How good is the Huey?

-0303-

Buy mfg crosswind pedals, heavy as hell, they feel like a real set and the guy that makes them is a pleasure to deal with.

I also got crosswinds, tho they are a little unstable if you do not apply even pressure on both foot rests

On topic, the huey is damn good, but I rate the mi8 higher

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

There can be nothing :D better than Huey.

Agree!! :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

• 3 weeks later...

How good is the Huey?

I’m an Ex British Air Assault RL Infantry Soldier! Huey is one of the most iconic chariots! I used Wessex, Chinook, Lynx and Sea King. I have to say the DCS Huey makes me believe Its real! The engine sounds, unforgiving controls and overall experience are second to none!

564b8c51b39e713f38343207aa7b2980.jpg

7f1617d54e8d75446641fd7c048fc149.jpg

36ffd00f40279d56756a70c946092ffb.jpg

Edited by Irishlad200000

Buy mfg crosswind pedals, heavy as hell, they feel like a real set and the guy that makes them is a pleasure to deal with.

MFG Crosswinds can be adjusted soft or hard. I bought them partly for helicopters. I ordered the "soft spring" (cost 'nothing' ca 3 euro) to be included just for helicopters.

I have read on the forums here that light controls (pedals and stick) is what is needed for helicopters. Is this correct?

I have a TM Warthog. Which is why I'm considering biting the bullet and getting

replacement even if it is annoyingly expensive just for a spring. I want a softer spring for both helicopters and for flying the very elevator sensitive Spitfire.

I must say I'm not as hampered by the strong TMW spring as I was at first. Maybe I've gotten used to it or the spring has softened (not likely). There definitely is sticktion. I think the sticktion does hamper my Huey flying and I know a softer spring will diminish sticktion.

Opinion on Sahajs TMW spring replacement for helicopters?

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

MFG Crosswinds can be adjusted soft or hard. I bought them partly for helicopters. I ordered the "soft spring" (cost 'nothing' ca 3 euro) to be included just for helicopters.

I have read on the forums here that light controls (pedals and stick) is what is needed for helicopters. Is this correct?

replacement even if it is annoyingly expensive just for a spring. I want a softer spring for both helicopters and for flying the very elevator sensitive Spitfire.

I must say I'm not as hampered by the strong TMW spring as I was at first. Maybe I've gotten used to it or the spring has softened (not likely). There definitely is sticktion. I think the sticktion does hamper my Huey flying and I know a softer spring will diminish sticktion.

Have you considered stick extension instead?

So many modules, so little time...

www.mikphotography.com

You could try the main spring removal mod first:

I did that a long time ago.

First thing i did as soon as i got my TMWH years ago!

Needed some time to get used to but hell i don't think i'll ever manage to go back... both helos and aircrafts are much easier to control :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

First thing i did as soon as i got my TMWH years ago!

Needed some time to get used to but hell i don't think i'll ever manage to go back... both helos and aircrafts are much easier to control :joystick:

I’m not disagreeing in this mod, but I have standard TM Warthog setup from the release. Although I have had to replace my pedals (Saitek), the TM is still as good as new with daily usage!

Yes the feel is firm, but really nice. In real life I fly a Thruster T600N which also has a stick and throttle. I have had joysticks, but the TM WG is the closest one for feel. When I trim the real aircraft is for takeoff it nearly feels it has the same stiffness as my TM. I think the TM has a little more room on axis, which is good.940cad19ef115acb9e0ff07b2fcf3161.jpg

26d24fd957d91845c798c043e0f4d7f0.jpg

The problem i have with the feeling of the WH in stock form, is the "stickiness" when you hold it in place and then try to make a very little correction.

I have a very early days HOTAS so they might have fixed it with subsequent production. The stickiness isn't really there IRL as the resistance isn't by a spring 10 cm below the grip but rather airflow pushing on the surfaces. I've flown IRL as well, i know what you are refering to and i agree the WH needs a pretty close-to-real force to move, it's just the stickiness that got me to mod it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

Have you considered stick extension instead?

Definitely, I have. Not practical short term. Can't be placed on desktop. Need to build it on the plate holding the Crosswinds.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

You could try the main spring removal mod first:

I did that a long time ago.

I searched and looked for everything.

Have not tried that because I think the centering may be to weak. I flown IRL about a dozen different gliders. The air forces provides centering. You set the centering with trim. Kind of like with the joystick, if trimmed you can release the joystick to center. If centering is to weak you cant do that.

I'm also a little afraid the TMWH will be damaged with the big spring out and small springs on top. It wasn't built to be used like that. But mainly I think the centering will be too weak (as can be seen in the video).

.. both helos and aircrafts are much easier to control
Good to have that confirmed again.

~

Funny thing 20 years ago I had the original TM joystick (gameport). It's springs were all broken but I didn't mind, I preferred it that way. The handle was so light, it could be placed in any position and stayed there. The TMWH grip is very heavy. One time i removed the big the spring and instantly realized this wouldn't work at all. The grip is so heavy it will get damaged if released and allowed to fall.

On TM Wartog, imho the best advice I can give is to add an extension to your stick, and use it centered, between legs.

It's a whole other feeling, the stick is suddenly lighter and more precise.

It's really worth trying to adapt your place to it

Other than that, going the spring way can work. If you have money, you can also consider replacing the base with a mecanically better one with better softness & precision, namely a Virpil base.

Edited by Whisper

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

• 4 months later...
Loss of tail rotor effectiveness (LTE) isn't modelled in any DCS module - this means that in a static hover, the DCS Huey is controllable in an adverse 40 knots crosswind, while IRL it'd be about 20 knots. The DCS Huey's tail does 'weather cock' into the wind which some players take to be LTE but IRL, LTE would increase the effect.

Currently the Huey is a little under powered at sea level (has similar performance to 4000' curve) and the rotor produces more lift than would be expected at higher altitudes (10,000'). This isn't an issue for a slick (clean) configuration but with weapons, you'll want to use 50% fuel / 86% (8200/9500 lbs) GTW.

The lower than RL performance and recent EGT damage model causes problems for some missions and paid DLC i.e. Argo, as they were designed to be challenging without taking loadout/weight into account.

Both Engine and Main Rotor dynamics are being reworked ATM.

Loadouts are limited to M134 Mini-guns, M60 door guns, 2.75' rockets HE/WP/Smoke/Illumination and slick (no hard points). It does carry a lot of ammunition though - mini-gun 3200 each, M60 750 each and 7/19 rockets per pod (max 2).

Lots of user skins and missions have been made for the Huey, but changes to DCS textures and .lua script functions, unfortunately broke many old favourites, there's still a lot of good ones but YMMV.

I wouldn't call the Huey difficult - my startup checklist fits on half a page of A4 and getting it started less than 5 minutes, doing the same in the Mi-8 takes about 15 minutes.

Mastering it takes longer but I consider it an ideal starting point as you'll spend most of your time flying, not going though checklists or working out which switches to set.

This is what a RL Huey pilot said recently of the current FM:

Is it still correct that the Huey engine and rotor are being re-worked? I don't recall reading any news about it in ED's 2020 plans.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Is it still correct that the Huey engine and rotor are being re-worked? I don't recall reading any news about it in ED's 2020 plans.

AFAIK there hasn't been an update (Re: the engine rework) since 2018, so it's possible priorities have changed or that the UH-1H update has grown to included the addition of the long promised multi-crew (which is mentioned).

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080