Typhoon vs. FC3 fighters and F-18C

Your sources state that the Typhoon has pretty minor issue with regards to the manufacturing problem. It says in the article that the problem is very minor and doesn't affect RAF service at all. In fact it doesn't cause any performance or safety issues. I haven't heard of any Typhoons crashing or failing in flight. I think that it's a very well designed and reliable aircraft from everything I've read over the years. And remember that it's a very new aircraft. Most new designs go through many years of design and update changes to correct problems.

Also, the second article states in several places that the Indian air force has a long history of embellishing their performance in combat practice. You can even go as far to state that their claims are laughable. I would like to see some other results from another joint exercise since their results are extremely questionable. And, I'm also a little suspicious of results that don't come from official sources. The commanders in another article I read stated that they don't discuss results of these exercises. I think that's for obvious reasons.

Edited by 75th-VFS-Striker

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The euro fighter is not as great as everyone would think..

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/indian-air-forces-top-guns-score-wins-in-the-uk-1204336?site=full

Lol

If you read that article carefully it's very clear that the group captain is being careful in the way he states the results.

In an exclusive interview, Group Captain Ashu Srivastav, the Contingent Commander in the exercises, told NDTV that the performance of his pilots was "exceptional." According to Group Captain Srivastav, who happens to be the IAF's most experienced Su-30 pilot, his pilots showed "flexibility and adaptability to a new environment and operating conditions and on this benchmark, I would rate them exceptional."
He also says this later in the article.

Asked about the performance of IAF pilots in these Large Force Engagements, Group Captain Srivastav told NDTV his pilots performed "fairly well" though "quantifying [the results] is difficult". It was not unexpected for the IAF to "lose" one or two jets (over all the Large Force Engagements put together) given that the movement of each formation was directed by fighter controllers coordinating an overall air battle.
So it looks like he's backtracking his original statement.

It doesn't say anything about the official results and again I have to say that it's very much classified. I wouldn't assume anything about the performance of either the IAF or the RAF because you just don't know. And I still say anything coming from some Indian news network is mostly propaganda.

I don't know anything about the performance of the EF in mocked or real conflict with Russian or American aircraft in close range so I wouldn't want to speculate on that issue but I would bet that in BVR combat that the EF is superior to the Su-30 because of the advanced avionics. And after they implement the Meteor missile it will be even more so mainly because of the 100km range of the Meteor compared to the published 52km range of the R-27.

Now if the Russians can get the K-100 to work since it's been plagued with development issues that may be a game changer. From what I've read they've done testing on the Su-27 but it hasn't been successful or at least they haven't published that it was.

In real life BVR is where it counts and dogfights are rare and the Western developers have held that edge for a long time. So if I were a real life fighter pilot I would bet my chances on the EF over a Sukhoi any day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_%28missile%29

Edited by 75th-VFS-Striker

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Show any video, any, of a western fighter doing this maneuvers:

Airshow maneuvers are unimportant. The Su-27 like the F-15, is a transonic fighter. They didn't plan to see supersonic fight outside of quick dashes. The EF can supercruise and is probably designed to take advantage of that. At high speed it will likely outperform any Su-27 derivative.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 3 weeks later...

Little side hit to the Raptor fanboys ;-) I read a report in which the eurofighter had a 1 - 1 loss ratio with the F22s from the air force ;-)

Maybe that gives some hint to the capabilities of that plane.

If it was the German airforce making those comments, i'd take them with a grain of salt. They handled that whole exercise like a bunch of children.
If it was the German airforce making those comments, i'd take them with a grain of salt. They handled that whole exercise like a bunch of children.

You made me curious. I would like to know more about that.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Somebody here made some points about the Typhoon-Rafale matchup, which IMHO is fairly irrelevant as both have been designed with different idea's in mind. and most of the bad press the Rafale gets is a bit undeserved.

(for example http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/rafale-can-be-shot-down-like-mosquitoes-by-chinese-made-sukhoi-russian-envoy-114101800712_1.html )

However, fortunately, over the years, some of the tenders have been leaked, and those provide an interesting insight in how the military thinks about them.

The first is the swiss tender of 2008

Phase I

Swiss_eval_NWA1.png

Swiss_eval_NWA1_appreciations.png

Phase II, 2009

Swiss_eval_NWA2.png

Swiss_eval_NWA2_appreciations.png

Swiss_eval_AP1.png

Original Swiss document

http://lignesdedefense.blogs.ouest-france.fr/files/rapport%20suisse.pdf

Dutch Tender, 2001

DUTCHEVALUATIONREPORT1.jpg

AvionJSFAnalysMd-Nrc080909-copie-1.jpg

(supplied by the Dutch budgeting office and the MoD)

but IMHO any debate over which one is better is pretty much irrelevant, as they have been designed for very different things from the ground up.

the Rafale was intended as a replacement for the F-8(FN), Super Etenard and 7 other types of aircraft in service with the french navy, later on, they expanded its requirements into replacement of the Mirages that the AdA had in service as well.

As such, it can do anything from A2A to precision groundbombing to Carrying cruise missiles, APACHE missiles, Excocets, SEAD and is an integral part to the French Force de Frappe.

the second thing is, people tend to forget the Rafale's software has been designed with that idea in mind. (and i am a big fan of the datalinking the Rafale has)

The fact its french is both a good thing and a bad thing.

Its good since the French are known to be reliable suppliers of high quality military hardware, and as such, unless you are directly interfering with French interests, you are pretty much set to get your items regardless of what is happenning. (its part of why India went with the Rafale over the Typhoon, given that the French have, since the 60s been important suppliers to India, even during conflict (Kargill is the most recent one IIRC). The downside is that since its completely French, getting spares from anywhere except France is hard, and tends to drive the price up as well. (even though it ain't shoddy goods)

For the Phoon, its been designed initially as an interceptor (and that is the reason the French dropped out of the programme). And while it later has gotten more diversification in its roles, its still a bit limited. (IIRC in libya, it needed Tornado's to buddy laser for it), and as such, even though later blocs might rectify this, the same can be said of the Rafale.

No, A2A is the place where the Typhoon shines, it has a top notch HMD, it can supercruise, (most can, but its faster then both the Rafale and F-35 in that aspect, is adequately fast, and carries sufficient payload for it, and its coupled with a powerful radar.

The great thing on the supply side is that it mostly uses US kit for weapons, which is a good thing since the US is nearly everywhere.

So in the end, it isn't the question of which one is better. The question is which one is better suited to any mission it must undertake. The Rafale is more versatile, but the Phoon is better in certain area's and makes concessions to that in others.

Dont forget the political tally in all this. One if the reason the Dutch chose that awfully expensive JSF is the counter orders Holland will receive once we get the plane.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Our government (Belgian) has to decide next year between the Super Hornet, Eurofighter, Rafale, Gripen and F35.

Knowing about some military events in our country being 'accidentaly' sponsored by Lockheed Martin, I wonder what their choice will be :-S

Damn Lobby

Edited by Davy_Flament

Davy 'Bad Karma' Flament.

AMD Phenom X4 965, 10Gb RAM, XFX HD7970 3gb, HOTAS Warthog.

• 5 weeks later...

Guys that graph is from the early 90s and based on simulations. Shouldn't be taken to seriously as the threat aircraft was an upgraded Su-27 similar to the old Su-35 (Su-27M) and as most of the types in the evaluation were still in development. The data base for that simulation had to cope with these limitations. Overall it's certainly not representative.

I'm glad I started this thread, it makes for a very good read! Keep it up guys it's all still very interesting. :thumbup:

Also, for mission ideas for the future, I think an outnumbered all-Typhoon air defense against mixed forces (of a bunch of other types of planes) strategic bombing attempts with A-A cover would make for a fun Multiplayer mission. It would have to be very cooperative and organized though, maybe a Red Flag event or something.

Example:

Pure Typhoon team

VS.

Mig-21's + M2000's + F-18's doing the strikes and self-defense,

with mixed SU-27's + F-15's + F-18's providing A-A cover

• Like 1
I have seen no fighter in youtube or any air shows, making the maneuvers that SU-35 and the Russian fighters do, show me only one video of EFT and I will show you thousands of russian planes doing better

You are quite right no one could show you a video of any western fighter doing those insanely dangerous maneuvers, but i can show you plenty of videos showing them crashing when performing maneuvers like that, and i would bet there are only a handful of Russian pilots that can carry out such maneuvers.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit