RomeoKilo's Pit

romeokilo

This thread is basically retired, and the project now has its own website

www.thewarthogproject.com

Hi all,

For the last couple of years I have been intermittently working on the pit in this thread- Obutto Console Project

During that build I bought a cheap Chinese K40 laser cutter and the build slowly turned away from the Obutto consoles and all my funds and time went into the tools rather than the pit.

After many hours (and dollars) I am now pretty happy with what I can turn out with the laser.

Still not 100% perfect and I'm still learning- but acceptable to me.

With all the time (and dollars) I've invested into tools I decided to bin the Obutto consoles idea and build a full A-10 pit.

I am still using some artistic licence here and there on the panels and changing a few things (mostly cosmetic) to fit, but its going to be much more of an A-10 style cockpit than the Obutto ever could be.

The three monitors are gone.

For now its one projector thrown on the wall, but a triple projector curved screen build is planned for when I'm in my new home toward the end of this year.

Until then its into the pit.

I bought Flims front console plans (I got the side consoles aswell but I haven't even looked at them yet) and modified them to fit my panels and monitor. I also added a whole bunch of slots and tabs, basically so it would fit together like a big jigsaw puzzle.

I then had them CNC cut from 6mm and 12mm MDF.

Here it is slotted together after I had just picked it up. No glue or screws-

37505742630_84a4ee3d36_k.jpg

37505741820_92cec17789_k.jpg

This is how I intend to build up the gauges. Not a replica of an A-10 but it gets the job done. I am not sure how its going to look with some of the bezels over 30mm from the monitor though. Middle one is 12mm thick, the other two are 6mm.

23911190418_774e361a00_b.jpg

Today I started gluing and bolting it all together. I was worried about how the MDF would hold up, but first impressions are good. The external skin is all MDF, but I've since bolstered up it structure with 4x2 in the corners and two aluminium brackets running behind the monitor. Its very sturdy.

23911188368_f033a7a78c_b.jpg

23911187758_55bb8807df_b.jpg

Trial fitting the monitor-

23911185908_bd06a38d4d_k.jpg

23911185348_303b6c3171_k.jpg

This is my (6th...) prototype Landing Gear Panel and Handle. It has come a long way since the hand drilled acrylic, ink jet printouts and a castor wheel in the first thread!

Handle before gluing. Still working on where to position the LEDs for best lighting.

This one is based on a Gadroc's measurements, but because my AHCP will be lifted out of the MIP by 18mm (to clear the monitor) I'll probably have to do one with less of a bend.

37732240002_e48bbc6e2d_k.jpg

Panel broken down. I added a 4th panel mounting screw and moved them around to secure the front better and minimize back light bleed, as well as adding an eBay Switch Guard.

I simplified my flaps gauge to make it much less complicated. The needle connects direct to the servo which is controlled by a Phidgets board. Ill move to Arduino and DCS bios later on once I learn it...

37732238882_a7a5df375e_k.jpg

37732237842_bea169b50f_k.jpg

And trial fitting it into the MIP.

37715857966_3e4333f7e2_k.jpg

37715857746_a8e18689a2_k.jpg

The lever mechanism. I still need to tweak it a bit- the final mechanism will be black Acrylic to minimize back light bleed around the handle. I'm also still tweaking the movement path of the handle and the spring tension.

37505740340_459303bbdc_k.jpg

And everything else I am working on-

37505743380_8d972222dc_k.jpg

Note I left the MFDs holes full size. Ill do up a bracket to fit the thrustmasters for now- but I do plan to make my own full size ones down the track.

Once I iron out all the bugs on the Landing Gear Panel I plan to do a limited run of them if anyone is keen. Ill fire up a new thread once/if that is in the works.

Edited by romeokilo
added website link
  • Like 1

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome built! Subscribed to the thread. Looking forward to learn a bit more as I prepare myself to build one as well.

Where did you buy the panels from? Or you did them yourself?

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

That's really nice job. I was thinking of using low powered Fresnel lenses for the more deeply recessed panel elements.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Awesome built! Subscribed to the thread. Looking forward to learn a bit more as I prepare myself to build one as well.

Where did you buy the panels from? Or you did them yourself?

Thanks! The cockpit was CNC cut for my by these guys- Branchflowers CNC. The panels are done by me on the laser.

Great build your doing.

What k40 machine are you using, would you have a link.

The ones I've found seem to have very small cutting beds of 300mm x 200mm.

All K40's are essentially the same design. I bought the cheapest one I could on eBay and modified/upgraded it. I'm working with that size bed- it's big enough to do all the A-10 panels one piece at a time.

Looking good! I love how once you have a laser cutter everything can be built out of stacks of acrylic :thumbup:. I'd be willing to bet that was my drawing of the landing gear handle.

