The F-22 Thread

NineLine

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, It only took a little over a decade.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Probably another decade.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 1 month later...

To whom it may concern,

It just keeps popping up.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/congress-asking-air-force-to-look-at-restarting-f-22-production-line/article/2588961

Increasing threats from China and Russia are causing some lawmakers to look at restarting the F-22 fighter production line, a House Armed Services Committee staffer said Tuesday.

The draft defense authorization bill from the Subcommittee on Tactical Air and Land Forces requires the Air Force to deliver a report to Congress by Jan. 1, 2017, detailing future aircraft shortfalls and what it would cost to buy more F-22s.

"In light of growing threats to U.S. air superiority as a result of adversaries closing the technology gap and increasing demand from allies and partners for high-performance, multi-role aircraft to meet evolving and worsening global security threats, the committee believes that such proposals are worthy of further exploration," the draft bill says.

The decision to give the F-22 another look is being driven by changes in the world order, including the rise of China and Russia, according to committee staff.

Would make a great Tornado replacement if you're willing to export.

It just keeps popping up.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/congress-asking-air-force-to-look-at-restarting-f-22-production-line/article/2588961

Would make a great Tornado replacement if you're willing to export.

Congress isn't ponying up the cash to support the current Air Force, why the hell do people think they'll pay for restarting the Raptor line? :doh:

Congress isn't ponying up the cash to support the current Air Force, why the hell do people think they'll pay for restarting the Raptor line? :doh:

A change of administration, current climate maybe.

Restarting the Raptor Line, would be significantly cheaper and quicker than Developing a new Aircraft from Scratch in a New ATF-X Program, then Building new Tooling and Assembly Lines.

Bring F-22 Tooling out of storage, inspect, re-build Line. While that's being done, make modifications to the avionics to improve F-22's Electronics Systems, and Upgrade them,

Boom F-22B w/ Entirely New Systems and Capabilities and a fraction of a cost of a proposed ATF-X Program.

With the option to Retrofit the existing F-22As to the new standard as well.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

A change of administration, current climate maybe.

Budgets are set by congress, not the president, him changing will have little effect on what gets funded and what does not. The USAF already is being put under immense strain personnel and finance wise thanks to congress mandating military programs that were originally slated to end. The F-22 is already lagging in systems such as HMCS and the ability to use its Sidewinders off bore. So you're not just dusting things off, you're implementing an upgrade program too. And researching it. And certifying it. Congress won't foot the bill. The more cost effective route is to try to expedite the Bloc 5 F-35s, as it will give them the same BVR punch while also expanding the tactcal attack fleet.

Restarting the Raptor Line, would be significantly cheaper and quicker than Developing a new Aircraft from Scratch in a New ATF-X Program, then Building new Tooling and Assembly Lines.

Bring F-22 Tooling out of storage, inspect, re-build Line. While that's being done, make modifications to the avionics to improve F-22's Electronics Systems, and Upgrade them,

Boom F-22B w/ Entirely New Systems and Capabilities and a fraction of a cost of a proposed ATF-X Program.

With the option to Retrofit the existing F-22As to the new standard as well.

Would love to see this!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Just saw them today passing over my house near Paris in close formation, and even if it lasted about 3 seconds man that was awesome!

Saw a B-52 as well. It was the icing on the cake for me. :D

They were commemorating the 100th anniversary of the La Fayette squadron.

centenaire-de-l-escadrille-2-4-la-fayette_article_pleine_colonne.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The F-22 is already lagging in systems such as HMCS and the ability to use its Sidewinders off bore. So you're not just dusting things off, you're implementing an upgrade program too. And researching it. And certifying it. Congress won't foot the bill. The more cost effective route is to try to expedite the Bloc 5 F-35s, as it will give them the same BVR punch while also expanding the tactcal attack fleet.

According to the article, it is Congress that is asking for the information on restarting the line so they might be semi-serious about it. They recognize that we need more F-22's to, at least, replace the aged F-15's and want to go the cheaper route by restarting production in lieu of procuring a new design and in the process using existing technology from the programs already in testing to improve the F-22's combat capability. If they start next year I would expect to see a new F-22B FSD airframe in about 2020-2022 timeframe. They should have just bought the 749 airframes as originally planned and upgraded from there but hindsight being what it is...

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I don't know the intricacies of USAF naming conventions, but wouldn't an updated single seat F-22 be an F-22C? The B model is usually a 2 seater, or does this not apply if there isn't a 2 seater model?

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I don't know the intricacies of USAF naming conventions, but wouldn't an updated single seat F-22 be an F-22C? The B model is usually a 2 seater, or does this not apply if there isn't a 2 seater model?

Not necessarily, it depends on the aircraft. For example P-51A, B, C, D; F-35A, B, C; F-105A, B, C and D; F-8U; A-4; A-7 etc. etc. are all single seat.

[ame]http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/412015l.pdf[/ame]

Looks like they have been thinking ahead for this designations since before 2004.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

The 2 seaters ie F-16A and F-16B are usually developed at the same time which is the only reason they get the next letter.

Same with F-18

F-18A, Single

F-18B, 2

F-18C, Single

F-18D, 2

F-18E, Single

F-18F, 2

F-18G, Electronic Warfare Variant

Then You got F-14

F-14A, First Blocks

F-14B, New Engines, etc (Formally A+)

F-14C, Aborted USAF Variant

F-14D, Analog to Digital Conversion

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

According to the article, it is Congress that is asking for the information on restarting the line so they might be semi-serious about it. They recognize that we need more F-22's to, at least, replace the aged F-15's and want to go the cheaper route by restarting production in lieu of procuring a new design and in the process using existing technology from the programs already in testing to improve the F-22's combat capability.

The perfect opportunity do to the Super Hornet trick again and get Congress to fund an enlarged and thoroughly modernized aircraft. An airframe mating the F-22A's performance with more range and internal payload could replace all remaining F-15s and would be better suited for the requirements of the 21st century.

The perfect opportunity do to the Super Hornet trick again and get Congress to fund an enlarged and thoroughly modernized aircraft. An airframe mating the F-22A's performance with more range and internal payload could replace all remaining F-15s and would be better suited for the requirements of the 21st century.

So basically it's the original plan from the late '80s.:lol:

It doesn't have anything to do with being a two-seater or not. I think the training Raptor was developed a bit then canned in the 97-99 period, so the new one will probably be an F-22C, imo.

Lord of Salt

According to the article, it is Congress that is asking for the information on restarting the line so they might be semi-serious about it. They recognize that we need more F-22's to, at least, replace the aged F-15's and want to go the cheaper route by restarting production in lieu of procuring a new design and in the process using existing technology from the programs already in testing to improve the F-22's combat capability. If they start next year I would expect to see a new F-22B FSD airframe in about 2020-2022 timeframe. They should have just bought the 749 airframes as originally planned and upgraded from there but hindsight being what it is...

Congress asking for a feasibility report means very little in the grand scheme of things. Supporting an expanded fighter fleet of aircraft that are not particularly maintenance light simply isn't in the budget moving forward. The Air Force already is suffering a personnel shortage thanks to meddling from Congress in its programs. In order to take on another few hundred airframes, they'll need to open the trough again and need several years lead in time to train personnel. It frankly makes more sense to either wait for the Gen6 Fighter, or invest in an F-35D, as it already is designed for easier maintenance, and maintains congruity in the fighter fleet. The line for that can much more easily be adapted and an upgraded version could come online far sooner than another F-22 could come out.

The service that really needs financial attention is the Navy, not the Air Force, as much as it galls me to say that.

This should scare the hell out of the F-35 community...F-22 production was truncated to free up money for the F-35. The fact this request came from so far up the command chain indicates this is more than a hypothetical discussion...

While true it would take a few years to train personnel and ramp up production, in the end we'd have a proven combat capable aircraft far sooner than waiting for the magical mystical F-35.

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

in the end we'd have a proven combat capable aircraft far sooner than waiting for the magical mystical F-35.

that's too short sighted imo, right now is the best time to be teething next generation technologies. we have no immediate need for such superlative aerodynamic performance; rather it would be more beneficial in the long term to mature f-35 avionics so that they can be integrated into successor platforms with fewer design compromises.