25 February was one of the worst days of my life! - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #41
imacken

Reputation power: 1
imacken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David OC View Post
I understand your frustration there imacken, lol.

What rudder pedals do you have? I’m using Saitek combat pedals; I would like some MFG Crosswinds would be nice at some point. Just making sure you’re not trying to do all the necessary actions on a twist stick, flying like this would make it twice as hard to land the spitfire or any ww2 plane and would take much more practise.

Number 1) This is correct and is what I use, I stay around 90 mph flying over the runway threshold.

Let’s go back a bit now before the runway threshold and talk about the initial setup, you have to have the aircraft completely trimmed out well or very close to level flight at around this 90 mph speed (plenty of up trim), you should be able to lightly hold the controls in your fingertips. Then only making slight adjustments and slowly sinking down to the runway when you think you’re about one meter or 3 foot off the runway slowly bring a little of the power back and try to hold the aircraft level, let her mini stall and drop herself onto the runway.
I am using the pedals from my G27 Logitech wheel. Unfortunately, I can't blame them.
I've come to the conclusion that I am doing something fundamentally wrong, and just repeating it over and over despite my attempts to mimic what all you guys do in the videos and give me advice.
It honestly has become an unhealthy situation, I have become quite obsessed by this whole landing thing. As I said above, I am going away for a few days and will be happy to not see this plane again till the end of next week.
I think until someone looks at what I am doing wrong - Krupi next week? - I am giving up.
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #42
Whisper

Reputation power: 13
Whisper has a spectacular aura aboutWhisper has a spectacular aura aboutWhisper has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
I am using the pedals from my G27 Logitech wheel. Unfortunately, I can't blame them.
I've come to the conclusion that I am doing something fundamentally wrong, and just repeating it over and over despite my attempts to mimic what all you guys do in the videos and give me advice.
It honestly has become an unhealthy situation, I have become quite obsessed by this whole landing thing. As I said above, I am going away for a few days and will be happy to not see this plane again till the end of next week.
I think until someone looks at what I am doing wrong - Krupi next week? - I am giving up.
Honestly, your hardware can make things go completely wrong even if it seems fine. Different hardware (using different axis for brakes, changing curves.. ) setups gave me completely opposite results in the spit. A very little detail can change anything. So I would not blame the pilot so much after this number of attempts. This may well be a controller problem.
Did you experiment with curves? Try changing them for rudder, roll & pitch. Also try different placement of the brake axis.
I guess the way it was setup in real spit made everything smooth and natural. It's not the case for us in DCS. After several hours of training (phase which you already got through), then controller setup experiments, it suddenly completely kicked in for me.
And like you I couldn't possibly blame my hardware, it's a MFG Crosswind and x55, you can't say it's because of bad controller with THAT hardware . When I point at controller, it's not to say that your hardware is bad or badly suited, but that the axis setup doesn't fit what the spit needs, and what you need so that it feels natural.

Last edited by Whisper; 03-25-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #43
OnlyforDCS

Reputation power: 11
OnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
I can land the Mustang OK, so I don't really get what is going wrong.
Hmmm. I think this could be at the root of your problem. I've found that the Spit behaves very differently from the Mustang right before touchdown.

I find that the Spit is actually much easier to bring down for a nice three pointer than the Stang. Once it's on the ground and slowing down then the problems start, but you don't seem to be having problems on the rollout.

You mentioned a bouncing problem, are you sure you're not trying to land wheelers in the Spit?
(Two-point landings). I strongly reccomend you stick to three pointers in the Spit.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:06 AM   #44
Perfesser

Reputation power: 0
Perfesser is on a distinguished road

When you use flaps on approach you have a much higher sink rate than without. Use no flap have the stick almost full back at touchdown then get on the brakes.
Perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote