Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Alpen, have you implemented some of the changes we spoke about in the past, in regards to Fight Island ?

Either increasing the number of T-72s, or another option is replacing them with something like a T-80. T-80 has the same shitty armor, but better sights and mobility. It can actually match the speed of the M1A2, which would eliminate the problem of BLUE always getting to Queshem first (well, at least in regards to their MBT. HUMWEs are going to yeet at around 160km/h still)

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Alpen, have you implemented some of the changes we spoke about in the past, in regards to Fight Island ?

Either increasing the number of T-72s, or another option is replacing them with something like a T-80. T-80 has the same shitty armor, but better sights and mobility. It can actually match the speed of the M1A2, which would eliminate the problem of BLUE always getting to Queshem first (well, at least in regards to their MBT. HUMWEs are going to yeet at around 160km/h still)

Yes. We have more T-72's than they have Abrams. Ratio -> T-72 : Abrams = 1.5 : 1

I know it's not much knowing how many shots the Abrams can withstand. And I'll see how the CTLD script responds to deploying T-80's (some units can't be deployed - script issue).

On a side note, the way the Red ground units were lost within 90 minutes was something unseen so far :P I always had units till the end of the mission and quite often won it even with less T-72's as it was the case before updating the mission.

Rushing like that in the open and going head on against Abrams is pointless as you know yourself which surprised me yesterday.

Every time we won Fight Island (or any other mission), we gained air superiority at some point and had Ka-50's destroying Abrams (Su-25's are not effective, which is why I added Su-25T's today to counter Blue's A-10's, Viggens and sometimes Harriers. Something I will do in any mission where I see suitable).

One night I had some success destroying 8 Abrams among other trucks. Yes, it took me 2 hours to do that but that's the way to do it, unless it's T-72's vs Merkava tanks or any other type of tanks than the Abrams.

Blue captured the airbase quickly because they had a Huey sneaking in with an Abrams. Something we always do with Mi-8's which are way faster but we had only 1 pilot who was struggling with his helicopter and flew in the wrong direction for quite a while to only then crash into the water.

Blue had constantly Huey's flying in. We barely Mi-8's doing the same.

Blue had constantly strikers (mainly the Viggen). We had 2-3 Ka-50's that were all jumped by F-5's every time. Same fate for the 2-3 Su-25's that flew at mission's start.

If you have noticed, I have ground operations included in many missions. And I observe the missions quite often. Every time a coalition wins is due to TEAMWORK! It's almost irrelevant what units they have. Combining helicopter operations with ground forces' operations is the major factor in winning any mission I have. The lack of teamwork in every mission is inevitable which is why I consider adding units here and there or resurrect the Su-25T for that matter.

Hope to see you tonight and maybe have better teamwork with everyone online.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

If you have noticed, I have ground operations included in many missions. And I observe the missions quite often. Every time a coalition wins is due to TEAMWORK! It's almost irrelevant what units they have. Combining helicopter operations with ground forces' operations is the major factor in winning any mission I have. The lack of teamwork in every mission is inevitable which is why I consider adding units here and there or resurrect the Su-25T for that matter.

100% agree. Whatever the side, teamwork is key. Having dedicated people to move ground forces and take control of them at the right time + transport helos bringing renforcements and then focus on air superiority once the objective is capped and needs defending is how this mission is usually won.

Switching modules during the mission depending on what's needed at a particular moment is the most enjoyable way to play on the server imho and it's good to see more and more players do so instead of focusing on CAP.

I'm amazed to see the server doing so well, the playercount these days is insane !

Combining helicopter operations with ground forces' operations is the major factor in winning any mission I have.

That's what I like most about your server. It simulates a complex battlefield, not just pointless dogfighting.

Too bad you ended "Hold the line" at the height of the battle last night, I understand there was something wrong with FARPs not switching sides? Did you find the bug?

RED did well in that battle. I'm not gonna whine or anything, but I think yesterday it showed what a good attack helicopter can do. RED had three KA-50s oblittering the BLUE FARPs, while BLUE only has the bugged Gazelle that currently can't even laserrange targets, not to mention the tremendous differences in capabilities between these two helicopters. I'm so looking forward to when the Hind replaces the KA-50 and the Kiowa the Gazelle.

Adding WWII units would mean people have to buy the WWII asset pack to play on the server, which will severely limit the number of players able to join.

Speaking of which...from the latest patch notes:

The following units have been made available free for all users:

• A-20G bomber
  • Flak 18
  • Bofors 40mm
  • Panzer IV
  • Sherman
  • Sd.Kfz.251
  • M2A1
  • Blitz 3.6-6700A
  • Bedford MWD

Maybe some Flak and Bofors in the missions now, Hanoi-style?

Jane-Fonda-was-at-the-pea-012.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=1937aefc7da3c102e1deabc9d93d51e9

Any chance for the server to catch up with todays update ?

