Auto Hover 2.5

Erk104

Is there wind in the mission? Wind will make you drift. A good way to check is to set your NADIR knob to V.S|DER. The top number on the display shows your ground speed. Try to get that as close to zero as passible when engaging autohover.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ANON6-1 | Wolfie

The other thing I would add is even with auto hover engaged you will drift so you might not think it's engaged I use the tell tale of the torque going up just a tad to indicate that auto hover engaged.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• 6 months later...
I used it yesterday and everything is okay, you should test it under 0 wing condition, be hovering near the floor and then try if it works, maybe you are missing something in start up.

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure I'm within the limits. I'll try make a recording of the session, then abandon this piece of crap forever and fly what flies and behaves like a helicopter.

Also, I flew robinsons IRL, not as twitchy as the gazelle... not even the R22...

What do your axes actually look like. From advice I received here, don't use curves keep it linear, set saturation very high, like 20-30 to flatten the curves. Makes all helo's much more flyable.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I used it yesterday and everything is okay, you should test it under 0 wing condition, be hovering near the floor and then try if it works, maybe you are missing something in start up.

I also used it last weekend. It works just fine.

But one thing I would add to swatstar98's comment is to check that the AP switch is on. If not, then auto-hover will not engage. As the AP switch will not stay on unless the engines are fully spooled up, it sometimes gets missed or deactivated during the start-up sequence - which is what is was probably alluding to. It's caught me out a few times, so the "auto-hover-on-takeoff" check is now part of my standard procedure.

EDIT : Just speculating, but perhaps the AP is being de-activated in flight, which would explain it sometimes working/sometimes not and seemingly random crashes.

Edited by xvii-Dietrich
Added clarification

• 7 months later...

That was a head scratcher... turned out my fuel flow lever was assigned to an axis that was going only to 99% so AP was not allowing autohover to engage. I have put a little deadzone to that axis so I made sure the lever goes to 100% in the helicopter and... voila!... it works easy now.

So anybody with this strange AP not engaging any auto mode whatsoever check axis on fuel flow lever,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Maybe you need to have the NADIR on? I don't use it as my missions usually don't require complex navigation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I found that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't causing me much frustration. This worked for me: as soon as it does not want to engage and I am sure my parameters are in limits, press Autopilot Master in the category "Pilot Stick" (not the one "Master On/Off" on the console next to the autopilot pitch, roll, and yaw switches, but the one on the stick). Works like a charm after that. Worth a try.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
7 hours ago, rhinofilms said:

I can't get autohover to engage after the update.  No problems before and I'm able to get it to hover within the required parameters.

Is anyone else having that problem?

AFAIK Auto hover, etc. for the new FM wasn't ready in time for ED's patching cycle - so doesn't work.

Current recommendation is to use the regular cyclic trim and avoid auto-hover/slave. 

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally got Auto Hover to work ...

DCS Stable version 2.8.7.42718,  Microsoft Force Feedback2

Fuel Flow not mapped.  Pitch and Roll axes linear with deadband 5 (I think this is critical for me, I'll investigate reducing the deadbands)

Hot start on ground.  Set NADIR mode to Terre and NADIR parameter to VS.  Lift off to approx 3m (10ft).  Achieve stable hover (with slight movement).

No trim adjustment and setting.

Engage Auto Hover (key bind 'Q').  CVS indicator illuminates (below Fuel Flow switch 'POMPE')

Hands off joystick.  Helicopter achieves wobbly, yawing hover.  Adjust Yaw (using Z and X keys).  Helicopter settles into the sliding hover within the box.

Phew!

Joystick still functions for gentle inputs, helicopter returns to position when released.

Edited by RaySpainPlayer