Missing speed indicator on HUD

rwy12

Hi everyone

New to the ka 50.

I Just noticed the speed indicator on top left is missing in my ka 50.

I have searched the forum but nothing has helped.

No speed shows at either low or high speeds.

Only the camera shows speed on top left

many hanks for any suggestions.

Qas

With the Shkval (targeting camera system) uncaged (active), the HUD changes to a decluttered attack mode. I've never seen airspeed in this mode, I reference the analog gauge on the front console. I just looked through the manual and the pictures in there indicate the airspeed ought to be on the HUD during attack mode, so I don't really know why it isn't.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Like kengou said, with the Shkval uncaged, the airspeed readout disappears from the HUD. I find this really odd, but apparently it's intentional.

And then of course there's the doppler nav system that takes about 3 minutes to spool up and become ready. If you do a very fast startup, or you omit some crucial items from your checklist, that may also be the reason you don't get an airspeed indication in the HUD.

To add on, if you want to get airspeed back you just need to return to nav mode. To do this, hit the shkval reset button on the Collective.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Alo note that when shkval is active, the airspeed is visible in the top left corner of the Shkval TV screen

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

To elaborate on this, the speed shown on the HUD is the ground speed from the doppler nav system, which is powered by the INU switch on the back right panel. It has a startup time of around 3 minutes. The speed shown on the Shkval is the indicated air speed and it matches the analog gauge reading. Below 50km/h, it will show 0 due to not enough ram air entering the pitot tube to get a reading. The ABRIS shows ground speed measured by GLONASS. This is why the 3 "speeds" that you see in the cockpit often won't match up, because they have different sources.

Possible solution to no speed showing on HUD

Hi Everyone

Since my last post on this I think I may have tumbled over a solution.

I have never had the speed showing on the HUD.

I found by pressing the backspace button on key board ( 'Button targeting Mode Reset' ) the HUD symbols change and speed indicator shows on top left.

This works most times-sometimes I have to press the shkval uncage button few times for the speed to re appear.

It's better than before -but not ideal solution.

Hope it will helpful

Qas

This is the intended behavior.

The numeric value will ONLY show up when

- you're in navigation mode (Shkval caged) and

- the INS system is active and warmed up

The INS takes power from the generators not the battery. So it will take around 2-3 minutes after startup for the speed indication to appear on the HUD.

Also note the numeric value is your ground speed, not your indicated airspeed. The latter is important to watch to avoid things like a rotor clash. For that you still have the scale with your max speed being marked.