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Server News:

Server's OFFLINE.

Today's DCS update screwed up the warehouses. No countermeasures for MiG-21's and no fuel tanks for MiG-21's to say the least.

Fixing the warehouses requires hours these days with all the restrictions I have.

I'll fix a mission quickly and put it online.

EDIT:

Server's back up! Currently one mission fixed. Can't promise the rest will follow tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Server News:

- The warehouses in all Persian Gulf missions have been fixed.

- The Su-25T has been added to multiple missions to counter Blue's A-10, Viggen and in some missions the Harrier.

- It doesn't look like Red is getting any strikers in the upcoming months/years so I'm forced to react.

Operation Fight Island:

- Mi-8's moved from Bandar Abbas to Havardaya airbase.

- The number of available slots of some aircraft has been reduced.

Operation The Desert Has Eyes:

- ALL aircraft are limited in numbers.

- Su25's and Su-25T's moved from Havardaya to Qeshm Island airbase.

- SA342Mistrals removed.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

- The warehouses in all Caucasus missions have been fixed.

Operation Open Range:

- ALL aircraft are limited in numbers.

- Su-25T's added.

NOTE:

Would help me a bit if you could spare some money for the server. Very much appreciated.

PayPal server donations at: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

- The warehouses in all missions in all maps have been fixed.

NOTE:

Would help me a bit if you could spare some money for the server. Very much appreciated.

PayPal server donations at: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Alpen there are some issues with beacons dropped by helos, as they simply don't work. Also F-14s Fighter to Fighter don't work. Not sure if its related. F2F works on Blueflag so I am not sure what possibly is an issue... F-14 manual says something like "As the ground crew set the two most significant bits to be the same for a flight automatically the link can only be used within the same flight currently." (http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#link-4a-c-data-link) so maybe its related with Mission Editor and Slots being in one flight?

Alpen there are some issues with beacons dropped by helos, as they simply don't work. Also F-14s Fighter to Fighter don't work. Not sure if its related. F2F works on Blueflag so I am not sure what possibly is an issue... F-14 manual says something like "As the ground crew set the two most significant bits to be the same for a flight automatically the link can only be used within the same flight currently." (http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#link-4a-c-data-link) so maybe its related with Mission Editor and Slots being in one flight?

The beacons don't work properly in the CTLD script. That's an old known issue.

As to the Tomcats, well, I don't own the plane so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong in the ME. Someone who has the module will have to look that up.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Thank you for kicking me out because "i was not on SRS". I am ALWAYS on SRS for god sake!!!. My radio was damaged in F5 attack so i redirected to nearest farp. That is why i did not answer BECAUSE MY RADIO WAS DOWN!!! So thank you very much for that. And no, i can not fly damaged ka50 with no autopilots and type on chat, especialy in VR.

• Like 2

ROSS was in the SRS, but we don't speak English. We have a Russian-speaking community.

Some pilots can answer the request, others can understand but can't answer, and some don't understand English at all.

For example, I do not speak English, but I understand a lot, my answers are clumsy, it is easier for me to guide my pilots in my native language by adjusting common strategic tasks with the "headquarters" through an interpreter. You can't respond to requests instantly.

There were lags on the Syrian map, and on the map the su-25 marks were on the runway, although in fact they were already over the target. At the same time, they saw the destroyed equipment and the smoke that we put up, rarely did they see flying MiGs that tried to cover them. Someone's ground units are flying and twitching. I tried to organize all of this, but it was always the members of the kiks team.

It was disgusting today.

The SRS created and configured everything...

If ColdWar is intended only for English-speaking pilots, write this in the server name so that we don't go in and spoil the game.

If this is not the case, then let's solve the issue gradually, and not by kicking. Let's translate the briefing and rules so that they become clear to the majority.

I invited my friends to fly to Coldwar today, and the result was some trash...

• Like 1

Thank you for kicking me out because "i was not on SRS". I am ALWAYS on SRS for god sake!!!. My radio was damaged in F5 attack so i redirected to nearest farp. That is why i did not answer BECAUSE MY RADIO WAS DOWN!!! So thank you very much for that. And no, i can not fly damaged ka50 with no autopilots and type on chat, especialy in VR.

Wow.. bit harsh.

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The_TAU The beacon works for the helicopter dropping the beacon, once you get a new bird, it fails to work.Just do what you did in game, call me and ask for directions. Thanks for the help with the helo's tonight...

When I started this server I was hoping to establish things that I was missing on many other servers; Mainly teamwork! And this can only be done if comms are available and used for that matter.

I pretty much loved the concept behind BlueFlag which was the first of its kind back in the day and wished for the same but for the good old aircraft while focusing on the MiG-21 and F-5 mainly. I ended up asking here and there and offering my ideas to some of the big servers back then but they were all dedicated to their own thing which is totally understandable. So I realised that I've got to do it myself if I'm missing what I'm looking for in the world of DCS. In other words, they all run their servers the way they want and if I want my own thing then I've got to do it myself.

Fair enough.

It's up to each and everyone how they approach DCS. You can make a "warthunderish" thing out of it and be all in an arcade mode about it. Or you could treat it as a simulator. There is no right or wrong. You do it your way to have FUN which is why we're all here in the first place.

When it comes to me however, I'm all about the latter which is getting the maximum out of this simulator. The very reason why I never used the F10 map as a navigation tool all these years. No external views. Limited weapons and as of late limited aircraft numbers. Every mission has its briefing and a story line to help players understand what's going on. Briefing images included. Messages appearing on your screen to help understand a thing or two. I'm even responding to some of the questions while flying myself if someone's lost or having a hard time understanding something. And I'm always encouraging people to use SRS and/or TS. That doesn't mean you get on SRS, change the freq. or mute your microphone just to say I'm on comms. But actually use it. In other words, I'm trying to have my own thing and EVERYONE who shares the same passion about these old aircraft is welcome. And I had to make a choice there. "Everyone is welcome" would mean lack of communications due to language barriers. So maybe limit it to English speakers only? I'd hate to do the latter which is why I never gave it a try knowing it might be an obstacle while trying to achieve what I'm after. So the answer to that was trying to design missions in a way that players can still have fun even if teamwork is not really available or at all, while making it clear that comms are important (hence the messages reminding players of that every hour) to get the maximum out of the teamwork. Why? Because I'm trying to simulate battlefields where it's really dependent on each and every type of aircraft and ground vehicle. Otherwise, why drive a tank or give ground units waypoints? Why fly a transport helicopter for quite a while to only deploy something? Why strike a certain TA when everyone else's having fun dogfighting each other? So I create the missions in a way to give players the incentive to fly any available aircraft or control ground units.

So here comes the dilemma as mentioned above: Not everyone speaks/understands English. I know that. And it's always been a riddle that I'm trying to solve so we all can get along. But surely it's obvious that having small groups within a big one with each group of players doing their own thing completely renders you unaware of what others are doing. Now, if it's all about teamwork and the way the missions are designed is dependent on that to a certain extent (not entirely as mentioned above - or at least I'm trying to get there) then surely approaching the missions otherwise would only result in chaos.

I don't mind someone being on comms but not really talkative. I don't mind someone using JTAC as a GCI operator for his own group which is the case already. I don't mind people not really being part of the team as they just want to have a bit of fun before they call it a night. I don't mind any of that and it's been like that for years. However, tonight's session and the way players were doing their thing reached the peak. While I was trying to do GCI and control the ground units I was able to see Red players flying in any way but according to the briefing like never before. As you know all aircraft are limited in numbers. And watching all these Red players always flying over enemy SAM areas made me stop controlling ground units for a while to help guide them properly. Out of 22 Red players 4 were on comms. So I started typing in the chat MULTIPLE times that they should get on SRS and some did. And I typed that for both Red and Blue very often. I was also (through the Combined Arms) spotting enemy ground units and marking them with smoke for Ka-50 and striker pilots to see. Those who were on comms were quite often asking me to send help and the help was right next to them but not on comms. As to you Tolovaj, the second you took off I was trying to contact you via SRS and teamchat. I had marked multiple enemy AA's and they all just needed you to get there and destroy them. Turned out you were flying north instead so I started working on the northern front while still trying to contact you on both SRS and teamchat. So there were no autopilot or F-5's damaging your radio issues, mate. And then watching all these MiG's flying in your area and getting shot down by enemy AA's that I had marked already left me with no other choice but to kick you out of the server. Why? Because it was really the last resort I had to get your attention. Same thing with other players of which some were mainly kicked due to repetitive teamkilling.

As to the ROSS players. One of the server's rules (included as a briefing image in EVERY mission) is that using cmdr and JTAC requires being on comms. That doesn't mean you have to chitchat all the time or provide GCI for all. You can do your own thing with your squadron in your own language and you should while maybe using a different freq. to avoid confusion on the main one. However, if you're going to start controlling ground forces then you'll have to get in touch with other operators who are doing that already. Tonight I was assigning waypoints for all units to then find out that Berry was giving them different ones or driving them around in the open. I told him multiple times to get in touch with me. He could run the northern tanks if he wants and me the southern ones to help each other a bit. I'm not sure if he understood that so again he was doing that on his own. Then I tried again and again while trying to coordinate other players and get them to at least not kill each other. I ended up ironing out the whole chaos for about 2 hours into the mission. I'm really trying my best here to create a nice atmosphere for ALL to enjoy. Because then and only then this whole server and all the missions I have live up to their high potential. But tonight's session was really something else. It was too much.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments