Flying this has been the most frustrating experience of my life, any tips? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #21
SonofEil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory205 View Post
Turn off the HUD.
Ha, I already planned on doing exactly that when I get home tonight, but do you happen to know the actual reason that +5 is the horizon reference? Was it unintentional or was there some hidden, misguided logic? It's just very bizarre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory205 View Post
Quite interesting to see the difficulty the FBW pilots are having with a natural stability platform.
Oh I'm having a blast with the flight model and it's not that difficult at all. The fbw guys just don't know what trim really is yet and that their hands need to be on the controls at all times. I've obviously never flown a F-14 but you're correct that the DCS version is obliquely reminiscent of some GA platforms.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:10 PM   #22
zcrazyx

I love the cat so far! coming from prop aircraft i would say it might be closer in terms of flying to a prop then a jet, definitely need stick and rudder skill which is very hard to come by in a sim as you cant rely on your internal compass (so to speak) to help indicate when certain controls are needed, I say that as some aircraft have very benign stalls or hard ones to notice, the Mig 19 being one of them, if you fly at 260kmh in a straight line, but if you decend and try to recover with no power change it goes into an accelerated stall, the tomcat appears to do the same.

I would say the best way to maybe learn the tomcat is to actually fly the TF51 and do some hard manauvers to build stick and rudder skill on a non fbw aircraft. Or simply to nail doing approaches on a land based runway and build up time flying.

Remember that it takes months of training for pilots in the military to get passed their tests and to fly the bird perfectly, safely and to its highest potential.
zcrazyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #23
Victory205

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofEil View Post
Ha, I already planned on doing exactly that when I get home tonight, but do you happen to know the actual reason that +5 is the horizon reference? Was it unintentional or was there some hidden, misguided logic? It's just very bizarre.

Oh I'm having a blast with the flight model and it's not that difficult at all. The fbw guys just don't know what trim really is yet and that their hands need to be on the controls at all times. I've obviously never flown a F-14 but you're correct that the DCS version is obliquely reminiscent of some GA platforms.
Don't know. It works if you negate the outside world, but isn't meant for flying anyway. We all turned it off for landing. Heatblur got it right, I posted an image I took of what it looked like on deck. I don't think the forum software will allow me to post it twice here.

I would turn the HUD off for non combat ops for now, just to force yourself to use the VDI.

It's like how so many high school kids currently do not understand how to read an analog clock. The answer is to quit fighting it, and learn to do it.

The Blue Angels use an analog clock for timing maneuvers, as do we in timing approaches and push times. Once you do it, you'll understand the value of a sweep second hand.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:30 PM   #24
DartzIRL

One of the sole advantages of the xbox controller is that rudder work is easy enough.

It's a lot like the Mig-21 in terms of difficulty. Maybe a little easier to land. But with much the same propensity for wandering off when you want to check the F-10 map - and without the 'Just fly straight and level' button on the stick.

The hardest part I've found so far is the Jester menu. It doesn't map to an Xbox controller stick yet. That'd be dead ****ing handy if it did.

Tomcat also has something vanishingly rare these days. Useful DLC that's available on launch.... EA would charge for that ****ing thumbwheel.

It's definitely not the hardest plane to fly in the game. It seems to settle into the e-bracket easier than the Hornet for me. It's just that it'll wander a lot more on you if you don't watch it.

But if you want something that likes to go off on its own try flying the K4, or Spitfire. Especially the K4 which has pitch trim - but you're always at the nose-down limit unless you're landing it. Anything that isn't a Hornet or a Mirage needs to be trimmed to keep going - the Tomcat is no different.

If you want to learn the true value of Trim, take up a TF-51 and trim in three axis to let it fly itself. Until you change pitch, or throttle, or more fuel burns one side....

Last edited by DartzIRL; 03-14-2019 at 11:34 PM.
DartzIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:34 PM   #25
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimbal View Post
I'm currently using a t16000m FCS.
So no rudder pedals... That could be part of the issue. I assume its a twisty stick?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:35 PM   #26
Harlikwin

I could also post a track of how to land an F14 the absolutely wrong way, but it does work in the sim... Point Cat at wires, hope for the best... It would probably look like a giant fireball IRL....
Old 03-14-2019, 11:38 PM   #27
Pikey
Veteran

It's easier to fly than the Hornet, just harder to point and not forgiving at all. Those DLC are so handy for correcting the descent path without upsetting your trim, i love them, they are my new favourite thing, I wish I had a wheel rather than two buttons. The pitch ladder is trying to kill me and I can't lower my seat, in VR it feels like i'm pointing down and it's taking the longest adjustment. Finding the back seat way more frustrating.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:40 PM   #28
METEOP

Funny, I went for a few circuits this morning (not on a carrier mind you) and found the bird incredibly stable and pretty easy to fly, like a sportscar.

The speed is mind boggling though! Had to pull way back on the throttle for low speed maneuvering.

With my rig, trackIR and a 100" diagonal projector screen, I have great situational awareness.... maybe that's the reason?

Not looking at instruments at all I was able to nail the landing on my very first try.

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 16Gb RAM, M.2 SSD
Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator
METEOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:06 AM   #29
Gimbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
So no rudder pedals... That could be part of the issue. I assume its a twisty stick?

I understand trim pedals are ideal but the aircraft shouldn't be unflyable with a twist stick. Imprecise? Sure. Unusable though? That would suck.
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:18 AM   #30
SandMan23

Well after spending my first 2 days with new "Kitty", I must admit she is beyond amazing. Besides being gorgeous inside and out, took my first dusk flight in the desert tonight (internal lighting - night Hud and VDI filter on) and WOW! Just gorgeous!

As far as flight characteristics go, quickly learned that you can't muscle her - and yank her around - the stick is not your ****. She is very predictable and communicates her moves well if you pay attention. I have found as with pushing any performance machine near the envelope - Smooth - coordinated inputs are key.

I enjoy the raw power, acceleration, climb and turn rates (spoiled now for when I go back and fly my Bug - which stands out in her own right). The standoff capability of the radar and Phoenix are fun, but today I forced myself to iron out my settings on the new ThrustMaster TPR pedals and perform guns only fights. I am hooked - correct rudder inputs along with a light touch on the stick produce great turn rates and energy efficiency which combined with my ability to kick in the overdrive and extend a bit when necessary make me understand why this bird was built and feared.

Loving every minute of it...quirks, creaks, rattles - analog and all!
SandMan23 is offline   Reply With Quote