Gadroc

It was yours! Updated the first post.

Plus- considering Helios is the whole basis of this pit- I wouldn't of even attempted a pit without your input! Thanks! :thumbup:

That's really nice job. I was thinking of using low powered Fresnel lenses for the more deeply recessed panel elements.

Interesting idea. I'll see if I can get a cheap one and experiment.

Trial fitting everything today-

37094025733_16f03c0f91_k.jpg

The AHCP spacer is not fitted in the pic- Managed to squeeze a few more mm out of it by snapping off the solder tabs on each switch and soldering direct to them instead- so I am making another slightly thinner one.

Once everything is trial fitted I am going to route a path for the cables behind the MIP so it can be as flush to the monitor as possible. Also working on suitable brackets for the thrustmasters.

I also have realized I've made a mistake on the glare shield- the center spacers are not supposed to be as tall as the sides where the stores jettison button is (if that makes sense). Still deciding if I will re-do it or leave as is.

Here is my fuel panel broken down-

37732235652_0b8dba5f21_k.jpg

Trial fitted

37715856746_5d59b02a75_k.jpg

It will be re-done because I'm not happy with the engraving. You can see the center dots in the 4's are not good at all. Its only a hole filler for now anyway- I don't plan on working on the actual mechanical gauge side of it until the side consoles are completed. I want to get it flyable!

Edited by romeokilo

Finished the Thrustmaster MFD brackets.

I can not find a small 3 position rotary for the off, night, day switch anywhere! Anyone got any links? I'm hunting something reasonably priced- no need for mil-spec.

I decided to leave them off for now- I'll put normal size rotary's on my sim-specific panel which is going on the lower pedestal.

37715856436_c48abd748e_k.jpg

The AHCP spacer is on. You can see why I'm doing another LG Handle with less of a bend in it. I'm also not happy with the smoothness of the mechanism so back to the drawing board.

37094024353_7d3490ac74_k.jpg

Version one of my fire handles. Still designing the pull mechanism so they are just jammed in the glare shield for the pic. Back-lit with two orange 3mm LEDs each.

37715856456_66e063a33a_k.jpg

HARS fast erect switch. AHCP spacer hides it completely from view, so I may make a spacer for it as well or move it completely. That and the fine engraving came out terrible- will be re done.

37715855856_89ac98f5e0_k.jpg

NMSP.

37764225221_5096daf734_k.jpg

You can also see in that pic how I plan on putting red back-lit OFF labels in place of the flags- I got that idea of someone in the forum (cant remember who or where I saw that).

Edited by romeokilo

That is a really nice pit you have got going there romeokilo :thumbup: Very nice indeed.

For the small 3-position rotary I have used these; http://www.mouser.dk/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=SRBV131803virtualkey68800000virtualkey688-SRBV131803

Small observation which may just be my eyes cheating me. The toggle switch on your NMSP looks like the one installed is a 3 position. Unless I am mistaken it only a 2-position.

Looking forward for more pictures on your build :thumbup:

Cheers

Hans

Please can I ask, and absolutely no disrespect to your fantastic work.

Folk are making panels but I havnt seen anyone making A-10 MFDs they just use the Thrustmaster ones?

You are all putting in heaps of effort, have the tools and capability to make them, but noone is?

Dont want to shift it off topic so will ask you direct, (with the greatest respect), Romeo, did you think of making your own MFDs and why didnt you?

Your pit is awesome btw.

I use Thrustmasters MFD too. It bugs me to see how tiny they look and all the space they leave around them BUT they work greatly and building a good replica would need 66 extra inputs, plus a complicated PCB and a lot of more work. In my case, that would be the final part in my pit to upgrade. I'll stick to the TM ones for a while...

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

I use Thrustmasters MFD too. It bugs me to see how tiny they look and all the space they leave around them BUT they work greatly and building a good replica would need 66 extra inputs, plus a complicated PCB and a lot of more work. In my case, that would be the final part in my pit to upgrade. I'll stick to the TM ones for a while...

Well, not that complicated. An Arduino MEGA and DCS-BIOS is all you need. Takes 5 minutes to configure :)

The Thrustmaser MFD's has 28 switches - and the MEGA board has 54 digital inputs. So either skip some of the (rarely used) buttons, or add an additional board (that can be used for other in-/output in the cockpit.

The A-10C MFDs require 10 more inputs than the TM for two extra rocker switch and two three position rotary selector for the OFF-Night-Day functions. If you want to implement backlit buttons then you're gonna need tactile switches and engrave/cut your own buttons. Those switches need to be installed in a square framed PCB just like in the TM MFDs

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

Well, not that complicated. An Arduino MEGA and DCS-BIOS is all you need. Takes 5 minutes to configure :)

The Thrustmaser MFD's has 28 switches - and the MEGA board has 54 digital inputs. So either skip some of the (rarely used) buttons, or add an additional board (that can be used for other in-/output in the cockpit.

