Normandy - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #11
No.119_Bruv (VK-B)

WW2 DCS is building some momentum what with the Jug, channel map, new Damage model and hopefully the Mossie coming this year. The Storm of War server and LFDM give two good but slightly different MP environments. Plenty to shoot at in regards to targets. No better time than a Spring / Self Isolation sale to get some of the modules half price. If you like to turnfight get the Spit and 109k4. If your slightly weak at the knees and prefer Bnz, get the P51D or 190 Dora.

The mission editor is great, see some YT vids from ancient gamer / suntsag
No.119_Bruv (VK-B) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:37 PM   #12
tintifaxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Thanks. Are there occasional or bundle sales? This as buying of individual planes can be a costly affair then .... B17 in Normandy; is it flyable or Ai only?

Map for Normandy: is the the max covered area?:

B-17 is AI only.

Consider this: ATM WW2 combat is lacking profoundly due to mimatched planes, rudimentary dm, ai that has a very simplified flight model with unlimited energy, post ww2 atc and radio comms.

But: The planes you can buy are fantastic to learn and fly. And I have high hopes DCS WW2 will eventually get there.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #13
Silver_Dragon
DCS Ground Crew

B-17 has only a AI unit of WW2 assets pack, all WW2 molules has been added to DCS as AI units without charge nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
B-17 is AI only. Consider this: ATM WW2 combat is lacking profoundly due to mimatched planes, rudimentary dm, ai that has a very simplified flight model with unlimited energy, post ww2 atc and radio comms.
- Mismatched airplanes by DCS WW2 coming from a KickStarted build by a 3rd party with no centred on a WWII specific period, without take only a number of random aircrafts previously ED rescue them.

- Rudimentary DM only on AI units, with coming from Lomac times and ED has using WW2 aircrafts as testbed to build advanced damage model near to release them on incoming mounts and after, export them to modern air, land and sea units.

Quote:
Another new feature of DCS World 2.5.6 will be the initial release of the improved damage system for the WWII fighters in DCS. As we have discussed in prior newsletters, this system includes a complex and realistic accounting of damage to aircraft systems, round trajectory and penetration, deflection, and localized damage. We have also added substantially enhanced visual damage effects that include missing structural components, fuel and hydraulic leaks. The new damage model will provide a much more engrossing and realistic experience.

Once we and our clients are happy with the warbirds damage model system, we will implement this new damage modelling to the more modern aircraft, ground units, and naval units.

- AI has not simplified flight models (that using the same module flight modules), has AI pilots with always has using the aircrats at limit of capabilities and not have fatige, G effects and other issues. ED expected change them in a future.

Quote:
Aircraft Artificial Intelligence (AI)
In 2019 we made initial improvements to the dogfight AI that delivers more realistic and human behaviour, this also includes implementation of modern control theory Necessary Condition Analysis (NCA) and Incremental Nonlinear Dynamic Inversion (INDI) to all our AI aircraft in DCS in 2020. The new approach will extend flight envelopes and improve AI control quality and control response in mass and moment of inertia changes. In 2020 we will continue this effort, but also devote resources to improve other AI areas to include:
Beyond Visual Range (BVR) offensive and defensive behaviour
Formation keeping and correct use of external lights
Air-to-Ground attack maneuvers
Very-low level flight and terrain following
Defensive threat responses (SAM and AAA)
- ATC has not issue of WW2, has a feature in progress to improve on DCS, with some steeps on progress on Supercarrier and future base ATC to convert them on a better experience. About radio comms, has a DCS feature in progress to update as the ATC.

Quote:
Airfield Air Traffic Control (ATC)
Another AI task that we will kick off in 2020 is a new implementation of ATC radio communications for airfields. This will be a more realistic and complete ATC system to account for ground, tower, departure, and approach controllers, as well as account for variables that include VRF/IFR and overhead/straight in.

We will be working with subject matter experts to ensure that this new ATC system is a valuable addition to DCS World immersion and enjoyment.

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...91#post4076891
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Silver_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:38 PM   #14
tintifaxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Dragon View Post

Good explanation why things are as they are and that ED is working on the shortcomings.

My point is: if you just love to fly the warbirds (as I do) absolutely go ahead, if you want to "experience" ww2 air combat take the shortcomings into account.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #15
=JUICE=

Hi JackD, I would wait until the Easter sale coming up and pick up both of them as a bundle for a discount. You can fly the TF-51D for free but take a look at what WWII Airplanes you want...I currently only fly the P-51D and Spitfire from the era.

You can likely pick this up for $30 US on the sale.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...s_pack_bundle/
Old 03-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #16
chrisgibon

This map is completely void: It is far too rough in too many places. An example, I live in Normandy next to Longue sur mer, but where are the four bunkers gone with their 150 mm guns ???
chrisgibon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #17
muehlema

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgibon View Post
This map is completely void: It is far too rough in too many places. An example, I live in Normandy next to Longue sur mer, but where are the four bunkers gone with their 150 mm guns ???

I added the Normandy batteries in my template ;-)

I've been to Normandy 3 weeks last summer :-)
Win10-x64 | ASUS Z270E ROG STRIX | Intel i7-7700K @4.5GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S
muehlema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #18
chrisgibon

Happy to learn that but, I'm afraid that to have a realistic map of Normandy, we will have to wait for that of IL2 BON ;-)
chrisgibon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #19
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgibon View Post
Happy to learn that but, I'm afraid that to have a realistic map of Normandy, we will have to wait for that of IL2 BON ;-)
Yeah, wait for a map done by Ugramedia and it'll be better than what we already have…

S!
Old 03-27-2020, 03:08 PM   #20
bephanten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
Yeah, wait for a map done by Ugramedia and it'll be better than what we already have…

S!
normandy map was done by ugramedia.
bephanten is offline   Reply With Quote