Spitfire Start-up - Page 12 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #111
bongodriver

Use the mouse to click open/close the covers and assign keyboard buttons to the start and boost, it couldn't be simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
Sure, Sokol1.
There are workarounds.

I don't understand the need for electrical signals to lift a cover, when this is machanical in its nature.
how is the computer supposed to know you have opened your sim pit mechanical cover without an electrical signal to tell it so?
Old 12-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #112
Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
how is the computer supposed to know you have opened your sim pit mechanical cover without an electrical signal to tell it so?
That's my point!

Why does the computer need to know the cover is open?
It's not like the engine knows the cover is open, on the starter button of the real aircraft...

Opening and closing the cover is just a consequense of pressing the button.

It makes sense to do it in the virtual cockpit, but when you use an external controller it becomes complicated.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #113
bongodriver

I don't understand your point. in the real aircraft the covers must be manually opened to gain access to the buttons, this is being simulated in the software, in order to physically control that function in a sim-pit there must be an electronic switch to tell the computer the cover has been opened and that function must be assignable in the software.

without opening the cover there is no pressing the button so the opening and closing is not a consequence at all but a necessity.

Not sure I'd be wasting assignments on a HOTAS controller for mundane functions like start buttons anyway, you are sat on the ground with all the time in the world to open and close covers and clickable pits spare you from the problem of assigning functions anyway.

Last edited by bongodriver; 12-06-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #114
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
Quote:
I don't understand the need for electrical signals to lift a cover, when this is machanical in its nature.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
That's my point!
Why does the computer need to know the cover is open?
It's not like the engine knows the cover is open, on the starter button of the real aircraft...

Opening and closing the cover is just a consequense of pressing the button.

It makes sense to do it in the virtual cockpit, but when you use an external controller it becomes complicated.
Well, you guys really don't understand my point of view - what is not novelty.

First, I am not asking for something new that will difficult the life of "CH Throttle" owners - just asking Spit Mk.IX the same options for commands in DCS P-51, for example.

Think, from pit builder perspective (I am not, but are "advocating" in their cause ), what is more "realistic":

Mouse click over the virtual cover for flip the up, or just press start switch in their pit and look the cover magically flip up and down in game?

Or:

Move the real cover up in his sim pit over - remember that I modified this cover to became a... switch - this action will send a electrical signal computer, Windows will press "RShift+Home" (in P-51 this key combo will flip over the cover in game cockpit) and the cover open in game, then press the switch under the cover, and after close their pit cover and game do the same.

Again, this result like click with mouse, or press keys or joy buttons in DCS P-51, just the sim pit guy did in a cool way.

What this guy did in their sim pit is indeed a mechanical action - like the real pilot Spit do - the "cover switch MOD" is for deal with computer games specifies.

"Opening and closing the cover is just a consequense of pressing the button."

No, open the cover is a pre-requisite for press the start button, unless you want a "game" approach - what can be achieved with macros.

Again, no new "difficult" is need be invented, just follow DCS P-51 standard.

Last edited by Sokol1_br; 12-06-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #115
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
Short answer:

Because I (as hypothetical ) sim pit builder, modify the "mechanical cover" in my sim pit to work like a ordinary switch, who will send electrical signal for computer so the game recognizes that "RCtrl+Home" (or whatever shortcut) has been pressed and move the 3D cockpit cover up, unlocking press the start switch.

This is called... "simulation" (yes, sound silly).

BTW - That "scared CH Throttle" owner just need press a button in their throttle.

This action will send a macro (e.g. RCTRL+HOME, RShift HOME, INSERT, PageUp, RCTRL+HOME, RShift HOME), the game flip over the covers over start and coil buttons, start the engine and flip down the covers when the button is released.

This is called... well... "play the game fast", after all in the end what matter is "guns, guns", and this is just a.. game.

And this conversation became what is called (there) "Tertulia flácida para acalentar bovinos".

Last edited by Sokol1_br; 12-06-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #116
bongodriver

it was a rhetorical question, I know how it works, I'm just surprised Goblin doesn't
Closed Thread