I can't agree more.

Or you could use a switch matrix for the buttons. Real easy to build. And since it would be unlikely you would ever press 2 buttons at the same time, you could eliminate the need for diodes. I plan on using an UNO as an HID device with an 8x8 matrix for the MFCD frames. Thats just 16 pins for 8 rows/8 columns. I'm also thinking about using my existing TM MFCD frames and cannibalize them for the main PCB. Then I would have the plug and play feature of the TM boards.

But when you think of it, adding another board is not an issue even from a monetary perspective considering how little they cost and how much money we seem to devote to this hobby.:music_whistling:

Folk are making panels but I havnt seen anyone making A-10 MFDs they just use the Thrustmaster ones?

You are all putting in heaps of effort, have the tools and capability to make them, but noone is?

I am...or I should say I will be.:smilewink: I just haven't got that far yet. The trouble I'm having is finding displays that are large enough but also with a 4:3 aspect ratio so they don't end up stick out the sides of the MIP. These damned widescreen displays are almost the only format available nowadays unless you want to spend big bucks for semi custom screens. I also don't want to move forward on them until I actually have the screens in my hands. Once that happens it won't be long until I post pics of some fully functional, full scale MFCD's.

BTW, RK, I must say that your Obutto project was what inspired me to build my cockpit. Your method of using aluminum angle extrusions and having a single post to support the assembly is very similar to how I am building my side consoles. It was a very clean, simple and cost effective solution. And considering I wasn't planning on adding sides to my cockpit, it was the perfect way to add consoles that could actually swing out of the way.

I must also compliment you on your work to date. It looks great. You do very nice work.:thumbup:

John

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Well, you seem to be the first one to build my console ( besides myself and another guy)... You have done an excellent job! I'm almost jealous... ha

Keep up the good work and hopefully the plans made the project easier...

I drew up just the base front panel some time ago but haven't yet cut it out. I may just buy yours as it is complete with all the layers. I'm using Reactor1's switch panels. Do you know if they will they fit your front panel?

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I drew up just the base front panel some time ago but haven't yet cut it out. I may just buy yours as it is complete with all the layers. I'm using Reactor1's switch panels. Do you know if they will they fit your front panel?

Some might, but you really need to design your own or use Romeokilo's if decides to distribute what he has done.

That is a really nice pit you have got going there romeokilo :thumbup: Very nice indeed.

For the small 3-position rotary I have used these; http://www.mouser.dk/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=SRBV131803virtualkey68800000virtualkey688-SRBV131803

Small observation which may just be my eyes cheating me. The toggle switch on your NMSP looks like the one installed is a 3 position. Unless I am mistaken it only a 2-position.

Looking forward for more pictures on your build :thumbup:

Cheers

Hans

Thanks for the link. :thumbup:

I ordered two and changed up my MFD brackets to suit. Painted as well.

Oh and the NMSP is a two position toggle- Its just the angle of the photo.

37764232741_7bbf6447db_k.jpg

Please can I ask, and absolutely no disrespect to your fantastic work.

Dont want to shift it off topic so will ask you direct, (with the greatest respect), Romeo, did you think of making your own MFDs and why didnt you?

Your pit is awesome btw.

Thanks! No disrespect shown or taken mate.

As I said in my first post- I left the MFD holes in the MIP full size for a reason- I Intend to make my own MFD's!

Its on my to do list- but very far down it.

My main issue is PCB's- I don't know how to design or build them.

I will learn, but it will take me a while.

And when I do- CMSP, UFC and CDU (in that order). MFD's will probably be the last thing in the pit, because I have the thrustmasters that do the job almost perfectly.

And that is if I don't just forget about it and dive straight into an F/A-18C build.... (or did somebody say TOMCAT!!)

I can't agree more.

Or you could use a switch matrix for the buttons. Real easy to build. And since it would be unlikely you would ever press 2 buttons at the same time, you could eliminate the need for diodes. I plan on using an UNO as an HID device with an 8x8 matrix for the MFCD frames. Thats just 16 pins for 8 rows/8 columns. I'm also thinking about using my existing TM MFCD frames and cannibalize them for the main PCB. Then I would have the plug and play feature of the TM boards.

