Essay, PART 2: Getting the tail up... - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #11
Friedrich-4/B

Default clip not working

Thanks once again Chief, for a great, easy to understand essay. A couple of questions:

Watching this clip, the pilot started lifting the tail very early in the take-off (from c. 2:25 on) - is this about right, or would a more heavily loaded wartime Spitfire need more time before lifting the tail?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iEpnl5g-s8

How much of an effect does the airfield surface have on the take-off?

Last edited by Friedrich-4/B; 12-19-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Friedrich-4/B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #12
Ala13_ManOWar

Great reading, and again so easily and plainly explained. Worth the reading people, don't miss it.

Thank you!
Old 12-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #13
Outlaw24

Send a message via ICQ to Outlaw24

Great job enjoyed the read, really looking forward to your essay on landing, Thanks!
MSI Z-97 Gaming 7, i7 4790K @ 4.4, Noctua NH-U12S, 32GB Corsair Vengeance, MSI GTX 1080ti, Trustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Pro, MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind Pedals, UTC MK II Pro, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, SSD 512GB 850 Pro (DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Windows 10.
Outlaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:27 PM   #14
Euan Emblin

Solidly written and very instructional, thank you very much. This is just what we need, so please let's have more of it.

These essays are very helpful indeed.
Euan Emblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #15
Chief Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich-4/B View Post
Thanks once again Chief, for a great, easy to understand essay. A couple of questions:

Watching this clip, the pilot started lifting the tail very early in the take-off (from c. 2:25 on) - is this about right, or would a more heavily loaded wartime Spitfire need more time before lifting the tail?

How much of an effect does the airfield surface have on the take-off?
Hi Friedrich-4/B,

Your video link isn't working for me but... There is no right or wrong time to lift the tail. My advice is to lift it as soon as you have enough stabiliser authority to do so. If you can raise the tail, then that's a good time! There's a trick you can do in some high performance aerobatic tail draggers such as an Extra or Edge where you can hold the aircraft stationary on the brakes and lift the tail with the prop slipstream alone. Not very useful but a good demonstration of how the propwash affects the authority of the tail surfaces!

Ground surface has a big effect on controlability. Smooth grass tends to be the easiest because the main wheels can slip a little, allowing greater forgiveness when it comes to lateral interactions between the gear and the ground. Dry tarmac is the trickiest because higher grip levels translate every sideways force back to the airframe. Having said that, the high grip surfaces allow for much more accurate control, provided you know what you're doing. Training new pilots is often best done on the grass to build confidence, then progressing to hard surfaces once they have the right picture and feel. Does that answer your questions?

Best wishes,

CFI
RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Water Cooler
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 @ 850W
Storage: SSD x5 Various makes & Models
Input: TM HOTAS WH
Output: Samsung 40" LED TV
VR: Oculus Rift CV1
Audio: Realtek + LG 5.1 Home cinema + Astro A40

Last edited by Chief Instructor; 12-19-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Chief Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:59 PM   #16
Friedrich-4/B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Instructor View Post
Hi Friedrich-4/B,

Your video link isn't working for me but... There is no right or wrong time to lift the tail. My advice is to lift it as soon as you have enough stabiliser authority to do so. If you can raise the tail, then that's a good time! There's a trick you can do in some high performance aerobatic tail draggers such as an Extra or Edge where you can hold the aircraft stationary on the brakes and lift the tail with the prop slipstream alone. Not very useful but a good demonstration of how the propwash affects the authority of the tail surfaces!

Ground surface has a big effect on controlability. Smooth grass tends to be the easiest because the main wheels can slip a little, allowing greater forgiveness when it comes to lateral interactions between the gear and the ground. Dry tarmac is the trickiest because higher grip levels translate every sideways force back to the airframe. Having said that, the high grip surfaces allow for much more accurate control, provided you know what you're doing. Training new pilots is often best done on the grass to build confidence, then progressing to hard surfaces once they have the right picture and feel. Does that answer your questions?

Best wishes,

CFI
Cheers! You gotta respect the wartime pilots who flew from all sorts of surfaces, often in adverse weather conditions, carrying all sorts of loads.

(Meantime, I'm struggling to get a simple youtube link working...*sigh*)
Friedrich-4/B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:36 AM   #17
Kozmyk

More excellent info.
Thank you Chief Instructor
OS:Win10 Home CPU:i7 3770K 3.5(@4.3GHz) COOLER:ZalmanCNPS10X-PERFORMA MOBO:GigabyteGA-Z77X-UD5H SSD#1:SamsungEVO850Pro 500GB SSD#2:SanDisk240GB HDD:2x Seagate2TB GFX:GigabyteGTX670 WF3 2GB OC1058MHz RAM:16GB 16000MHz DDR3 KEYB'Ds:Corsair K95/MS SidewinderX4 MOUSE:LogitechG700s MON:2x ASUS 24” ROUTER:ASUS RT-N66U DarkKnight INTERWEBS:Fibre152Mbps/12Mbps JOYSTICK:TM T16000m Modded THROTTLE:TM TWCS HEADTRACK:TrackIR5Pro
Kozmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:34 AM   #18
Bullitthead

Great, now I gotta relearn my takeoff procedure. Thank you for the information!
Bullitthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:46 AM   #19
humptydumpty

If i get the tail up during the take off run i hit the prop i try to trim the nose heavy but i just can't get over the rocking wings.

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC
humptydumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:28 AM   #20
David OC

I could not find something like a trolley to prop the tail up onto.
Had to improvise a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S983pkvMdyE
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote