Campaign cage the bear

Dannyvandelft

Pretty new to DCS, First real flight sim, been flying the Tomcat primarily. Felt I was ready to tackle some missions.

Mission 1, once I understood what I had to do, no biggie. Fly CAP, Kill bombers and fighters, RTB.

Mission 2, protect strike forces. Little harder, but again, no biggie.

Mission 3, oh lordy. Shit just got real. Fly in, bomb airfield, bug out. Took me about 6 tries. First 5 ended in disaster. 6th attempt, I get a couple bombs on target, BUT my starboard engine is shot to pieces. I get the option to call RTB so I do and head for the coast. Problem 2, no nav on the VDI or the HUD or HDD. The Compass is all I got left. So I snake my way through the mountains but I'm hemorrhaging fuel. Starboard thrust lever all the way back, and into idle. Port engine at half thrust, and the fuel flow stabilized. Jester and my RWR are SCREAMING radar spikes and popups looking for me. Snaking through the mountains.... finally.... OCEAN! Where's the carrier..... radio..... dead. ****! and then I notice the TACAN arrow in the heading indicator.... Jester you BEAUTY! I jettison my remaining bombs, missiles and tanks, and limp home.... 2000 lbs.... 1500 lbs.... 1000 lbs..... WHERE IS THAT GODDAMN BOAT!! And then..... Is that?.... IT IS! 700 lbs of fuel left.... I line up, drop gear, drop hook, flaps,...... STALLING! MORE POWER! BUT FUEL!..... Gear up, flaps up, power down.... at the last possible second I drop the gear and flaps and activate DLC....... I catch the 1 wire and I sit there what felt like an hour. Breathing heavy, smiling, Mission Complete pops up. I look at my fuel gauge.... 400 lbs left. Goddamn. And all this was in VR. Tomorrow, mission 4.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I had a similar experience, not in this campaign, but in a mission where I killed the bandits but took a minor hit plus I wasn't paying attention to my fuel state. It left me over Iran with a low fuel situation and no navigation instruments except for my magnetic compass. AS I headed generally west toward the Gulf, I realized my AI wingman hadn't been hit and so I told him RTB. He did, and I just followed him home--poof navigation problem solved. We got to the boat and I dropped my gear. No indicator lights. External view showed the gear wasn't coming down. I had to blow them down with the emergency override. I put the hook down--same thing. Had to blow that down too. Went for a straight in and got really low but was down to a few hundred pounds of gas. Somehow made it aboard with a real dirty threewire. Sat there trying to catch my breath in the trap area, shaking a little. Then the engines sputtered out as the fuel burned out. What a tough day at the office!

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

So far I like the campaign. The first mission was pretty wild. Got 7 kills and the AI killed the rest. Being able to turn on ACM mode and quickly launch several active Phoenix's in rapid succession (with each finding its mark) is very satisfying. Strangely there was no ammo in the gun though?

Modules - F-18, F-16, Spitfire, F-5, Supercarrier, F-14, A10-C, MiG-21, Huey

There is gun ammo in the F-14 for this mission, but you need to set the ammo-counter yourself, if you have started up the F-14. Else the counter will always show 0.

Ah. The one thing I forgot to do. Mainly because when flying quick missions it's already set for you.

Im glad to hear you're enjoying the campaign. Ive got a bit more time in the next month to tweak, so please do feel free to provide any feedback or comments.

So far so good. Other than the one time the wingman decided he was going to push me out of the way after a cold start. Lol.

Modules - F-18, F-16, Spitfire, F-5, Supercarrier, F-14, A10-C, MiG-21, Huey

Im glad to hear you're enjoying the campaign. Ive got a bit more time in the next month to tweak, so please do feel free to provide any feedback or comments.
I'm on mission 6 and so far so good.

Is there a Persian Gulf Campaign? Cage the Camel?

Maybe it could be a couple missions in that the carrier gets attacked and damaged and operations have to be flown from a land based airfield?

Oooooor if it's possible, let's say there's a strike group headed for the carrier, and depending on the outcome of that mission, it determines where the next one starts. Meaning, if you manage to intercept and kill all the attackers before they get their missiles off onto the carrier, you start there or after they launch and you're unable to land on the damaged deck and you have to divert.

Any advice for mission #2? I destroy the two first Mig-23 easily but then the three mug-21 take off and they usually fly too close to the SAM sites such that I am dodging missiles left right and Center when I dogfight them. Also SEAD seems to be highly ineffective. Any advice on dealing with the Mig-21s?

F-14B - F-18C - F-16C - Mirage 2000

i7-6700k 4Ghz; EVGA 2080ti; 32GB DDR4; warthog HOTAS; Logitech pro flight pedals; oculus Rift S

Any advice for mission #2? I destroy the two first Mig-23 easily but then the three mug-21 take off and they usually fly too close to the SAM sites such that I am dodging missiles left right and Center when I dogfight them. Also SEAD seems to be highly ineffective. Any advice on dealing with the Mig-21s?
Let them get closer to you, outside of SAM range. Just patrol along the steer point. When they come in range, kill them.