AI has some deadly tricks up a sleeve - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #11
<Blaze>

To be honest the game would be too dull without these random stuff that make you actually fall off the chair laughing when you realize what happened

How do you kill 2 flankers with 1 wing?

A good fighter pilot is either trying to get high or is already high!
<Blaze> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #12
Shadow KT

May be in that instance (as you know lag was mentioned), but it is entirely possible from what I understand. There were some comparisons, if you are in a slow a-10 the missile will actually overshoot you

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days
Shadow KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #13
<Blaze>

Maybe. I also saw a R-73 slaloming behind IronMike in SATAC..

I think the key factor is whether it has such target memory even IRL. In that scenario the seeker is definitely outside FoV limits. It might be a possibility to intercept to last known point like the slammer does in reality. This is especially applicable to my case where I was more or less in a steady high G pull so whatever was calculated initially is still fairly close to where the plane was when the missile came around.

How do you kill 2 flankers with 1 wing?

A good fighter pilot is either trying to get high or is already high!
<Blaze> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #14
red_coreSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Blaze> View Post
I think the key factor is whether it has such target memory even IRL. In that scenario the seeker is definitely outside FoV limits. It might be a possibility to intercept to last known point like the slammer does in reality.
Heaters generally don't have an INS so there really isn't a way to implement target memory, usually there is some mechanism by which the missile tries to reacquire after a lost lock but while that is happening inputs from the autopilot are usually ignored so the missile wouldn't maneuver.
red_coreSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:17 PM   #15
PeaceSells

Quote:
You've seen nothing until this happens to you:

https://youtu.be/s_cxnl2KNGM?t=10111

That R-73 was surely fired before you see it on your screen (due to ping, netcode, etc.). Which means that, although you see it coming out from your 3 o'clock, it probably came
more like from your 2 o'clock or something...
Core i7 4770 3.40GHz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 2GB, Intel DB85FL motherboard, ASUS VG248 monitor 144Hz 24" 16:9, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS and TFRP pedals, TrackHat Clip Kit, Razer Deathadder mouse @1000Hz @1000DPI, Windows 10 64bit
PeaceSells is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:49 AM   #16
bolek

Quote:
not to mention it was way within rMin considering the angle.
Not sure if this makes sense, but even tough the missile may have been fired inside rMin in a straight line, the distance it actually traveled may have been longer that rMin. And my understanding is that rMin is actually determined by the time the missile needs to arm itself, not the physical straight line distance?

But I am not arguing any FOV issues

Last edited by bolek; 01-20-2018 at 12:51 AM.
bolek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #17
GGTharos
Veteran

The R-73 has a 45 deg launch limit by default, but the seeker can slew to 75 degrees. Since the flanker is not ASM, I suppose that maybe, just maybe, the 73 can allow much higher off-bore shots with launch override than it ought to.

If you add a little lag to the situation, you might find out that the launch was in parameters on the shooter's side. A 3-9 launch, or a gimbal limit launch in this situation should be possible (the memory thing is probably a thing though). A lot of stars and planets have to line up to get this shot to work correctly.

Finally, I'll point out that the trajectory itself might not be shown correctly online.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is online now   Reply With Quote