But when you think of it, adding another board is not an issue even from a monetary perspective considering how little they cost and how much money we seem to devote to this hobby.:music_whistling:

I am...or I should say I will be.:smilewink: I just haven't got that far yet. The trouble I'm having is finding displays that are large enough but also with a 4:3 aspect ratio so they don't end up stick out the sides of the MIP. These damned widescreen displays are almost the only format available nowadays unless you want to spend big bucks for semi custom screens. I also don't want to move forward on them until I actually have the screens in my hands. Once that happens it won't be long until I post pics of some fully functional, full scale MFCD's.

BTW, RK, I must say that your Obutto project was what inspired me to build my cockpit. Your method of using aluminum angle extrusions and having a single post to support the assembly is very similar to how I am building my side consoles. It was a very clean, simple and cost effective solution. And considering I wasn't planning on adding sides to my cockpit, it was the perfect way to add consoles that could actually swing out of the way.

I must also compliment you on your work to date. It looks great. You do very nice work.:thumbup:

John

I've got lots to learn with Arduino, matrixes etc etc.:book:

I opened up the thrustmasters with intent to put the guts of them into my own design- and immediately realized why nobody else has done it. The PCB and electronics inside are flimsy to say the least. Hacking them up like I planned would almost certainly result in their failure. I screwed them back together and went back to the drawing board.

Thanks Warhog- coming from you that means a lot.

Of note- the only reason I am building my own flaps, fuel and hyd guages are because of the results I have seen you were able to achieve! A lot of my panels and back lighting was designed after looking at yours.

I haven't tried, but I doubt Reactor1's panels will just bolt up.

It is very easy to open up Flims DXF files and edit them to fit your own panel designs. That's what I did.

Some might, but you really need to design your own or use Romeokilo's if decides to distribute what he has done.

I am happy to release them if anybody wants them, but they are certainly not replica A-10 stuff so I'm not sure why anybody would.

Great work on that console as well. I made some changes but it was mostly cosmetic. I've got the side consoles to do- and i anticipate the purchasing the seat later on down the track

:thumbup:

Onto the progress-

Simple Fire handle mechanisms done.

Still working on adding a spring clip to give it a distinct 'click' into position.

Also, sanding down the sharp edges, paint and switches.

23911180538_d852a2e9ed_k.jpg

23911178198_5ebf9e17bb_k.jpg

Right now its all broken down for paint. Second coat is done and drying overnight.

Sand and re-paint again a few more times before re-assembly in the coming days.

I'll put some pics up of painting progress tomorrow. :thumbup:

Edited by romeokilo
  • Like 1

Pulled apart ready for paint-

37764234791_3599ebd9f6_k.jpg

First Coat. I'll probably do about five coats. Bought a new Orbital Sander and a whole heap of 240 grit paper.

37764233481_c8b271ec7e_k.jpg

And I couldn't resist- an Aircraft interior style green in the hidden parts.

I figured it would keep the dust levels down on Electronics better than raw MDF, and it was also a color test for the green I had intended to use on the exposed ribs of the side consoles. I am not really happy with it so I think I will use a plain white on the ribs instead.

37094039653_b134ad089e_k.jpg

Edited by romeokilo

Paint done!

Painted with a roller and brush. Color is 'Moxa' from the Dulux 'Wash and Wear' line in Australia.

4 coats, sanded in between and the final coat through an airbrush.

Then I masked it all up, and the Glaresheild was sprayed with a Rustoleum matte black can.

I may break out the airbrush and do some shading and weathering later one down the track.

37764232291_fb0f0671db_k.jpg

37094038913_e5c80c34a2_k.jpg

Monitor fitted-

23911168988_91e0f058a5_k.jpg

And all the panels on.

I had to move the monitor slightly to the right so it would clear the rear of the landing gear lever mechanism. Because of that ill need to route a new path in the rear of the MIP to run the USB cable for the right thrustmaster, hence why its hanging out in the pics.

37094037033_0299bb4076_k.jpg

23911167688_d55a54daad_k.jpg

I mirrored the HARS fast erect switch to do a sim pause button. Plan is to hide a lot of the DCS controls in panels that are not used (TISL, the Monitor Test on the SAS panel etc etc). All sim stuff with be back lit in white rather than green to make it easy to identify.

37055106994_3d303caa1d_k.jpg

I haven't wired up any of the panels yet- but i started up a profile in Helios to get it running-

37505707550_b30b5928f9_k.jpg

I was worried about the thick bezel spacing from the monitor to some of my panels- I'm not now. I'm happy :thumbup:

Still lots to do though...

Edited by romeokilo

That looks amazing! I would love to have the time, tools, and patience to produce that level of quality. All of my wood work is on a garage floor using a circular saw, a jig saw, a drill, and a router with cinderblock and or wood scraps for supports.

I would like to do something like this, but in a way where the entire front panel/bezel can slide out and be replaced by panels for different kinds of aircraft, with a usb cable dangling for hooking up the controls.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]