[INVESTIGATING] Losing 1 wing and keeping ...

Anatoli-Kagari9

Perhaps it is an issue with the visual damage model, it shows the whole wing blown off however the damage model only registers part of the wing as damaged?

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

• ED Team
I don't have even Nvidia Shadowplay enabled because my system is rather old... OTOH, recording a flight in DCS is still bugged, so, it's not going to be a video by me, but I can confirm having had my wing ripped to the root...

Yet, I was at low G, probably very near 1G, so no great forces were being applied, and this could account for not spinning around the moment the wing got ripped off...

Regarding the tail thing, that's a different story, because with a tail ripped off I would expect at least a deep nose down pitching .... certainly not a shallow / flat spin, and all with the engine still working....

You are not right. As the plane gets unstable without a tail its pitching moment depends on AoA it has in the moment of tail out. At higher AoA it goes nose up, at lower - nose down.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Many spits seem to have at least 2 tails in DCS atm though

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

You are not right. As the plane gets unstable without a tail its pitching moment depends on AoA it has in the moment of tail out. At higher AoA it goes nose up, at lower - nose down.

Interesting and thx for sharing that info Yo-Yo.

I don't believe the weirdiness with the ripped surfaces has anything to do with the flight dynamics of the Spitfire, which are probably, for an early access module and after my experience with the other ww2 modules, probably the best ever released in such an early phase.

There are details that I have pointed out in other threads, like the way sideslip affects dynamic and static ports and impacts on ASI, the ground handling, the overall feel of the aircraft when flying that are 2nd to none.

Instead I think it's a graphical / damage model problem, and indeed when we do not see some surfaces there visually, this is actually not fully in sync with the lattice seen by the core FDM ( ? )

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• ED Team
Look in the "show me your first spitfire kills" thread and watch the latest movie, but it's hard to identify how much of the wing i lost there...

This is very accurate scientific observation... :)

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team
Look in the "show me your first spitfire kills" thread and watch the latest movie, but it's hard to identify how much of the wing i lost there...

But in this video

there is no problem to do it... :)

• ED Team

I guess that you simply did not want to do it... it's much easier to shout "one wing 100% out" then to really research on the case.

942043699_Spitwithoutwing.png.22e433eb26576beabb8d9ec9539a03ac.png

I guess that you simply did not want to do it... it's much easier to shout "one wing 100% out" then to really research on the case.

Well, 50% of the right wing is gone... Most of the pictures you linked (if not all) showed more than 50% intact

And before we say the damage model and flight model is accurate or broken, i'd suggest to buy a spitfire and test everything in full scale... :P

• ED Team
Well, 50% of the right wing is gone... Most of the pictures you linked (if not all) showed more than 50% intact

And before we say the damage model and flight model is accurate or broken, i'd suggest to buy a spitfire and test everything in full scale... :P

But first you have to buy steel... mmm, how to name it right... :D

Yep Zulfi, if I pool at high G, the wings will certainly break apart and the aircraft will become uncontrollable.

What I meant in the OP is that it remained "too stable" when losing only one of the wings to the root, but I believe there are probably two reasons:

.) Due to being an early release, there is not yet a perfect sync between the graphics and the damage and flight dynamics modules of the aircraft;

.) The circumstances under which it occurred were all low G situations. We can arrange for an online flight at one of the servers, with you on your Fw190 following me in a tight turn, and shooting from a close position at the root of my port or starboard wing, trying to make it detach...

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Yes Jose , we could try it out but i don't know when, i am trying to fly since yesterday but just not been able to. The only flight I tried was the new version of FG.

Let's see maybe later tonight or tomorrow.

BTW i don't know the Dora well yet like the Mig

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

• 1 year later...

After being hit I still managed to lower the remaining landing gear and fly easily for 2 or 3 minutes before crash. :clown_2:

Latest Open Beta

Single mission Normandy

Screen_180921_001651.thumb.png.03bd779980ca23fa9bd4a94e3ca538fe.png

Screen_180921_001658.thumb.png.d3b0c8ac76a5f6f6c5e7270cbb4f6d11.png

Screen_180921_001743.thumb.png.28b33cf2dec0fbf7a9b5d6e122624acd.png

Windows 10 64-bit * AMD Ryzen 7 2700 * Ram 32 GB DDR4-2666 * Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB * NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Dual OC * Saitek X-52/MFFB2, CH rudder pedals

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Today I shot a Spit in the win,g it started pouring black smoke. The Spit flew on like nothing happened. Then on the next pass I shot that wing off and it started burning. He kept flying. Unbelievable.

Then I shot up another spit, white smoke, flying fast as ever. Another pass, explosion, black smoke. I ran out of ammo, he kept fighting a FW190 and only crashed 10 minutes later.

Something is very wrong. I know the new DM is coming, fingers crossed. BTW, can Spits still gain 30-40 mph by carrying bombs then dropping them?

Yes I read this in the Russian Forum as well. But there they are saying 50mph! Havent tested it in the new patch but I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere so likely the devs are not aware.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Just tested. 612 kmh (380 mph) at sea level. And 330 with the bombs still on. Its as fast as a Dora! Ill try to make a video with a bug report in a few minutes.

9./JG27

It was reported, but no answer from ED or reaction.

btw. speed gain was lower when it was reported first time, now Spitfire get "superpower"...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215398

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |