New effects - Page 20 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #191
Aginor
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Topic is "New Effects" though
Please read the thread. I created it specifically to talk about about the gameplay aspects of the new effects and not necessarily about how they look.
Aginor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #192
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aginor View Post
Please read the thread. I created it specifically to talk about about the gameplay aspects of the new effects and not necessarily about how they look.
I share this sentiment. It is nice to have pretty smoke markers and smoke columns from burning stuff, but the tactical aspect - to obscure the view and hot smoke/IR-blocking smoke grenades as cover - is far more important to me and I guess a few others as well.
Fighting alongside AI or worse, against AI you often feel like a blind and deaf old man with impaired vision, until you realize, the AI did not "see" you but, did know you are there.
Normandy (the collidable trees blocking LOS) was the single most important step since about a decade in that direction. For me one of the very important "new effects" was not so much the better look of the trees, but making them collidable and the fact that the goddamn AI can't fire RPGs and AntiTankGuided Missiles through them anymore!
Suddenly an Attack Helicopter makes sense.
As much as I love the visuals of the new effects, I love seeing the tactical aspects of the surrounding terrain and world gets more real.

So a smoke effect, say WillyPete rockets, that at least is blocking LOS like a tree, would indeed be a great tactical asset and much appreciated.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.2GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat
TM HOTAS Warthog
custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |
a hand made UFC and an AHCP
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:18 PM   #193
Aginor
Veteran

Absolutely agree. The trees looking nice made me shrug and say "yeah nice", but they being finally real objects was exciting and I instantly hopped into a heli to try out a few things.
You can find such gameplay impacts for many effects. Seeing reflections on planes or being blinded by the sun should have an impact on spotting, clouds and fog and rain and snow and smoke as well.
Aginor is offline   Reply With Quote