Huey Down Mission

Black-Hawk-Down-Wallpaper-black-hawk-down-38824228-1440-1152.jpg

Name: Huey Down

Author: R3DL1N3

Mission Type: MP (NTTR)

Controllable: UH-1H/Gazelle 342L/CA

Full Brief: Ode to Black Hawk Down, where UH-1H replaces Black Hawk and 342L replaces MH-6 Little Bird. Set in the Nevada map.

Atto: “I see not catching Aidid is becoming routine.”

Garrison: “We’re not leaving Somalia until we find him. And we will find him.”

Atto: “Don’t make the mistake of thinking because I grew up without running water I am simple General. I do know something about history. See all this? It’s simply shaping tomorrow. A tomorrow without a lot of Arkansas white–boys’ ideas in it.”

Garrison: “Well, I wouldn’t know about that. I’m from Texas.”

Atto: “Mr. Garrison, I think you should not have come here. This is civil war. This is our war, not yours.”

“Only the dead have seen the end of war.” Plato.

1. Pay off our Somali spy, Abdi. Deliver Khat, dollars or shillings from the airport to his yard, north–east end of Mogadishu. Red smoke will mark the site.

2. Abdi will drive his car to where Aidid’s top political advisors are secretly meeting today: Omar Salad, Aidid’s top political advisor, and Abdi Hassan Awale, Interior Minister. Capture or kill them. Abdi will mark their location with green smoke.

3. At that moment, Lt. Colonel Matthews will give the assault code word, “Irene.” McNight’s Humvee column Uniform 6 will converge at the location. Super 6 and Star 4 flights will drop Rangers and Delta operators respectively to capture or kill the targets. Embark them at the airport, just by landing and opening the cockpit door nearby a chalk or fireteam; disembark the same way, land and open the door. Star 4 flight will support with 20mm cannon and 68mm rockets.

4. All units return safely to Mogadishu Airport.

Download Link: Here

Full Brief and Discussion Thread: Here

Author and Misc Info: Designed by Redline, Kez and Nrgized

Edited by R3DL1N3

Commit Aviation!

Thanks Scrape. Good point. I'll update the mission description to reflect that. I reckon it'll take at least three good chopper pilots and some combined-arms coordination to achieve success. It aims at a simulation of what Mogadishu might have been like in 1993. It's the "ragged edge" of virtual aviation, as Kez puts it.

Tactics

1. You'll need at least three good chopper pilots skilled with Hueys and Gazelles.
  2. Hueys transport eight–man highly–skilled Ranger chalks. Gazelles transport excellently–skilled four–man Delta operator fireteams. Deploy them wisely.
  3. Protect McKnight’s convoy. Rescue survivors if Hueys go down. Look out for flare pops.
  4. The Somalis swarm. They carry mobile phones and hate Arkansas white boys. Tire fires tell you where they're heading.

Edited by R3DL1N3

Commit Aviation!

Version 0.3

I've posted an update. See the Download link. Main difference: you embark and disembark by opening the door. Aidid's tier-1 advisors appear at a random location within the centre of Mogadishu. Abdi does not make a green smoke marker when he arrives there. Players get scores for hits, kills, crashes, ejections, etc.

Edited by R3DL1N3

Commit Aviation!

• 1 month later...
I've posted an update. See the Download link. Main difference: you embark and disembark by opening the door. Aidid's tier-1 advisors appear at a random location within the centre of Mogadishu. Abdi does not make a green smoke marker when he arrives there. Players get scores for hits, kills, crashes, ejections, etc.

Quick question....when I am hosting this game over MP, I keep getting LUA errors on the screen, I think it is related to the recordings and trigger sounds...for example, we deliver the bribe but we never get the codeword IRENE and the convoy does not move...I get the LUA errors. The Rangers and Delta appear and I can start droppping them off to the firefight.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks in advance

Quick question....when I am hosting this game over MP, I keep getting LUA errors on the screen, I think it is related to the recordings and trigger sounds...for example, we deliver the bribe but we never get the codeword IRENE and the convoy does not move...I get the LUA errors. The Rangers and Delta appear and I can start droppping them off to the firefight.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks in advance

First thing I'm wondering: are you running v0.5? I did discover scoring issues with early versions. The game attempts to assign scores based on hits. Hitting non-coalition objects needed handling correctly.

The Khat needs dropping off in Abdi's backyard. I've been wondering for a while if the zone is too small, or the payload is too heavy. Or both.

Maybe I could fly it with your squad to iron out any kinks in the scripting or the game play. It's a pretty tough mission. The Khat-infused Somalis are fierce fighters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commit Aviation!

First thing I'm wondering: are you running v0.5? I did discover scoring issues with early versions. The game attempts to assign scores based on hits. Hitting non-coalition objects needed handling correctly.

The Khat needs dropping off in Abdi's backyard. I've been wondering for a while if the zone is too small, or the payload is too heavy. Or both.

Maybe I could fly it with your squad to iron out any kinks in the scripting or the game play. It's a pretty tough mission. The Khat-infused Somalis are fierce fighters!

Thanks

We are running the latest version, we drop off the bribe to Abdi and the car starts moving bur once he gets to the target house we never get the codeword Irene and the convoy does not move.

Also i was flying a Huey and for some reason i could not load any troops but the other two guys could.

Am wondering if my system is missing files or i have the prpblems because i am hosting the multiplayer session?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Okay. I think I know what it is. I need to make Abdi "invisible!" Not literally. Invisible to AI. What might be happening is that the AI does not drive his car far enough to reach the trigger zone. Let me have a test flight or two. See if I can't make him a bit more reliable ;-)

Commit Aviation!

No, we all flew the Hueys to the Rangers, the only one unsuccessful was me....really strange...i was in the same spot as the others. I might try the Gazelle and collect the Delta operators and see if they work for me...but why would it work for then and not me? Am truly wondering if my system is missing something

Forgot to mention the log file has lots of errors with sound files and LUA....we will try it again this week with someone else hosting and we will see if the same thing happens

No, we all flew the Hueys to the Rangers, the only one unsuccessful was me....really strange...i was in the same spot as the others. I might try the Gazelle and collect the Delta operators and see if they work for me...but why would it work for then and not me? Am truly wondering if my system is missing something

Mmm. That is very strange. I did test that any Huey can load a chalk. I'll test it out again just to be sure. No reason it wouldn't work for you; not unless there's some damage on your installation. The mission relies on identifying the chopper as type UH-1. Maybe it doesn't match. Very odd.

Commit Aviation!

Forgot to mention the log file has lots of errors with sound files and LUA....we will try it again this week with someone else hosting and we will see if the same thing happens

Yea. That's not right.

Commit Aviation!

Yea. That's not right.

By the way, you can repair DCS using, from the command line in the DCS binary folder: dcs_updater.exe repair

Might be worth running that command.

Commit Aviation!

Posted an update just now, version 0.6. Changes as follows:

• Abdi is "invisible" to AI.
  • Give Uniform 6 and the Technicals a speed of 20mph
  • Never assume that there is an event initiator; even when logically there should be

Commit Aviation!

Thanks, will download now.

Just a question, if we change the loadout of a Huey to be a clean "slick" to make it easier to carry the sling load, this doesnt affect the triggers as long as the Huey has not changed name, correct?

Thanks, will download now.

Just a question, if we change the loadout of a Huey to be a clean "slick" to make it easier to carry the sling load, this doesnt affect the triggers as long as the Huey has not changed name, correct?

You can freely change the load out. It's only the helicopter type that matters, for loading chalks or fireteams. And that won't change. I've adjusted the load out myself. Added rockets.

Sling loading Abdi's cargo is tricky. Keep the governor on emergency and approach up-wind. It can be done even with all the mini guns.

Commit Aviation!

• 3 months later...
You can freely change the load out. It's only the helicopter type that matters, for loading chalks or fireteams. And that won't change. I've adjusted the load out myself. Added rockets.

Sling loading Abdi's cargo is tricky. Keep the governor on emergency and approach up-wind. It can be done even with all the mini guns.

We just tried with the latest version of DCS 2.1 and the mission keeps crashing in Multiplayer. Has anyone else got this problem?

We just tried with the latest version of DCS 2.1 and the mission keeps crashing in Multiplayer. Has anyone else got this problem?

I tried it on an earlier version of 2.1, and decided that the version was too raw to test the mission with, e.g. the Rangers were moving and firing but their bodies were frozen. Looked to me like the network code was in a state of flux.

I'll do some testing today with the latest update to see where we're at. Will let you know.

Commit Aviation!

Just posted version 0.9 with fixes for DCS 2.1.1.8491 (Update 2).

I've tried to strike a balance between battle intensity and AI overload. Too many Somalis make the AI engine grind to a halt. I've added a re-cycling feature where Somali mobsters that end up far away from the battle line return home for more Khat. They disappear in doors; only to spring up somewhere else later, pumped up and ready for the fight with those “Arkansas white–boys.”

Commit Aviation!

Just posted version 0.9 with fixes for DCS 2.1.1.8491 (Update 2).

I've tried to strike a balance between battle intensity and AI overload. Too many Somalis make the AI engine grind to a halt. I've added a re-cycling feature where Somali mobsters that end up far away from the battle line return home for more Khat. They disappear in doors; only to spring up somewhere else later, pumped up and ready for the fight with those “Arkansas white–boys.”

Fantastic, thanks for the work. Just found that in my system, reducing gamma to 1.2 gives me a big fps boost. Will try this mission on the weekend.

Thanks again