Flying this has been the most frustrating experience of my life, any tips? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
Gimbal

Unhappy Flying this has been the most frustrating experience of my life, any tips?

I love the F-14 and I'm certainly no stranger to DCS or flight simulation in general. I've flown many modules and high fidelity add-on aircraft throughout the years and nothing has given me as much trouble as this.

I've been doing nothing but fighting with the aircraft when it comes to controlling it, maintaining speed, altitude, etc

Maybe it's an over-reliance on modern HUDs or poor airman-ship in general but there are some very basic things I'm struggling with and just can't seem to wrap my head around despite hours of practice. I've watched a ton of videos but these are mostly on how to interpret the systems and procedures "Make sure you're at 800 feet by X" and not really "Here's the proper way to descend in a turn and maintain 800 feet".

-Getting the aircraft level is a pain, or even just descending and ascending, I'll be going down at a decent vert-speed, touch the throttle a little bit and now oh look I'm descending faster, or even climbing, or anything but what I want to do.

-The same issue for maintaining a speed, this is a little bit better but coupled with the altitude issue it's just extremely hard because if I touch my speed or even breath too hard the aircraft is going to do something I don't want it to do.

-The on-speed AOA is really confusing, maybe I'm looking at it too much from a hornet perspective, but I can't find any resources that explain it. "It says I'm slow so I'll speed up, annnd not I'm at +30 degrees."

I'm really doing my best to hang in there and doing everything I can to teach myself, but not being able to accomplish basic tasks such as holding an attitude and speed, climbing or descending and maintaining an altitude is really discouraging, much less doing these things in a turn or such.

I have no idea what I'm doing so wrong but I'm fighting on the edge of just not being able to control the aircraft sometimes. I can always get it to do generally what I want, climb, descend, increase speed or decrease speed etc, but doing any of this with accuracy is absolutely destroying me, especially with a pretty lengthy flight-sim background.
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
A Hamburgler

More flight time. The jet just came out yesterday give your self more time to fly it. I find getting the jet level to be no harder then the av8b, don’t have an issue with maintaining speed and pulled off some nice landings with good AOA. So again just give it more time. You might be over thinking it too not sure but when ever I do anything like trimming or messing with the throttle to maintain AOA wait a couple seconds before making more adjustments.

MCGM - Massive Combat Game Mode A dynamic campaign for MP/SP

Last edited by A Hamburgler; 03-14-2019 at 08:00 PM.
A Hamburgler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #3
Gimbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hamburgler View Post
More flight time. The jet just came out yesterday give your self more time to fly it. I find getting the jet level to be no harder then the av8b, don’t have an issue with maintaining speed and pulled off some nice landings with good AOA. So again just give it more time. You might be over thinking it too not sure but when ever I do anything like trimming or messing with the throttle to maintain AOA wait a couple seconds before making more adjustments.

Thanks I'll give it some time. It's just rough, it seems like most people, yourself included have picked it up fairly easily, or can at least do the basics.
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
Steve Gee

Fly the on-shore landing practice mission, then touch and go it a few times, going all the way back to the start/approach to the field.

It will get you started on the path to understanding the F-14's AoA and how it works. If you forget what he told you during the touch and goes, restart the mission.

Practice makes perfect I always heard.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
Jester986

Also getting online with some people who like to helping out is great way to learn. Browse some of the squadrons and see if any might help you out.
Jester986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
CaptJodan

Yeah, I'll echo the sentiment that it's only day 2. There are people out there who somehow magically know how to do it all first day, but not everyone does.

But also, trim trim trim. I'm thinking of having to put the trim on a different controller than I normally do because this this is such a trim-happy plane. Any touch of the throttle? Trim.

And I'm not going to say you're hallucinating. Sometimes I wonder why the plane is doing what it's doing with the slightest touch. But I know that's probably me. This is probably THE most full fidelity, non-fly-by-wire aircraft in DCS. It's a new bar, and we'll all have to take time to adjust to it.
CaptJodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #7
GregP

One thing I noticed immediately is that the HUD symbology is very misleading if you look at it from the perspective of modern HUDs with their dynamic flight path markers. At first I was treating the bore sight line as an FPM and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't maintain level flight. It was then that I realized that putting that dot at 0 pitch angle almost never actually results in level flight. Instead you need to get comfortable looking at the vertical velocity ladder on the left and constantly trimming to zero it out.
i5-2500K @ 4.8 GHz / Asus P8P67 Pro / 16GB DDR3-1600 / GTX 1080 Ti / Sound Blaster Z / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / TrackIR5 / MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + MFDs / CH Products Throttle Quadrant / X-Keys XK-80 / X-Keys Professional / Panasonic TC-58AX800U 58" 4K TV

DCS Startup Videos
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
SonofEil

One thing I can recommend is spending some time in the F-5 if you have that module. After my first few F-14 flights I realized there are a lot of similarities between the way each flies (at least in DCS), but the F-5 is vastly less complicated to operate. You can focus on learning to fly with trim and without a HUD, the gauges are easy to read, and you don’t have fbw to hold your hand. I’m not great at flying the Tomcat yet but I’m catching on quickly and I think 200+ hrs of F-5 time helped a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP View Post
One thing I noticed immediately is that the HUD symbology is very misleading if you look at it from the perspective of modern HUDs with their dynamic flight path markers.
I’m pretty sure the sole purpose of the F-14 HUD is to try and kill you. I knew going in that the “horizon” is at +5 deg on the HUD, but I still don’t know why. WHY?? It just doesn’t make any logical sense!

Last edited by SonofEil; 03-14-2019 at 09:08 PM.
SonofEil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #9
Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP View Post
One thing I noticed immediately is that the HUD symbology is very misleading if you look at it from the perspective of modern HUDs with their dynamic flight path markers. At first I was treating the bore sight line as an FPM and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't maintain level flight. It was then that I realized that putting that dot at 0 pitch angle almost never actually results in level flight. Instead you need to get comfortable looking at the vertical velocity ladder on the left and constantly trimming to zero it out.
Great point with the vertical velocity vector.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #10
sze5003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Great point with the vertical velocity vector.
I was doing the same thing. Also notice how when you climb the pitch ladder bars move slowly compared to modern huds? I thought it was my PC lagging in VR with this module but I think it's normal.
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote