away on that as well, this is quite a major overhaul of the systems of the Hawk, mainly on back end code, and will enable us to continue to update and support Hawk far into the future with less regressive adjustment on legacy code. Things that are currently in the works is pretty much everything and something I have taken a note of is the hydraulic jitter issue that we have seen previously, this will not transfer over to 2.0.

I know the next question is "WHEN man WHEN!" well as soon as we possibly can, because this is a major update to the code base for the Hawk it does take time and largely incompatible with the current base as it is being written 6 years after the original and alot has changed in DCS since then. I will be on the lookout for a handful of guys who are interested in some testing as/when this becomes available, so keep an eye on the forum and facecbook for details if you want early access and most importantly to help us get a complete and fully functioning Hawk done as soon as we possibly can.

In other Hawk news Tim Davies has been continuing to work with us on all aspects of the T1A, as you may know Tim is an extremely experienced Hawk pilot and he along with our other pilots are taking even more interest in fine tuning some of the behaviors, especially in the FM. The first round of changes to that will also go out to you with the next DCS patch. I can't say too much right now but there will also be some content coming directly from Tim on our Hawk in the future as well, including some in game content you can download and try yourself! So keep your eyes peeled!

OK, so what about P-40 then?

Well work has been a bit up and down as we had to divert a lot of resources to the Hawk to hunt down and squish the taxi bug, now that this has been completed we have returned some of our teams focus back to P-40.

P-40F's systems are nearing completion and are probably about 90% complete and there are some minor things that need work on and behaviors that we will continue to work on until we get the module to ED.

The FM is flying really well and I was hoping to get a livestream done this week but the day job has been keeping me busy, maybe next weekend if I get chance. We have a couple of dedicated testers who have the most boring job in the world doing flight tests for us and gathering data for analysis, climb tests, glide tests, roll tests, turn tests, stalling and all sorts of things. It would be unfair for me not to acknowledge their efforts and the hours then spend flying up and down the maps gathering data.

The external textures have been finished and the internals are getting there quite rapidly, You will be able to see those when I get chance to do the livestream.

I know that you will enjoy the fidelity that we have put into all the systems of the P-40, each and every system will work as per the real aircraft, a testament to the assistance provided by The Fighter Collection and the engineers that have helped us with our hundreds of questions about the aircraft and its weakness' and strengths. We have even included some specific undocumented but common faults with P-40' that we have been briefed on by numerous pilots and engineers. Things to watch out for in the future! I won't go into detail on them now as I think part of the fun will be when things go wrong and the process of eliminating possibilities to try and diagnose the problem, I am expecting alot of bug reports that are actually features :pilotfly:

Our sound recording session I eluded to at the end of last year went well and I wholeheartedly believe that the P-40 sounds amazing with each and every switch getting its own private recording session.

I was fortunate enough to be given some pilots diaries from the war for the P-40 and they contain enough detail for us to be able to make a campaign based on a real pilots diary. One of our team has stood up and said that he will make a campaign based on these and I am pleased to confirm that I have permission, when the campaign is ready, to include exerts from these diaries with the module. I am going to see if I can get them voiced as well, so you will have the opportunity to fly realistic, historical missions with a brief based on or containing content from a real life pilots experience. I personally can't wait for that.

Over the next few weeks I will try and get a live stream done with P-40F and show you how she is coming along, When I can setup a time for this I will put it in the usual places and get a recording for those of you who can't attend. Updates for Hawk are with ED and will go out in the next round of patching as well.

As for when P-40 will be in your hands, the honest answer is simply as soon as we can sure we have squashed as many bugs as we can find and are confident that we have her in a good place for beta and more widespread testing to start.

Until next time everyone, all the best

Pman

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Pman, great to hear from you guys again! Unfortunately neither the Hawk nor the P-40 as an aircraft is of particular interest to me, but I might get around to buy the P-40 anyways, because of this:

I know that you will enjoy the fidelity that we have put into all the systems of the P-40, each and every system will work as per the real aircraft, a testament to the assistance provided by The Fighter Collection and the engineers that have helped us with our hundreds of questions about the aircraft and its weakness' and strengths. We have even included some specific undocumented but common faults with P-40' that we have been briefed on by numerous pilots and engineers. Things to watch out for in the future! I won't go into detail on them now as I think part of the fun will be when things go wrong and the process of eliminating possibilities to try and diagnose the problem, I am expecting alot of bug reports that are actually features pilotfly.gif

I really like that and what I've seen about the hydraulics modeling in previous updates/previews. Keep up the good work and I still hope you will eventually get around to eventually make an aircraft for DCS some day, that I'm interested in as well (Tiffy!) :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

thank you sir for this update. Pman, can you tell us a bit about the spitfire?

Sure, We have the art pack almost complete with external and internal textures almost finished and the model complete. We have some more integration work to do and it is in the early stages of code base implementation. More work will be dedicated to it while the P-40 is in beta.

Pman

Sure, We have the art pack almost complete with external and internal textures almost finished and the model complete. We have some more integration work to do and it is in the early stages of code base implementation. More work will be dedicated to it while the P-40 is in beta.Pman

Well, well, well . . this is news I WILL be following.

I'm hesistant about the P-40, given the opposition it is likely to be up against... however the Spit Mk14 will be an excellent fit for the current DCS WW2 lineup.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Last Time I see in the P-40 in Action that was in Duxford, still have my dusty Coupon here that is probably long Time ago Expired huh.gif

But still want to hopefully soon have some Fun with the P-40..

Looking forward to give it a Spin..

Nice update thx

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Last Time I see in the P-40 in Action that was in Duxford, still have my dusty Coupon here that is probably long Time ago Expired huh.gif

But still want to hopefully soon have some Fun with the P-40..

Looking forward to give it a Spin..

Nice update thx

Take a photo of it if you have it and email it to the support email and we will take care of you :)

Pman

Sure, We have the art pack almost complete with external and internal textures almost finished and the model complete. We have some more integration work to do and it is in the early stages of code base implementation. More work will be dedicated to it while the P-40 is in beta.

Pman

Oh, you're still working on the Spitfire? I thought work on all modules except the Hawk and the Kittyhawk has been terminated. That's great to hear!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Oh, you're still working on the Spitfire? I thought work on all modules except the Hawk and the Kittyhawk has been terminated. That's great to hear!

Work continues :)

We are just more focused on those two for the time being :thumbup:

Pman

Pman

thank you sir, nice to read

Thanks a lot for the update, I look forward to Hawk 2.0 :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Fantastic news. I am really eager to get into the Hawk, again. This is indeed a great update.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I really missed the HAWK so the HAWK 2.0 version really appeals, How much will it be ?

Mizzy

As far as I know it is just an overhaul/update that is replacing the old code base of the original Hawk.

It should still be free of charge.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I really missed the HAWK so the HAWK 2.0 version really appeals, How much will it be ?

Mizzy

As far as I know it is just an overhaul/update that is replacing the old code base of the original Hawk.

It should still be free of charge.

as Above - it will be a free update

Pman

as Above - it will be a free update

Pman

Mint, I bought the Hawk ages ago so free update !! Sorry for my harsh words but I just felt really upset. Anyway good luck and may the Hawk fly again, lovely little airplane.

Mizzy

Edited by Mizzy
There is still hope for this project and I hope that in the end, it turns out well, the key points being delivered like the EFM and textures will be nice. Hope to see more damage effects on this soon too! :)
Just to point out. The Hawk even now has EFM since years! They just want to redo it, because its basics were developed even before DCS 1.5 and it gets more and more complicated to fix and troubleshoot the old FM code.

If I remember correct, the Hawk was the first 3rd party module, besides Belsimtek, to have an EFM.

Edit - or second, not sure about the MiG-21 early access release date. :dunno:

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Nice to see the 2.0 of the Hawk and how does make it fly like...

One thing that always was odd to me was that Hawk always felt like a paperplane, so it "didn't have a mass". Maybe because the sound effects or the agility etc. But it just was so "light" and "paper kind plane". Difficult to put finger on it.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The problem with the communities understanding of EFM, PFM ,AFM AFM+ or PMT but not in my case, I'm in the menopause, is none of us have ever been in a military aircraft or very few! So it comes down to bullshit when we simmers say 'the flight model is like a paper plane' ! Well I have never flown a 'paper plane' so I cannot comment on that. All I can say is the HAWK had a flight model that was not the SFM version but knowing how difficult it must be to programme an AFM or EFM but not the PMT, I held great faith in VEAO doing the HAWK to professional standards. I now have faith ....AGAIN !! Best speed VEAO and may the wind take your arse in the right course this time.. Welcome back to DCS !

Mizzy