30mm gun - recoil - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 11:16 PM   #51
sgtmike74

Reputation power: 7
sgtmike74 will become famous soon enoughsgtmike74 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakum View Post
Funny, last night I had the opportunity to attack 3 humvee's with minimal threats, I started at 3 km and had to work myself in to about 1.5 km to actually get a hit on them. I was using very short burst so I would not have to fuss much with the torque. I tried elevations between about 400 down to about 80. Turn on target and moving target both on

Hi Fakum, I wouldn't think about engaging until I was within 2km with the cannon (HE), and 1.5km for (AP). Slow rate of fire and a steady platform, either stationary or steadily moving . I would also do a final lase just before I fired if you closed the space at all.

You could go high rate and start firing from further out but you are wasting ammo that could be used to kill more targets.
sgtmike74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 PM   #52
Cik

Reputation power: 4
Cik has a spectacular aura aboutCik has a spectacular aura aboutCik has a spectacular aura aboutCik has a spectacular aura about

closing to 2km~ is often a suicide mission.

3.5~ allows reasonable accuracy while maintaining standoff against hidden shilkas.
Cik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:13 AM   #53
sgtmike74

Reputation power: 7
sgtmike74 will become famous soon enoughsgtmike74 will become famous soon enough

It really depends on what targets are out there and using the right weapon for the right threat, all the while only using the minimum number of rounds to make a kill.

The other side of the coin, is don't rush in and make sure you did a good scan of the area before committing.

Some targets that are an excellent candidate for the cannon would be BTRs, BRDM, infantry (non MANPADS) etc.

You shouldn't waste more than 8 rounds per target.
sgtmike74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #54
Rogue Trooper

Reputation power: 8
Rogue Trooper has a spectacular aura aboutRogue Trooper has a spectacular aura aboutRogue Trooper has a spectacular aura aboutRogue Trooper has a spectacular aura aboutRogue Trooper has a spectacular aura about

Soft targets (Humvees, trucks, Sam and AA) can be destroyed at 3 Km or more with the Kannon and with a stable, solid Hover.
Foot troops can be killed at 4Km with a short and slow burst when in a solid, stable hover. Aim at their feet with smallest box setting.
As soon as you are in forward flight your accuracy will drop off.
For moving targets I lock the engine or headlights for better results in target tracking.

Soft targets love HE rounds.

A solid stable Hover and a Slow rate of fire in short bursts is the key to improving accuracy at long range. It reduces vibration and rotation of the Chopper. The targeting computer is doing a good job of compensating for fire but even a quarter of a degree of movement at the Gun/Chopper will produce a huge error 3 km down range. The targeting computer can only react to shots being fired where as you can predict when and how you will fire.

Some troop carriers have thicker armour and require more energy to penetrate their armour, so there is a need to maintain the bullets velocity at impact, so here a closer engagement of around 2Km is more desirable.

Last edited by Rogue Trooper; 03-22-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Rogue Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #55
Fakum

Reputation power: 13
Fakum is a jewel in the roughFakum is a jewel in the roughFakum is a jewel in the roughFakum is a jewel in the roughFakum is a jewel in the roughFakum is a jewel in the rough

I have to agree with the short bursts and a stable platform,,,thats my experience so far anyway. But I'm no pro! Just trying to make it effective and efficient, and do it at a safe enough distance, not shot of a long burst and watch 1 or 2 out of 100 come close, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the feedback all.
Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 MOBO / Intel i5 2500K 3.3GHz (Overclocked to 4.8 GHz) / G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB XMP Ram / Sandisk 480GB SATA III SSD / EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid/ Onboard Realtek High Definition Audio card / Creative Inspire 5.1 Surround Speakers/ Primary Monitor =30” HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 / Secondary Monitor = Acer 23" Touch Screen for Helios / TrackIR4 / Cougar HOTAS w/Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

Fakum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #56
Rogue Trooper

Reputation power: 8
Rogue Trooper has a spectacular aura aboutRogue Trooper has a spectacular aura aboutRogue Trooper has a spectacular aura aboutRogue Trooper has a spectacular aura aboutRogue Trooper has a spectacular aura about

Generally if you want to snipe you gotta do as the sniper does.
A stable platform in which to shoot from and the minimum rounds (+ pedal compensation at hammer drop).... Sweet!

You go running in spraying, then you gotta hope lady luck is with you.
Rogue Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote