SAM sites setup

Bacab

No, it would not be. 1km maybe, but usually they won't be that far. Maybe a few hundred meters.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

IIRC, the Hawk uses wires for communication between Radar and launcher. So technically, it should be possible.

But I don't know, how DCS handles the communication between these units.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found a good source on how to set up a real HAWK SAM site. It's the homepage of a former german HAWK squadron. There, you will get your correct answer, IMO.

https://www.hawkies.de/stellungserfordernisse.html

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But I don't know, how DCS handles the communication between these units.

For ground sams of the same type the units in the same group are connected. There are requirements of different components like search radars, tracking radars, fire control, or other to be present within the group for the site to engage targets. To my knowledge there is no max distance the units can be placed apart from another, that is if you don't take radar and missile range into account.

• Like 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

For ground sams of the same type the units in the same group are connected. There are requirements of different components like search radars, tracking radars, fire control, or other to be present within the group for the site to engage targets. To my knowledge there is no max distance the units can be placed apart from another, that is if you don't take radar and missile range into account.

Ok, but do they have to have line of sight?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found a good source on how to set up a real HAWK SAM site. It's the homepage of a former german HAWK squadron. There, you will get your correct answer, IMO.

interesting.

the site states, that one full battery (1 cwar, 2 hpir, 2 pcp, 6 launchers) could be split into two units (afu), which could operate independently and give overwatch to each other when relocating.

but that would mean, that one afu would have no cwar on their own and would have to rely on the hpir for target accqusition (probably with IR, like the russian buk does...), or that there was indeed a way to wirelessly share accquisition data between the two PCP of each afu. hpir was probably always wired, since it probably had much greater data throughput.

any ideas on that?

Edited by twistking

Training films of the Bundeswehr: relocating a Hawk site, including recon / gathering intel about the new site and the actual Hawk site setup. warning: those BW training films of the 70s/80s are all a bit cheesy ... ;-)

• 6 months later...

What we are missing is an Army level SAM like the S-300V (Sa-12 Gladiator), plus the older S-500 and S-75 por V-PVO Strategic air defence.

Why the S-300V is missing? The current S-300 (P or PMU, can’t remember the precise designation) are for V-PVO and not Army level formation (there are not mobile enough).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Alis Aquilae Aut Pax Aut Bellum"

Veritech's DCS YouTube Channel

What we are missing is an Army level SAM like the S-300V (Sa-12 Gladiator), plus the older S-500 and S-75 por V-PVO Strategic air defence.

Why the S-300V is missing? The current S-300 (P or PMU, can’t remember the precise designation) are for V-PVO and not Army level formation (there are not mobile enough).

I'd rather have a Sa-4 over a Sa-12. The thing with modern systems is that you only have numbers from actual users and the designers to build the model and I trust none to give accurate and pertinent informations.