Desperately seeking fps for BS2

BaD CrC

I stopped playing this game a while ago, because no matter what i did, the FPS dropped below playable in battle.

I have tried pretty much everything suggested in this forum, and elsewhere like switching off EIST, hyperthreading, turning down options, setting maxfps, fiddling with nvidia inspector, editing the config.lua and so on and so on.

I run a i7 2600k @ constant 4,6Ghz with no downclocking (no EIST)- i've tried 5ghz with not much improvement, GTX 590 3gb, 8g 1600mhz CL9 ram. Most probable bottleneck is my hdd, which is 1 tb samsung f3 spinpoint 7200rpm. I should buy i SDD, but i don't think it will give me +20 fps.

I run on single 1920x1080 monitor and on low medium setup in-game.

i test all my tweaks with attached track. Please try it and let me know of your results. The worst fps drops are at the end of the track, so watch it trough - it's not that long. My frames drops somwhere between 14-16 fp

One of the forum moderators does this with Windows 7-64 bit with his gaming files; as well as Aces High did when they went from Windows XP to Windows 7; and I did it for DCS: A10C Warthog; and a separate folder for DCS: Black Shark 1 and 2, as one big installation that covers both:

Don't put the Black Shark initial setup and the consequent update patches in either C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) ,

but create a separate folder, lets say, "GAMES" to stash the files.

C:\GAMES\Ka-50-BLACK_SHARK (is what I title mine)\ then install under this for the Black Shark installation.

The Black Shark program I use, uses BS1 and BS2 and it is not made the same way as the A-10C program looking at the 2 different installations under MY COMPUTER to C: .

I can play BS1 with FC2, still and BS2 with the DCS: A10C . FC2 always has servers open to play in Multiplayer wee hours Eastern time zone (Zulu -5).

Aces High uses C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High\(then the .exe Desktop shortcut startup and the mess of the necessary folders and files).

Aces High found early on problems using the Program Files folder in Windows 7.

Maybe that would help you.

In MY DOCUMENTS I make folders for all my downloads for safe keeping and then no need to re-download them. Then I put the whole works on a big thumb drive as insurance.

Edited by ErichVon

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I do after I download a new update, I immediately defrag using the Windows 7 stock defrag utility which seems a lot better than what XP had. I usually run it twice.

I ran your (.trk) file in Single Player, in Replay, offline, not in Mutiplayer. In cockpit I was getting 24 or higher frames per second. Outside external view 40 to 60. I have almost zero experience making a mission. Thanks for the track file. That will be fun to play again and again. I have not cold started the Black Shark in about a month and already forgot some of the memorized start-up sequence. I immediately took control. I did run your track file as a movie and I saw the slow frame rates you were experiencing.

I don't know programming, so take my comments with a grain of salt. My experience, if a lot of gun rounds are being fired, each of those rounds is a big math problem for lack of the proper terminology. In max resolution there are a lot of math problems---algorithms that need to be calculated. Not just AA bullet streams, I have noticed especially with helicopters, the rotating blades are an issue and your track file has two wingmen right there. So, maybe drop the resolution. DCS I run my PC desktop in stock resolution if I am not running in 3D. I have a 3D monitor. BS1 is pretty cool in 3D and that runs at 120Hz. BS2 is not in 3D on my machine. I run the rest of DCS at 59Hz.

What I do in the other sim, if I go tanking ground vehicles, I run my single monitor at stock resolution. The Aces High tanking is much better than World of Tanks as to my experience. To see the enemy, and no icons are used to find them, maximum resolution is necessary. If I dogfight, I drop the resolution because it supposedly does not use as much math operations to interpret what is going on. I kill enemy planes in Aces High much better at lower resolution.

If I am in a B-17 or B-24 to kill enemy attacking me I drop my screen resolution even more. All I need is enough clarity to drop my bombs on target. After my bomb run, I go defensive, I climb to max altitude and drop all my graphics to minimum to ensure a faster/better kill of attacking enemy planes.

DCS is not Aces High, though.

I have two 512GB hard drives in a RAID0 setup. My graphics cards are two GT545 OEM in a dual SLI setup. But one of these days I will pick up a single GTX 580 graphics card once the price comes down some. My psu is 845 watts. That should be better for a couple of years.

I find I forget I said some things before. I probably am an Alzheimer's candidate, my short term memory really sucks.

Take care.

Edited by ErichVon

What I do after I download a new update, I immediately defrag using the Windows 7 stock ....etc.

The track is taken from a single mission called "death valley" which came with the game. I didn't make the mission.

But i did take a look at it with the mission editor, and what i saw is the mission has;

13 tanks (9 RU + 4 US), 5 APC:s (1 RU + 4 US), 4 artillery (RU), 3 Trans. vehicl.(RU), 3 Choppers (RU) and 2 fighter (RU).

that makes 30 vehicles, which one is player, so 29 AIs all together. It doesnt seem so high number for modern computers.

The resolution doesn't impact the fps at all. I tried with really ridiculous resolution at 1024x768 4:3, and the fps stays exactly the same. My ingame options are also quite low, and yes - the game doesnt look too good.

What I think, is the smoke that chokes the game for some reason regardless the processor and the graphics card and options used.

Core i7-2600K @ 4.7Ghz, Asus GTX 980 strix 4Gb VRAM, 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz, Samsung 1 TB SSD, Samsung spinpoint F3 HDD, MB P8P67 PRO rev 3.1.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if this will help, or is too late, but is something I experienced the other day.

I have KA50 BS2 set up on my desktop. I have my desktop set for remote access from my laptop. The other day, I remotely accessed my desktop to check something, then a few hours later tried to use it for a training mission in BS2 (not remotely). The frame rate was appalling, and the aircraft rotors, when viewed externally, were easily countable - I reckon a RRPM of around 3! As I had been tinkering with some various setup files I feared the worst, but before I reverted the changes I had made, did a reboot.

Problem solved!

So it appears accessing my desktop remotely screws the graphics frame rate, which was resolved by a reboot.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

• 9 months later...

I don't know if this is relevant for anyone (or just me), or it is already stated elsewhere, but I noticed a significant rise in FPS in DCS World when shifting away from ABRIS NAV page.

The other ABRIS pages works fine, but the NACV page seems to be requiring alot of extra CPU/GPU power. For some odd reason.