Flying this has been the most frustrating experience of my life, any tips? - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #61
Victory205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaogen View Post
I’ve read that sticky many times, along with this board for a few months. Reading it and practicing it are, alas different things. I liken it to my experience with Kerbal Space Program. Even after 5 years of Mech Eng school and what felt like all the Newtonian, dynamics and kinematics equitations in existence, I didn’t “get” Orbital Mechanics until years later playing KSP and seeing it visually represented.

Besides, I’ve only done 3 ACM hops. I keep getting sucked into target fixation. So for sure just practice and learning to temper myself on the stick. More Iceman. Less Maverick.
Best explanation of this phenomenon that I've seen...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KSP vs Orbital Mechanics Degree.png
Views:	116
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	206457  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #62
Emmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Henry View Post
Even if you have flown in real life, it can be tough to get it right in a sim. I'm a decent enough helicopter pilot IRL (for a tiltrotor guy), but I cannot and will not fly helicopters in a PC sim. Tactile feedback and "seat of the pants" is just so much a crucial part of VFR flying that we just won't have until brain-computer interface VR becomes a thing.
Truth...

PP-ASEL here.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php
High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.
www.crosswindimages.com
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #63
Victory205

Agree, in many ways, it is more difficult in the sim.

I was referencing the poster who essential said that the F14 was easier than he thought.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #64
Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP View Post
One thing I noticed immediately is that the HUD symbology is very misleading if you look at it from the perspective of modern HUDs with their dynamic flight path markers. At first I was treating the bore sight line as an FPM and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't maintain level flight. It was then that I realized that putting that dot at 0 pitch angle almost never actually results in level flight. Instead you need to get comfortable looking at the vertical velocity ladder on the left and constantly trimming to zero it out.
Great point with the vertical velocity vector.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #65
sze5003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Great point with the vertical velocity vector.
I was doing the same thing. Also notice how when you climb the pitch ladder bars move slowly compared to modern huds? I thought it was my PC lagging in VR with this module but I think it's normal.
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:31 PM   #66
Victory205

Don't try to fly using the HUD. Keep telling you FBW HUD cripples, but the F14A/B HUD is not designed as a primary flight instrument. It lags, jitters and will lead you down an error ridden path.

Learn the pitch attitudes and power for your desired configuration and flight path.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:35 PM   #67
Chaogen

And I agree Sims can’t fully prepare you for Real Life and Vice Versa. There are fundamental differences on each side. No real forces or peripheral vision in Sim. But the experience will change your expectations for the other side. My commentary about having flown 6-Pack GA A/C is in regards to the lack of digital information displays in the Tomcat. I learned on circa 60/70’s Cessna and Pipers, which are a far cry from the G1000 generation planes and pilots today. Like Victory said somewhere else, it’s Analog watches VS Digital. Although nothing is quite like the C172B I flew for a while where your vacuum pump is a venturi tube, so NO instruments till you are pretty much in the air.

All of which is in regard to a lot of disillusioned posts I’m reading about lack of MFDs and Complex HUDs impacting their Airmanship. In that regard the F-15, 18, Harrier and A-10C would not have prepared you for accurately flying the Tomcat, and may have disproportionately skewed your expectations, although coincidentally, non of it diminishes the ability of the airframe.

My only disillusionment with the F-14 is the Pilot Cockpit feels much smaller in VR than I imagined.
Chaogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #68
Nexus-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory205 View Post
Don't try to fly using the HUD. Keep telling you FBW HUD cripples, but the F14A/B HUD is not designed as a primary flight instrument. It lags, jitters and will lead you down an error ridden path.

Learn the pitch attitudes and power for your desired configuration and flight path.
Having to break myself of all those bad habits the Hornet module taught me.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #69
Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by sze5003 View Post
I was doing the same thing. Also notice how when you climb the pitch ladder bars move slowly compared to modern huds? I thought it was my PC lagging in VR with this module but I think it's normal.
Heatblur simulated the fps with the hud That's what it was like back then so that's how we get it

Early on people were asking will they make it the same etc.

Listening to the wealth of knowledge on hear from real pilots they didn't rely to heavily on the hud for the same reason. It wasn't fast enough.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #70
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Heatblur simulated the fps with the hud That's what it was like back then so that's how we get it
Honestly that level of attention to detail really sets HB apart...